zone alarm problem?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Sally M, Aug 27, 2004.

  1. Sally M

    Sally M Guest

    Actually I don't know if it's a problem with ZA or a virus spyware
    problem.

    I was over at my cousins taking a look at his computer problems and we
    installed the new ADAWARE and the new SPYBOT as well as the KASPERSKY
    AV TRIAL. We ran them one afte rthe other and found a large number of
    problems (hundreds of pieces of adware and numerous worms and trojans)
    and got rid og them all. I can't list them as I'm not over at his
    place right now. Afterward the machine was working beautifully and for
    the first time in months was booting properly.

    The problem is when we tried to get onto the net IE just hung and then
    crashed (illegal function error) then the whole thing froze solid
    forcing a cold boot. Did exactly the same thing second time... this
    time we noticed the KASPERSKY icon flash in the bottom of IE before
    the illegal function box.

    So we had to cold boot again and I uninstalled KASPERSKY and tried
    getting onto the net with IE. No illegal function this time but it
    just couldn't find a site. So I closed down ZONE ALARM and tried again
    and it got on the net no problem. So I checked all the settings and
    everything looked OK. Uninstalled and reinstalled ZONE ALARM but the
    same problem... completely unable to access the net with ZA running.
    By this tinme it was getting late and I had to leave but I don't like
    leaving him without a firewall.

    Is it possible that one of the worms, trojans or spyware programs
    removed is making it impossible to run a firewall?

    One thing we removed manually was a P2P program that seemed to be
    running in the background all the time but we couldn't find anywhere
    in the program selection under STARTUP. We uninstalled it from the
    control panel (add remove) but the name was something I'd never heard
    of before (something like P2P NETWORKING... it almost looked generic).

    Sally M, Aug 27, 2004

  2. Sally M

    s to s Guest

    ivc ditched ZA - too many probs with it lateley

    got a h/w router with nat, so no unwanted traffic seems to get through

    SP2 conflicts with ZA i hear, and SP2 has its own ZA-like firewall

    ive not loaded SP2 - waiting for others to iron out the bugs

    s to s, Aug 29, 2004