    Poster Guest

    I currently use the free issue of Zone Alarm. Is the upgrade to ZA Pro worth
    the expense? Will I gain any usefulness?

    Poster, Apr 26, 2004

  2. Poster wrote:

    > I currently use the free issue of Zone Alarm. Is the upgrade to ZA Pro worth
    > the expense? Will I gain any usefulness?

    Why not try the 15 day trial of Pro and see if it hits the spot? The
    number of updates that they seem to be issuing these days, each giving
    you a new 15 day trial, you may not need to buy it anyhow :)

    Alternatively, you could list the extra features of Pro, one by one,
    and ask the questions, "Do I already have something else that does
    that?" and "What me worry?"

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 26, 2004

  3. Poster

    Ionizer Guest

    "Poster" <> wrote in message
    > I currently use the free issue of Zone Alarm. Is the upgrade to ZA Pro

    worth
    > the expense? Will I gain any usefulness?

    It depends what features of the Pro version you would make use of. I'm
    running the Pro version but make very little use of its extra features.

    Cache Cleaner: I do use this periodically.
    Password Protection: My wife and I are the only ones using this computer so
    I do not use this feature.
    Advanced Email Protection: I rely on my Norton AV to scan incoming messages
    so I do not use this feature.
    Web filtering: I don't want to censor my access to the internet so I do not
    use this feature.
    Pop-up Blocking: I use this on rare occasion when I know I'm heading into
    nefarious waters. Otherwise, I don't use it- it interferes with access to
    Hotmail, etc.
    Identity Data Protection: I don't use this feature either. I'm not in the
    habit of spreading personal security numbers wherever I go, and don't have
    any kids to worry about doing so.

    It's an individual decision- if you will make use of the additional features
    of the Pro version, then it is worth the money. In my case, as it turns
    out, it was not.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Apr 26, 2004
  4. Poster

    trout Guest

    Poster wrote:

    > I currently use the free issue of Zone Alarm. Is the upgrade to ZA
    > Pro worth the expense? Will I gain any usefulness?

    What does it *not* do, that you want it to do?
    Look at their comparison charts, and decide if there are features that
    you think are worth paying for:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y21F21128

    Frankly; I believe that anything vaguely useful can be done with
    other free programs. Better to decide what you want to do, and find a
    way to do it; than buy a program and try to figure what you want to use
    it for.
    --
    "Or, short answer: 'probably not'."

    trout, Apr 26, 2004
  5. trout wrote:

    > Poster wrote:
    >

    >>I currently use the free issue of Zone Alarm. Is the upgrade to ZA
    >>Pro worth the expense? Will I gain any usefulness?

    > What does it *not* do, that you want it to do?
    > Look at their comparison charts, and decide if there are features that
    > you think are worth paying for:
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y21F21128
    >
    > Frankly; I believe that anything vaguely useful can be done with
    > other free programs. Better to decide what you want to do, and find a
    > way to do it; than buy a program and try to figure what you want to use
    > it for.

    So the rumour persists, you're cheap.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 27, 2004
  6. Poster

    trout Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > trout wrote:

    <snip>

    >> Frankly; I believe that anything vaguely useful can be done with
    >> other free programs. Better to decide what you want to do, and find a
    >> way to do it; than buy a program and try to figure what you want to
    >> use it for.

    > So the rumour persists, you're cheap.

    I'll tell you, if you give me a dollar.
    --
    "Make it $6, and I'll tell you how to become fabulously wealthy. And
    popular. And not so funny-looking."

    trout, Apr 27, 2004
  7. > I currently use the free issue of Zone Alarm. Is the upgrade to ZA Pro
    > worth the expense? Will I gain any usefulness?

    As every one else has said, depends if you would use or need the advanced
    features

    Cache Cleaner: I do this manually

    Password Protection: Don't need

    Advanced Email Protection: I use AVast and Pegasus Mail don't have to worry
    about email viruses and VBS scripts etc...

    Web filtering/Pop-up Blocking: I use Proxomitron does both and more...

    Identity Data Protection: I don't have that type of data on my pc, and
    never will so I don't need it.

    Visit it ZonLabs site, go through the advance features and see if you need
    them

    FORT Freeware: http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

    The future is our past and our past is our future.

    Bebop & Rocksteady, Apr 27, 2004
  8. "Poster" <> wrote in message
    > I currently use the free issue of Zone Alarm. Is the upgrade to ZA Pro

    worth
    > the expense? Will I gain any usefulness?

    The only useful addition is being able to write expert firewall rules. The
    other options are essentially useless and can be done better by other
    applications or scripting.

    Truth Monopoly, Apr 27, 2004
  9. Poster

    John Guest

    why pay for zone alarm pro when you can get ' sygate ' for free , which is
    the best firewall you can get or pay 40 bucks for sygate pro if you really
    need a pro version of a firewall

    zone alarm is a joke if you ask me

    John, Apr 27, 2004