Zone Alarm

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Boomer, Dec 29, 2003.

  1. Boomer

    Boomer Guest

    "TRADESMAN" <> wrote in
    news:bsoagq$eq87m$-berlin.de:

    > Over Christmas I got a notice from ZA, that an updated version was
    > available. When I installed it, it came with something called
    > ZAclient. I then noticed that this was making an outgoing internet
    > connection every 10 minutes or so. After I disabled it, I got a
    > warning message that ZA would no longer be able to check for
    > updates automatically. Surely there's no way on this Earth that
    > ZA should have to check for updates every 10 minutes or so? I know
    > that they have been taken over, or amalgamated or whatever, but
    > could anyone shed any light on the matter?
    > TIA

    Check the ZA forums and alt.privacy.spyware also.

    I happen to prefer/recommend Outpost firewall.

    TRADESMAN, Dec 29, 2003

  3. Boomer

    TRADESMAN Guest

    ZA UPDATE

    TRADESMAN, Dec 29, 2003
  4. Boomer

    BreastLover Guest

    Is there a particular reason that you would recommend Outpost over
    Zonealarm?

    BreastLover, Dec 29, 2003
  5. Boomer

    Sano Guest

    How 'bout my opinion? ZA spends their money on marketing, not their s/w.

    I own it and won't use it.

    "BreastLover" <> spluttered in

    > Is there a particular reason that you would recommend Outpost over
    > Zonealarm?

    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >> "TRADESMAN" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Over Christmas I got a notice from ZA, that an updated version was
    >> > available. When I installed it, it came with something called
    >> > ZAclient.

    <snip>

    --
    If a computer won't do what needs to be done, lie to it.
    Don't try this trick on people.
    Sano, Dec 29, 2003
  6. Boomer

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 07:04:16 GMT, BreastLover wrote:

    >Is there a particular reason that you would recommend Outpost over
    >Zonealarm?

    Although I was fairly happy with ZA (free) and later ZAP , it had some
    service hang issues and was hard to clear out all registry settings and
    data files to reload it.

    My ZAP 1 year renew expired a few months ago and I stopped using it long
    before that.

    After many threads on the subject in 24HSHD I went with the Outpost
    route. I prefer the log file viewer, the rules for active content blocks
    part of the plugins. As well as the global settings, ICMP options and
    switch between stealth / normal mode.

    Another factor was the cost, a 5 PC family pack was cheaper than the 2/3
    other packages just about to expire after 1 year free.

    >"Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >> "TRADESMAN" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Over Christmas I got a notice from ZA, that an updated version was
    >> > available. When I installed it, it came with something called
    >> > ZAclient. I then noticed that this was making an outgoing internet
    >> > connection every 10 minutes or so. After I disabled it, I got a
    >> > warning message that ZA would no longer be able to check for
    >> > updates automatically. Surely there's no way on this Earth that

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Dec 29, 2003