    Is there a way around this, since McAffee seems pretty decent and I know
    it has detected things that the ZA AV component has not?

    Thanks.
    AllButOne, Jun 19, 2006

  2. AllButOne

    old man Guest

    Trying to run two AV apps will lead to conflicts, and as such niether may
    work
    PS doesnt matter whos brand

    old man, Jun 19, 2006

  3. AllButOne

    poonfrancis Guest

    I've known somewhere in INET download.com that you would not have to have
    two security systems at the same time, as both would clash each other and
    result in slower performance of your computer. So you would have to make a
    painful decision of ridding out of one of them.

    poonfrancis, Jun 19, 2006
  4. AllButOne

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "AllButOne" <> wrote in message
    >I just downloaded the most recent Zone Alarm Pro update but when I tried to
    >install it, it objected to my McAffee AV, and said I needed to uninstall
    >it!
    >
    > Is there a way around this, since McAffee seems pretty decent and I know
    > it has detected things that the ZA AV component has not?

    What you should do is download the application save it to the HDD,
    disconnect the computer from the Internet, shutdown all running applications
    and then do the install

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 19, 2006
  5. AllButOne

    Top Guest

    AllButOne explained :
    > I just downloaded the most recent Zone Alarm Pro update but when I tried to
    > install it, it objected to my McAffee AV, and said I needed to uninstall it!
    >
    > Is there a way around this, since McAffee seems pretty decent and I know it
    > has detected things that the ZA AV component has not?

    Best advice is put down the keyboard and slowly move away.

    You will find people that will tell you McAffee is the best thing since
    sliced bread. Just as many will tell ZA is the devils work. Pick one to
    use, learn all about it that you can and keep it up to date.

    Top

    --
    If you can read this thank a teacher, if you are reading this in
    English thank a Soldier.
    Top, Jun 19, 2006
  6. AllButOne wrote:

    > I just downloaded the most recent Zone Alarm Pro update but when I tried
    > to install it, it objected to my McAffee AV, and said I needed to
    > uninstall it!
    >
    > Is there a way around this, since McAffee seems pretty decent and I know
    > it has detected things that the ZA AV component has not?

    There is a big problem with av and "desktop firewall" vendors: they want to
    get into each others domain, so "firewalls" may contain "some" av function
    while av programs may as well do the "application firewall" thing.
    But guess, these addons are often made with the hot needle. Unfortunately
    not too easy to turn off either.
    You may use 2 on-demand scanners, but on-access-scan should be done by one
    program only, because of locking problems and performance costs.
    Similar for desktop "firewalls": only one please, because you never know
    which one actually takes the hook - and the others will be bypassed then.
    Often the most crappy/least maintained desktop firewall takes over, and you
    just *think* you are protected.
    Btw., a good router with address translation (nat) does the same job in
    hardware. You cannot rely upon application level "firewalls" because they
    are too easy to circumvent by malware you by yourself installed from e-mail
    attachments or by using IE and activex on malicious sites.
    Walter Mautner, Jun 19, 2006
  7. AllButOne

    Win @ MiC Guest

    Well said

    --

    Regards
    Win

    Moore in Control P.C's
    Phone 021 72 4732

    Win @ MiC, Jun 19, 2006
  8. AllButOne

    Vanguard Guest

    "old man" wrote in message
    > Trying to run two AV apps will lead to conflicts, and as such niether
    > may
    > work
    >
    > "AllButOne" wrote ...
    >> I just downloaded the most recent Zone Alarm Pro update but when I
    >> tried
    >> to install it, it objected to my McAffee AV, and said I needed to
    >> uninstall it!

    Does ZoneAlarm Pro now have an anti-virus component in it? It used to
    be just a firewall.

    There is the possibility that the real problem is that the OP installed
    the McAfee *suite* which includes a firewall so the real conflict is in
    running 2 software firewalls on the same host.
    Vanguard, Jun 19, 2006
  9. AllButOne

    Sunny Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "old man" wrote in message
    >> Trying to run two AV apps will lead to conflicts, and as such niether may
    >> work
    >>
    >> "AllButOne" wrote ...
    >>> I just downloaded the most recent Zone Alarm Pro update but when I tried
    >>> to install it, it objected to my McAffee AV, and said I needed to
    >>> uninstall it!

    > Does ZoneAlarm Pro now have an anti-virus component in it? It used to be
    > just a firewall.

    There is no anti virus in ZA Pro.
    ZA Security Suite does.
    ZA Anti Virus is a seperately available product, as is ZA Anti Spyware.
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

    Sunny, Jun 20, 2006
  10. AllButOne

    Jan Ras Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> schreef in
    bericht news:...
    > AllButOne wrote:
    >
    > > I just downloaded the most recent Zone Alarm Pro update but when I tried
    > > to install it, it objected to my McAffee AV, and said I needed to
    > > uninstall it!
    > >
    > > Is there a way around this, since McAffee seems pretty decent and I know
    > > it has detected things that the ZA AV component has not?
    > >

    > There is a big problem with av and "desktop firewall" vendors: they want

    > get into each others domain, so "firewalls" may contain "some" av function
    > while av programs may as well do the "application firewall" thing.
    > But guess, these addons are often made with the hot needle. Unfortunately
    > not too easy to turn off either.
    > You may use 2 on-demand scanners, but on-access-scan should be done by one
    > program only, because of locking problems and performance costs.
    > Similar for desktop "firewalls": only one please, because you never know
    > which one actually takes the hook - and the others will be bypassed then.
    > Often the most crappy/least maintained desktop firewall takes over, and

    you
    > just *think* you are protected.
    > Btw., a good router with address translation (nat) does the same job in
    > hardware. You cannot rely upon application level "firewalls" because they
    > are too easy to circumvent by malware you by yourself installed from

    e-mail
    > attachments or by using IE and activex on malicious sites.
    > --
    > vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin patterns
    > on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
    > incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    > Linux 2.6.16-mm1,Xorg7.0 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Hi,
    I am running both Mcafee Security Centre
    McAfee VirusScan Version 10.0.27
    Scan Engine Version 4450

    and ZoneAlarm Pro version:6.1.744.001
    TrueVector version:6.1.744.001
    Driver version:6.1.744.001
    Anti-spyware engine version:4.1.7.0

    they are running perfectly together at the moment,
    My OS is M$ Windows Millennium Edition
    (build 4.90.3000) which is guaranteed not to help any inherent
    incompatabilities.
    Computer is an HP pavilion 7860 - 512 Mb ram
    (it's a Dinosaur. 867 megahertz Intel Pentium III)

    I seem to remember that I first had to install Mcafee and then disable it
    while I installed ZAPro. and in that order.
    Hope that this helps a little.
    Jan.
    Jan Ras, Jun 23, 2006
  11. Jan Ras wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I am running both Mcafee Security Centre
    > McAfee VirusScan Version 10.0.27
    > Scan Engine Version 4450
    >
    > and ZoneAlarm Pro version:6.1.744.001
    > TrueVector version:6.1.744.001
    > Driver version:6.1.744.001
    > Anti-spyware engine version:4.1.7.0
    >
    > they are running perfectly together at the moment,
    > My OS is M$ Windows Millennium Edition
    > (build 4.90.3000) which is guaranteed not to help any inherent
    > incompatabilities.
    > Computer is an HP pavilion 7860 - 512 Mb ram
    > (it's a Dinosaur. 867 megahertz Intel Pentium III)

    Guess your computer could run a bit smoother/faster with less burden ...

    > I seem to remember that I first had to install Mcafee and then disable it
    > while I installed ZAPro. and in that order.
    > Hope that this helps a little.

    Just because a program can be installed, it is no guarantee to work as
    expected, under such conditions.
    Just a question: how often did ZA barf and McAfee not, or reverse?
    Did they ever both find the same intrusion or homephoning attempt at the
    same time?
    Do you say they didn't, or since you installed B, A didn't ever pop up
    anymore except for updates and maybe a "program B wants to access the
    internet, allow/deny" question?
    With "firewalls", actually one of them is "tunneling through" the other,
    often enough. Or you are forced to put a big hole into one of them to make
    the other "work".
    Two on-access virus scanners often enough block each others files, and if
    you can look at logfiles you often find "could not scan file blabla because
    locked". Maybe the inferior product even locks the file, and the superior
    scanner cannot scan it ....
    Walter Mautner, Jun 23, 2006
  12. AllButOne

    Jan Ras Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> schreef in
    bericht news:...

    ----- I have 6 blokes pushing the bugger from behind!
    -----

    -----Never so far.
    > Did they ever both find the same intrusion or homephoning attempt at the
    > same time?

    ----- No.

    ----- ZA (Firewall) does what it' suposed to without complaint. (12203
    intrusions blocked since instalation)
    ----- Mcafee Security Centre (virus catcher)
    ----- McAfee VirusScan Version 10.0.27
    ----- Scan Engine Version 4450
    ------also does what it's suposed to without complaint
    ----- They seem to work together very well.
    ----- For example ZA catches suspect attachments, quarantines them and asks
    "Do you want to open the can of worms?"
    ----- Answer "Yes" and Mcafee responds immediately and asks all the same
    appropriate questions resulting in a
    ----- quarantined or deleted suspect file.
    ----- I am connected 24/7 on the cable so I run in "Stealth Mode" (Highest
    security settings), I haven't had a problem in ------ 5 years.

    ---- No.
    > Two on-access virus scanners often enough block each others files, and if
    > you can look at logfiles you often find "could not scan file blabla

    because
    > locked". Maybe the inferior product even locks the file, and the superior
    > scanner cannot scan it ....

    ---- I also run "Spyware blaster" in the background, it also pops its head
    up
    now and then having automatically removed a bunch low importance cookies and
    stuf.
    Jan Ras, Jun 24, 2006