    Don't understand this part.

    Thanks,

    Bun Mui
    Bun Mui, May 3, 2004

  2. Bun Mui

    °Mike° Guest

    Huh?

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    On 3 May 2004 10:22:04 -0700, in
    <>
    Bun Mui scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 3, 2004

  3. (Bun Mui) wrote in

    > Zone alarm- Program Control- Server- Trusted/ Internet
    >

    > My programs such as MSN messenger 6.1 have ?? in Server- Trusted/
    > Internet.
    >
    > Other programs such as Mirc, Music match, Opera Internet browser,
    > zone alarm, Internet Explorer 6 has all ?? in Server- Trusted/
    > Internet.
    >
    > Just wonder when I should click allow?
    >
    > Don't understand this part.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bun Mui

    Hello there. In your "Program Control" screen > Programs tab, "?" means
    "ask" so if that program wants to either get out, or accept a connection
    from the outside, ZA will throw up a ballon and tell you what it wants and
    ask you if you want to let it happen.

    You can either say "yes," "yes always," "no," or "never."

    "Server" provides some service to other client programs, it usually means
    you allow it to listen for and make connections from your machine to the
    internet and back.

    Might be a good idea to just leave the question marks as is, until you
    determine which programs you want to always allow access, then change the
    options as you become sure of what each program is doing or trying to do.

    The examples I would offer is like this:

    On those programs that are utilities like WinZip and WinRar, and which I
    do not want to update automatically (rather do 'em manually) I red-X them
    across the board.

    On most Windows stuff I red-X them, except I allow Windows Explorer access
    to the internet, but red-X the server and mail options. On ipconfig, I
    allow it (green check) both internet and server access but red-X it - not
    so much that it could be exploited by a virus to send mail as a control so
    I can readily and quickly scan that screen for any changes. When ZA makes
    a new entry, updates and existing entry, or makes some major change, lucky
    for me, it will put a question mark in that entry which alerts me to look
    deeper.

    mIRC gets green checks across the board, but red-X'ed mail. I may change
    it, depending on the circumstances and ambient environment - and then
    change it back when things cool down. That's probably merely a paranoia
    spell on my part - but 'hey' it works for me. (o;

    On IE, Opera, and other browsers, I green check the internet column, but
    red-X the server column and mail column.

    Mostly on the mail column, I only allow my E-mail clients, and E-mail
    filters a green check there - everything else gets a red-X - because I
    don't want mail to be able to go out from anywhere else via SMTP which is
    often exploited by Trojans, spyware and viruses.

    After you use ZA for a while, you will understand it better and be able to
    understand what your different programs are doing. I patrol and keep that
    Programs tab sceen cleaned up - like when I uninstall a program, sometimes
    I have to manually remove it from ZA.

    Also, I have gone on a self-will-run-riot and just removed a bunch of
    program entries that I didn't understand from there. What happens is, ZA
    will recognize anything not listed in there which is trying to connect or
    receive connections from the internet; it will re-enter the program and
    will ask you for permissions - so you can just add them back that way and
    allow only the minimum permissions needed to make sure some bad-thangy has
    not hijacked one of your programs.

    You are really very safe with ZA's default settings so basically, you can
    always start from there again if you need to.

    Best of luck!
    Bucky Breeder, May 3, 2004