    laptop) is running Win XP Pro and Computer B (a desktop) is running Win 2K.
    Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to set up the right setting
    to solve this problem.
    Guest, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Guest

    philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:AH7Rb.116930$...
    > I recently went from dial-up Internet access to broadband through a cable
    > modem and have been running Zone Alarm on the two computers in my small

    home
    > network using a Linlksys BESR-41
    > hub-router. Every thing has worked well except that I am unable to

    access
    > Computer B from Computer A or its attached network printer. I have added
    > Computer A to the "trusted zone" and then I can access shared files and

    the
    > printer but every time I reboot I have the same problem. Computer A (a
    > laptop) is running Win XP Pro and Computer B (a desktop) is running Win

    2K.
    > Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to set up the right

    setting
    > to solve this problem.

    I had a similar problem and ended up having to turn the security down from
    hi to medium

    that did the trick. I use the free version of zone alarm and would suppose
    the pro version

    would have better configurability
    philo, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Guest

    Duane Arnold Guest

    <> wrote in

    > I recently went from dial-up Internet access to broadband through a
    > cable modem and have been running Zone Alarm on the two computers in
    > my small home network using a Linlksys BESR-41
    > hub-router. Every thing has worked well except that I am unable to
    > access Computer B from Computer A or its attached network printer. I
    > have added Computer A to the "trusted zone" and then I can access
    > shared files and the printer but every time I reboot I have the same
    > problem. Computer A (a laptop) is running Win XP Pro and Computer B
    > (a desktop) is running Win 2K. Can someone give me detailed
    > instructions on how to set up the right setting to solve this problem.

    You're behind a NAT router which is basic type of FW.

    If you're having problems with a 3rd party host based FW, then dump it
    and go to IPsec which is on the Win2k and XP O/S(s).

    You'll notice in the chart about the Windows Networking ports on a LAN
    and Ipsec's configuration to allow traffic between machines on a LAN.

    http://www.petri.co.il/ipsec_block_ping.htm

    Google is loaded with the basic howto(s) on IPsec and there is the *Help
    section* on the O/S as well.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windows2000.php

    The protection starts with the O/S and everything else is secondary to it
    in the protection, that includes the router, FW, AV and anything else.

    The buck stops at the O/S.

    Ipsec can be used to stop outbound connections by port, protocol, DNS, IP
    etc, etc.

    Use Active Ports (free use Google) to watch inbound and outbound
    connections on the machine.

    Use Walwatcher (free) to watch inbound and outbound traffic to and from
    the BEF model router.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 26, 2004
  4. Guest

    Drifter Guest

    >I recently went from dial-up Internet access to broadband through a cable
    >modem and have been running Zone Alarm on the two computers in my small home
    >network using a Linlksys BESR-41
    >hub-router. Every thing has worked well except that I am unable to access
    >Computer B from Computer A or its attached network printer. I have added
    >Computer A to the "trusted zone" and then I can access shared files and the
    >printer but every time I reboot I have the same problem. Computer A (a
    >laptop) is running Win XP Pro and Computer B (a desktop) is running Win 2K.
    >Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to set up the right setting
    >to solve this problem.

    I think the latest version of ZA pro has a couple of bugs. I have
    emailed Zone labs repeatedly and I either get ignored or get one of
    the idiotic stock email replies.

    Drifter
    Drifter, Jan 26, 2004
  5. Guest

    Trent© Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:26:08 GMT, <> wrote:

    >I recently went from dial-up Internet access to broadband through a cable
    >modem and have been running Zone Alarm on the two computers in my small home
    >network using a Linlksys BESR-41
    >hub-router. Every thing has worked well except that I am unable to access
    >Computer B from Computer A or its attached network printer. I have added
    >Computer A to the "trusted zone" and then I can access shared files and the
    >printer but every time I reboot I have the same problem. Computer A (a
    >laptop) is running Win XP Pro and Computer B (a desktop) is running Win 2K.
    >Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to set up the right setting
    >to solve this problem.

    Did you have this problem before you install ZA?

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese, man!
    Trent©, Jan 27, 2004
  6. Guest

    Jerry G. Guest

    Uninstall Zone Alarm. Use a router that has a built in firewall that can go
    only between the high speed modem and your network, or get an external
    hardware firewall.

    These firewall software's are heavy on resources and mostly cause the
    problems you are describing.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG