    No breach in your security has occurred. Your computer is safe.

    What I meant was can I add to zone so that I don't get Alert advisor any
    more?
    D@annyBoy, Oct 22, 2004

  2. D@annyBoy

    mike Guest

    as it's a ping, i think it must be from a pc connected to your system.
    have you set allow only listed mac addresses?

    mike

    "D@annyBoy" <> wrote in message
    > running WinXP SP2 with firewall disabled and running Zone Alarm
    > connecting to the net via wireless adsl router
    >
    > should I be concerned with this message?
    >
    > ZoneAlarm has blocked an inbound ping from the IP address 192.168.1.254
    >
    > No breach in your security has occurred. Your computer is safe.
    >
    > What I meant was can I add to zone so that I don't get Alert advisor any
    > more?

    ---
    mike, Oct 22, 2004

  3. D@annyBoy

    D@annyBoy Guest

    I am using a notebook to connect, no other computers

    have not list mac addresses

    D@annyBoy, Oct 22, 2004
  4. Your wireless router will be handing out IP addresses in the range
    192.168.***.*** to any computer which finds it can connect, so this Ping is
    coming from a machine connected to your wireless router. You may have an
    inquisitive neighbour, so don't add this address to the Trusted Zone until
    you know what's going on.

    It's usually enough to configure encryption, and WEP is enough to block all
    but the most determined attempt to connect. You can get encryption keys
    conveniently from http://www.andrewscompanies.com/tools/wep.asp. Study the
    manual for your router - it's usually quite simple to turn on shared key
    encryption.

    Of course, this address may be the router itself... If there is a facility
    to connect to it using a web browser, does that specify an IP address?

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London

    Philip Herlihy, Oct 22, 2004
  5. D@annyBoy

    Adam Membrey Guest

    Did Zone Alarm stipulate what sort of ping it was? eg was
    it ICMP, UDP etc?

    Are you using Ad-Hoc or Infrastructure for your LAN? If
    you're using infrastructure does your router have the
    ability to:

    a/ Use MAC filtering so only listed MAC addresses are able
    to connect
    b/ Show a list of current devices connected to it

    Also the next time you receive this response you might
    want to go to your command prompt and use netstat to see
    any active connections to your computer or do a ping -a to
    do a resolution to the IP name.

    Adam Membrey, Oct 22, 2004