    appreciate any comments from the guys on this list before I purchase it.

    Many thanks

    Roger
    Roger, Jan 8, 2006

  2. Roger

    Mike Easter Guest

    Roger wrote:
    > I've had Zone Alarm reccommended to me, and the trial version seems
    > OK. I'd appreciate any comments from the guys on this list before I
    > purchase it.

    Do you want the good news or the bad news?

    The good news is that the free ZA has never leaked 'extrusions' from
    grc's leaktest, whereas many other personal firewalls, free and paid,
    have. The other good news is that ZA Pro, with more features than ZA
    free, performs very favorably compared to other free and paid software
    firewalls.

    The bad news is that in general personal software firewalls are not
    hardware firewalls or even hardware defenses such as NAT devices. The
    other bad news is that a great many software firewall users make
    themselves crazy not knowing how to configure or properly use the
    information that they are getting from their firewalls.

    Software firewall users seem to have more trouble with that log
    information and alerts than do users of NAT devices, even if the NAT
    device users are doing just as much logging as the software firewallers.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 8, 2006

  3. Roger

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:34:33 -0000, "Roger" <>
    wrote:

    >I've had Zone Alarm reccommended to me, and the trial version seems OK. I'd
    >appreciate any comments from the guys on this list before I purchase it.

    I had ZA for many years. Had many problems with it. Often I'd have all
    of a sudden no internet access. Couldn't ping, etc. Disabled and
    enabled ZA, no go. Often a reboot would fix it. Other times I'd have
    to reinstall (learned to save the EXE). Often had to completely
    uninstall and reinstall.

    Switched to Sygate. Never had a problem.
    Evan Platt, Jan 8, 2006
  4. Roger

    fred-bloggs Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:34:33 -0000, "Roger" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I've had Zone Alarm reccommended to me, and the trial version seems
    >>OK. I'd appreciate any comments from the guys on this list before I
    >>purchase it.

    > I had ZA for many years. Had many problems with it. Often I'd have all
    > of a sudden no internet access. Couldn't ping, etc. Disabled and
    > enabled ZA, no go. Often a reboot would fix it. Other times I'd have
    > to reinstall (learned to save the EXE). Often had to completely
    > uninstall and reinstall.
    >
    > Switched to Sygate. Never had a problem.

    Sygate has been _discontinued_ by Norton (Symantec).
    http://www.sygate.com/free/spf_download.htm

    Kerio Personal is still available and free.
    http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

    --
    fred
    fred-bloggs, Jan 8, 2006
  5. Roger

    FML Guest

    Roger wrote:
    > I've had Zone Alarm reccommended to me, and the trial version seems OK. I'd
    > appreciate any comments from the guys on this list before I purchase it.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Roger

    I have been using ZAPro for several years. Although I am behind hardware
    firewalls both at home and at my office (where I really don't need ZAP),
    I travel a lot and find myself getting on-line at hotels, airports,
    clients, etc. ZAP has always worked well for me.
    FML, Jan 8, 2006
  6. Roger

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 08 Jan 2006 16:57:20 GMT, "fred-bloggs"
    <> wrote:

    >Sygate has been _discontinued_ by Norton (Symantec).
    >http://www.sygate.com/free/spf_download.htm

    Shoot, I thought it was still available as a download, even though it
    was discontinued.

    >Kerio Personal is still available and free.
    >http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

    How would you compare that with Sygate?

    Looking at the site, it says the download is a evaluation?

    Evan
    Evan Platt, Jan 9, 2006
  7. Roger

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 23:06:22 -0800, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >>Kerio Personal is still available and free.
    >>http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

    >How would you compare that with Sygate?
    >
    >Looking at the site, it says the download is a evaluation?

    Ok, the e-mailed reg info to me says:
    "Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall 4 can run in a free mode vs. a
    full (paid) mode. Install it now, and for the first 30 days it
    will run in 'full' mode. After that, it shuts down selected
    features, but will continue to run in 'free' mode"."

    I can't locate anything on the site that says what the 'selected
    features' that will be shut down are.

    Am I missing something painfully obvious?
    Evan Platt, Jan 9, 2006
  8. Roger

    fred-bloggs Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 23:06:22 -0800, Evan Platt
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>>Kerio Personal is still available and free.
    >>>http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

    >>How would you compare that with Sygate?

    Over 3 years I went from ZoneAlarm to Sygate to Kerio to a NAT router. I
    can't remember _why_ I switched from Sygate to Kerio but I wouldn't go
    back. I like Kerio's control over particular ports and protocols.

    >>Looking at the site, it says the download is a evaluation?

    > Ok, the e-mailed reg info to me says:
    > "Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall 4 can run in a free mode vs. a
    > full (paid) mode. Install it now, and for the first 30 days it
    > will run in 'full' mode. After that, it shuts down selected
    > features, but will continue to run in 'free' mode"."
    >
    > I can't locate anything on the site that says what the 'selected
    > features' that will be shut down are.
    >
    > Am I missing something painfully obvious?

    At the bottom of
    http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm
    is a table of comparison between the free and $15 versions.

    The paid-for version's additional features are:
    Host-based Intrusion Prevention System
    Content Filtering
    Syslog
    Runs as Internet Gateway
    Remote administration
    Password protected configuration

    --
    fred
    fred-bloggs, Jan 9, 2006
  9. Roger

    Jarhead Guest

    fred-bloggs wrote:
    > Evan Platt <> wrote in

    >>>How would you compare that with Sygate?
    >>>

    > Over 3 years I went from ZoneAlarm to Sygate to Kerio to a NAT router. I
    > can't remember _why_ I switched from Sygate to Kerio but I wouldn't go
    > back. I like Kerio's control over particular ports and protocols.
    >

    >>>Looking at the site, it says the download is a evaluation?

    >>Ok, the e-mailed reg info to me says:
    >>"Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall 4 can run in a free mode vs. a
    >>full (paid) mode. Install it now, and for the first 30 days it
    >>will run in 'full' mode. After that, it shuts down selected
    >>features, but will continue to run in 'free' mode"."
    >>
    >>I can't locate anything on the site that says what the 'selected
    >>features' that will be shut down are.
    >>
    >>Am I missing something painfully obvious?

    > At the bottom of
    > http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm
    > is a table of comparison between the free and $15 versions.
    >
    > The paid-for version's additional features are:
    > Host-based Intrusion Prevention System
    > Content Filtering
    > Syslog
    > Runs as Internet Gateway
    > Remote administration
    > Password protected configuration

    How do they compare when checked by Gibson's ShieldsUp?

    --
    Jarhead
    Jarhead, Jan 9, 2006
  10. Roger

    joevan Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 08:25:27 -0600, Jarhead <>
    wrote:

    >fred-bloggs wrote:
    >> Evan Platt <> wrote in

    >> Over 3 years I went from ZoneAlarm to Sygate to Kerio to a NAT router. I
    >> can't remember _why_ I switched from Sygate to Kerio but I wouldn't go
    >> back. I like Kerio's control over particular ports and protocols.

    >>>Ok, the e-mailed reg info to me says:
    >>>"Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall 4 can run in a free mode vs. a
    >>>full (paid) mode. Install it now, and for the first 30 days it
    >>>will run in 'full' mode. After that, it shuts down selected
    >>>features, but will continue to run in 'free' mode"."
    >>>
    >>>I can't locate anything on the site that says what the 'selected
    >>>features' that will be shut down are.
    >>>
    >>>Am I missing something painfully obvious?

    >> At the bottom of
    >> http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm
    >> is a table of comparison between the free and $15 versions.
    >>
    >> The paid-for version's additional features are:
    >> Host-based Intrusion Prevention System
    >> Content Filtering
    >> Syslog
    >> Runs as Internet Gateway
    >> Remote administration
    >> Password protected configuration
    >>

    >How do they compare when checked by Gibson's ShieldsUp?

    Here is one test with ZA.
    Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
    One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE!
    Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be
    answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an
    attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of
    either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND
    (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port
    stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well
    hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.
    Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
    All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED.
    (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to
    vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be
    VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS
    networking protocol over the Internet.

    and another.
    here is with all ports of the first 1056

    Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single
    packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a
    result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused
    to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint
    of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on
    the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their
    users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing
    themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very
    nice.

    I had open ports with kerio. Not sure why but I like the security of
    ZA.
    If kerio can do the same I would go back to it.
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Jan 9, 2006
  11. Re: constipation

    Anakotaka Kibinadamu, Jan 9, 2006
  12. Jarhead wrote:

    > How do they compare when checked by Gibson's ShieldsUp?

    I've been using Kerio for years, and Gibson can't find my computer. <g>
    It shows up as completely stealthed. My wife has the free ZoneAlarm on
    her computer and the result is the same.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 9, 2006
  13. Roger

    boots66 Guest

    on or around 09 Jan 2006, reportedly in
    news:, Evan Platt
    <> was rumoured to have supposedly alleged:

    >>Sygate has been _discontinued_ by Norton (Symantec).
    >>http://www.sygate.com/free/spf_download.htm

    > Shoot, I thought it was still available as a download, even though it
    > was discontinued.

    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=sygate

    ....but tis prob'ly better to use a proggie that will continue to be updated.

    --
    It has been said that man is a rational animal.
    All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
    boots66, Jan 9, 2006
  14. Roger

    Jarhead Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Jarhead wrote:
    >

    >>How do they compare when checked by Gibson's ShieldsUp?

    > I've been using Kerio for years, and Gibson can't find my computer. <g>
    > It shows up as completely stealthed. My wife has the free ZoneAlarm on
    > her computer and the result is the same.

    Thanks
    Jarhead, Jan 9, 2006
  15. Roger

    Roger Guest

    "Roger" <> wrote in message
    > I've had Zone Alarm reccommended to me, and the trial version seems OK.
    > I'd appreciate any comments from the guys on this list before I purchase
    > it.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Roger

    Tnx for all the comments over the past week

    Roger
    Roger, Jan 14, 2006