    Does anybody have any ideas about what I should do ??
    cheers
    bj

    bj, Nov 22, 2003

  2. bj

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <bpomkq$u6f$>,
    says...
    > I have just installed the latest zonealarm update and now can't get on the
    > internet with zonealarm running (i just get server not found) I did visit
    > their sitte but find it incomprehensible;they seem to have realised that
    > there is something wrong with it ie. some games don't work anymore etc.(it
    > would probably take me a couple of hours to figure the whole thing out) So
    > I decided to address my problems to this site
    > 1)I did a system restore a day before updating zonealarm
    > and it told me that it had to rename a couple of files .I just assumed that
    > the computer would be able to deal with that itself
    > 2) I update zonealarm
    > 3) Internet doesn't work and when I went to the Program
    > controll bit and clicked on Properties a wee box came up to tell me that eg
    > 1. windows can't find "C:\/Program Files\Outlook express\msimn.exe
    > eg 2 Oject 800000 This parameter is incorrect
    >
    > Does anybody have any ideas about what I should do ??
    > cheers
    > bj

    I upgraded to the latest version today as well and I am having no
    problems at all.

    --
    _________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Nov 23, 2003

  3. bj

    Fowl Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:06:23 -0000, "bj"
    <> wrote:

    >I have just installed the latest zonealarm update and now can't get on the
    >internet with zonealarm running (i just get server not found) I did visit
    >their sitte but find it incomprehensible;they seem to have realised that
    >there is something wrong with it ie. some games don't work anymore etc.(it
    >would probably take me a couple of hours to figure the whole thing out) So
    >I decided to address my problems to this site
    >1)I did a system restore a day before updating zonealarm
    >and it told me that it had to rename a couple of files .I just assumed that
    >the computer would be able to deal with that itself
    >2) I update zonealarm
    >3) Internet doesn't work and when I went to the Program
    >controll bit and clicked on Properties a wee box came up to tell me that eg
    >1. windows can't find "C:\/Program Files\Outlook express\msimn.exe
    >eg 2 Oject 800000 This parameter is incorrect
    >
    >Does anybody have any ideas about what I should do ??
    > cheers
    >bj

    If it's the Licenced Version, send an email to support. (from a
    friends PC, use his email addy)

    They give good reponse,as the update also gave me problems

    To Reply: madballs64 (at) gmx (dot) net

    Fowl, Nov 23, 2003
  4. bj

    fob Guest

    "Fowl" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:06:23 -0000, "bj"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have just installed the latest zonealarm update and now can't get on the
    > >internet with zonealarm running (i just get server not found) I did visit
    > >their sitte but find it incomprehensible;they seem to have realised that
    > >there is something wrong with it ie. some games don't work anymore etc.(it
    > >would probably take me a couple of hours to figure the whole thing out) So
    > >I decided to address my problems to this site
    > >1)I did a system restore a day before updating zonealarm
    > >and it told me that it had to rename a couple of files .I just assumed that
    > >the computer would be able to deal with that itself
    > >2) I update zonealarm
    > >3) Internet doesn't work and when I went to the Program
    > >controll bit and clicked on Properties a wee box came up to tell me that eg
    > >1. windows can't find "C:\/Program Files\Outlook express\msimn.exe
    > >eg 2 Oject 800000 This parameter is incorrect
    > >
    > >Does anybody have any ideas about what I should do ??
    > > cheers
    > >bj
    > >

    > If it's the Licenced Version, send an email to support. (from a
    > friends PC, use his email addy)
    >
    > They give good reponse,as the update also gave me problems
    >
    > To Reply: madballs64 (at) gmx (dot) net

    I gave up and ordered Norton. McAfee also went to hell with
    NAI. I'm using free AVG, I'm waiting for Norton's stuff.
    I should of bought all AVG !
    Read the BB on Zone Alarm, they won't last long if they
    keep this crap up.

    fob, Dec 25, 2003
  5. bj

    Kevin Guest

    I have used Zone Alarm for a couple of years now and have never had a
    problem with it. I started with the free version and I now run Zone Alarm
    Pro on my Windows XP system. I also use AVG Anti-Virus and it works just
    fine, too. I have never had a problem with either of them.

    "fob" <> wrote in message

    Kevin, Dec 26, 2003
  6. bj

    donutbandit Guest

    "Kevin" <> wrote in

    > I gave up and ordered Norton. McAfee also went to hell with
    > NAI. I'm using free AVG, I'm waiting for Norton's stuff.
    > I should of bought all AVG !
    > Read the BB on Zone Alarm, they won't last long if they
    > keep this crap up.

    First, AVG is free. If you bought it, you're even stupider than you sound.

    If you used Zone Alarm, that qualifies you as unlearned.

    If you use Norton, that qualifies you as unlearned AND stupid.

    But you knew all this to begin with, eh?

    What depths this NG has sunk to when someone here recommends Zone
    Alarm..........

    donutbandit, Dec 26, 2003
  7. bj

    Kerodo Guest

    donutbandit wrote:
    > "Kevin" <> wrote in
    >

    >>I gave up and ordered Norton. McAfee also went to hell with
    >>NAI. I'm using free AVG, I'm waiting for Norton's stuff.
    >>I should of bought all AVG !
    >>Read the BB on Zone Alarm, they won't last long if they
    >>keep this crap up.

    > First, AVG is free. If you bought it, you're even stupider than you sound.
    >
    > If you used Zone Alarm, that qualifies you as unlearned.
    >
    > If you use Norton, that qualifies you as unlearned AND stupid.
    >
    > But you knew all this to begin with, eh?
    >
    > What depths this NG has sunk to when someone here recommends Zone
    > Alarm..........

    There's nothing wrong with ZoneAlarm.. I used it here for a long time
    with good results. It works a heck of a lot better than Sygate or
    Norton. It seems to be popular now to bash ZA..

    I use Kerio 2.1.5 now and prefer it over ZA though... But ZA served me
    well for quite a while...

    Kerodo, Dec 26, 2003
  8. bj

    Pete Guest

    Kerodo , over to you ... :

    >There's nothing wrong with ZoneAlarm.. I used it here for a long time
    >with good results. It works a heck of a lot better than Sygate or
    >Norton. It seems to be popular now to bash ZA..
    >
    >I use Kerio 2.1.5 now and prefer it over ZA though... But ZA served me
    >well for quite a while...

    Actually, that's almost exactly the same story with me. I used ZA years ago,
    pre vsmon.exe resource hogging, and was reasonably happy with it. I switched
    to Kerio (some newsgroup recommendation) because of the excessive use of CPU
    power from ZA, and have used that to this day. ZA is good, but a lot of
    folks seem to think it's the only software firewall out there.

    BTW, I know that ZA is supposed to 'quieten down' after being in use for a
    while, in terms of CPU usage, but Kerio worked so much better for me, that I
    decided to lose ZA in favour of it.

    Regards,

    Pete.

    Pete, Dec 26, 2003
  9. "Kerodo" <> wrote in message
    > donutbandit wrote:
    > > "Kevin" <> wrote in
    > >

    > >>I gave up and ordered Norton. McAfee also went to hell with
    > >>NAI. I'm using free AVG, I'm waiting for Norton's stuff.
    > >>I should of bought all AVG !
    > >>Read the BB on Zone Alarm, they won't last long if they
    > >>keep this crap up.

    > > First, AVG is free. If you bought it, you're even stupider than you

    sound.

    > > If you used Zone Alarm, that qualifies you as unlearned.
    > >
    > > If you use Norton, that qualifies you as unlearned AND stupid.
    > >
    > > But you knew all this to begin with, eh?
    > >
    > > What depths this NG has sunk to when someone here recommends Zone
    > > Alarm..........

    > There's nothing wrong with ZoneAlarm.. I used it here for a long time
    > with good results. It works a heck of a lot better than Sygate or
    > Norton. It seems to be popular now to bash ZA..
    >
    > I use Kerio 2.1.5 now and prefer it over ZA though... But ZA served me
    > well for quite a while...

    Kerio has a good rep. Can't make a personal comment, because I haven't used
    it.

    I'm out-of-date regarding ZA, but I can state that it had serious enough
    bugs to cause me to drop it. I bought the Pro version (this may have changed
    now, but the base version didn't officially support an ICS-type solution.
    Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Not a terribly good sign..)

    After experiencing frequent lost connections with this [paid-for!] version,
    I managed to isolate the cause (no, I'm not going to give away the punchline
    just yet!) and contacted ZL support.

    I can't honestly remember what they eventually sent back, about a week
    later. Reinstall Windows, nail a haddock to the monitor, or something
    equally silly. Contacted them again.

    About a month after that (and having already switched to a Linux-based
    solution) a missive turned-up with some other wacky suggestion, and a
    statement that they hadn't managed to reproduce the problem. Gave a few more
    examples, repeated the instructions on how to reproduce the problem, and
    that was the last I heard. I think that might have been some time in 2000.
    Not sure.

    Useless.

    Oh, yes - the punchline: it always broke after exactly 500 warning messages
    have been displayed (i.e. locked the machine down and killed the routing);
    apparently this "made it more secure".

    Idiots.

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Dec 26, 2003
  10. bj

    vb Guest

    I've been using ZA for several years with no problems. I think the problems
    are with the users.....
    V.B.

    vb, Dec 27, 2003
  11. bj

    donutbandit Guest

    "vb" <> wrote in news::

    > I've been using ZA for several years with no problems. I think the
    > problems are with the users.....

    Wait until you try to uninstall it.

    ZA has released buggy versions. It plants itself all over your computer.
    It's a resource hog. It requires you to keep open a connection to ZA
    Central at all times (Lord knows for what, but my basic instinct is to
    distrust.) I've heard it speculated that ZA Free is actually spyware and is
    recording all your surfing habits and sending them to ZA. There's no proof
    of that, but it certainly is a possibility.

    People say the same thing about Norton, yet not a day goes by that I don't
    read a horror story about Norton somewhere on Usenet.

    A lot of times, there is no problem until you try to do something normal
    that causes a conflict.

    I've read enough complaints about ZA, especially with relation to trying to
    uninstall it, that I steer clear of it. Kerio works better, gives you far
    more control, and does not require you to be connected with Big Brother.

    I heard the same smug statements made about Outlook Express until the
    Lovsan worm hit. You couldn't reason with them, telling them how insecure
    it is, but suddenly they are all on Usenet screaming for help when they got
    infected.

    It doesn't help that the so called security expert Steve Gibson touts ZA on
    his site. If Steve says it, it must be right... ;)

    donutbandit, Dec 27, 2003
  12. bj

    Kerodo Guest

    donutbandit wrote:
    > "vb" <> wrote in news::
    >

    >>I've been using ZA for several years with no problems. I think the
    >>problems are with the users.....

    > Wait until you try to uninstall it.
    >
    > ZA has released buggy versions. It plants itself all over your computer.
    > It's a resource hog. It requires you to keep open a connection to ZA
    > Central at all times (Lord knows for what, but my basic instinct is to
    > distrust.) I've heard it speculated that ZA Free is actually spyware and is
    > recording all your surfing habits and sending them to ZA. There's no proof
    > of that, but it certainly is a possibility.
    >
    > People say the same thing about Norton, yet not a day goes by that I don't
    > read a horror story about Norton somewhere on Usenet.
    >
    > A lot of times, there is no problem until you try to do something normal
    > that causes a conflict.
    >
    > I've read enough complaints about ZA, especially with relation to trying to
    > uninstall it, that I steer clear of it. Kerio works better, gives you far
    > more control, and does not require you to be connected with Big Brother.
    >
    > I heard the same smug statements made about Outlook Express until the
    > Lovsan worm hit. You couldn't reason with them, telling them how insecure
    > it is, but suddenly they are all on Usenet screaming for help when they got
    > infected.
    >
    > It doesn't help that the so called security expert Steve Gibson touts ZA on
    > his site. If Steve says it, it must be right... ;)

    I can confirm the uninstall nightmare. The worst part about it is that
    the uninstall program didn't even work or finish what it was supposed to
    do, so I had to go to the ZoneLabs site and get instructions for
    manually removing all traces of ZA. It took some time. You'd think
    they could do a lot better than that...

    Kerio on the other hand has been great so far.

    Kerodo, Dec 27, 2003
  13. bj

    Pete Guest

    vb , over to you ... :

    >I've been using ZA for several years with no problems. I think the problems
    >are with the users.....
    >V.B.

    After that poast, I don't doubt it. :)

    Regards,

    Pete.

    Pete, Dec 27, 2003
  14. bj

    Pete Guest

    donutbandit , over to you ... :

    >It doesn't help that the so called security expert Steve Gibson touts ZA on
    >his site. If Steve says it, it must be right... ;)

    I was just about to say 'what about mr-you-know-who', but you beat me to it.

    I see Mr.G as an extremely clever marketer of his ideas. The 'following' he
    inspires is truly remarkable. And a bit worrying.

    Oops ... blasphemous child !

    Regards,

    Pete.

    Pete, Dec 27, 2003