    TrueVector service to be at fault. Arrghhh! It was working fine and
    now it's screwed. Anyone know a better firewall?

    p.s Before anyone posts anything...I don't want a "Linux box"

    Dogg, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Dogg

    T.N.O. Guest

    Dogg wrote:
    > So I updated ZA to version 4.5.530.000 and now my comp is crashing
    > everytime I try to play an online game. The event viewer shows the
    > TrueVector service to be at fault. Arrghhh! It was working fine and
    > now it's screwed. Anyone know a better firewall?
    > p.s Before anyone posts anything...I don't want a "Linux box"

    you could always get a Lin... never mind :)

    You could always un-install the update?
    you? :)

    Kerio?

    T.N.O., Dec 1, 2003

  3. Dogg

    The Flash Guest

    > So I updated ZA to version 4.5.530.000 and now my comp is crashing
    > everytime I try to play an online game. The event viewer shows the
    > TrueVector service to be at fault. Arrghhh! It was working fine and
    > now it's screwed. Anyone know a better firewall?
    >
    > p.s Before anyone posts anything...I don't want a "Linux box"

    Buy a dog, every time the computer crashs - kick the dog, one of three
    things will happen.

    1) The dog will run away, you will have to find it and since your not using
    the computer it won't crash and a new version will be released that doesn't
    crash.
    2) The dog will bite you, during you wait at A&E a new version or two of the
    software will come out and will have different bugs.
    3) The SPCA will hunt you down, the judge will throw you in jail and the
    last thing on you mind will be computer problems!

    The Flash, Dec 1, 2003
  4. Dogg

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Dogg <> wrote in

    > Okay...
    >
    > So I updated ZA to version 4.5.530.000 and now my comp is crashing
    > everytime I try to play an online game. The event viewer shows the
    > TrueVector service to be at fault. Arrghhh! It was working fine and
    > now it's screwed. Anyone know a better firewall?
    >
    > p.s Before anyone posts anything...I don't want a "Linux box"

    Try Kerio, I had a few problems with Zone alarm and switched

    http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_download.html

    Chris Mayhew, Dec 1, 2003
  5. Dogg

    SomebodyElse Guest

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 15:21:08 +1300, Dogg wrote:

    > Okay...
    >
    > So I updated ZA to version 4.5.530.000 and now my comp is crashing
    > everytime I try to play an online game. The event viewer shows the
    > TrueVector service to be at fault. Arrghhh! It was working fine and
    > now it's screwed. Anyone know a better firewall?
    >
    > p.s Before anyone posts anything...I don't want a "Linux box"

    Sygate Personal Firewall from www.sygate.com

    .....Although I'm beginning to have a few doubts about it....

    - Scott

    SomebodyElse, Dec 1, 2003
  6. Dogg

    samg Guest

    SomebodyElse <> wrote in news:pan.2003.12.01.09.05.54.546000
    @for.me:

    > On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 15:21:08 +1300, Dogg wrote:
    >
    >> Okay...
    >>
    >> So I updated ZA to version 4.5.530.000 and now my comp is crashing
    >> everytime I try to play an online game. The event viewer shows the
    >> TrueVector service to be at fault. Arrghhh! It was working fine and
    >> now it's screwed. Anyone know a better firewall?
    >>
    >> p.s Before anyone posts anything...I don't want a "Linux box"

    > Sygate Personal Firewall from www.sygate.com
    >
    > ....Although I'm beginning to have a few doubts about it....
    >
    > - Scott

    yeah I tried a lot and finally settled on sygate but its a bit more hands
    on than the likes of zonealarm. By default it assigns server rights to
    any applications you add which will leave some rather large sercurity
    holes.

    btw what problems have you had Scott?

    samg, Dec 1, 2003
  7. Dogg

    SomebodyElse Guest

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 23:04:59 +1300, samg wrote:

    > SomebodyElse <> wrote in news:pan.2003.12.01.09.05.54.546000
    > @for.me:
    >>
    >> Sygate Personal Firewall from www.sygate.com
    >>
    >> ....Although I'm beginning to have a few doubts about it....
    >>
    >> - Scott
    >>

    > yeah I tried a lot and finally settled on sygate but its a bit more hands
    > on than the likes of zonealarm. By default it assigns server rights to
    > any applications you add which will leave some rather large sercurity
    > holes.
    >
    > btw what problems have you had Scott?

    I've noticed lately messages such as:
    202.x.x.x has scanned ports blah, blah, blah and blah.

    I obviously don't have my logs holding onto this information for long
    enough cos it's not there now when I want to look.

    It's always from the same ip address, and it's always the same 4 ports
    (although often scanned in different orders)

    The thing I find disturbing is that the message displayed is "202.x.x.x
    has scanned ports blah, blah, .......". It doesn't say that it as TRIED to
    scan them, or attempted to or anything, but it HAS scanned them. What sort
    of information has it been getting?? That's what I want to know. I don't
    think I have anyting to hide, but I don't see that I should have to try to
    hide anything, or even worry that I need to. I just want private
    information to be just that. Private.

    What's the point of having a program such as SPF if it leaks stuff
    voluntarily. Is this program simply no good, or is it ok.

    I use the free version because it's there, but I'd be happy to pay for a
    better product. But I'm not the type of person who will pay for the full
    product from a supplier that purports to supply a decent service in
    their free version, but in fact reserves it for their premium product.

    It's not the charging for a service I object to (in fact I fully support
    it) but if a company is promoting (actively or not) a free service, then
    it should be disclosed what the limitations of the free service is.

    I feel I'm drivelling now, so I'll stop. I'll continue if anybody wants me
    to.

    - Scott

    SomebodyElse, Dec 2, 2003
  8. Dogg

    Dave Taylor Guest

    SomebodyElse <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 23:04:59 +1300, samg wrote:
    >
    >> SomebodyElse <> wrote in

    > It's not the charging for a service I object to (in fact I fully
    > support it) but if a company is promoting (actively or not) a free
    > service, then it should be disclosed what the limitations of the free
    > service is.
    >
    > I feel I'm drivelling now, so I'll stop. I'll continue if anybody
    > wants me to.
    >
    > - Scott

    This URL has a comparison chart so you know what you are missing.
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/spf/comparison_spf.htm

    If you do the sygate security scan and then also try something like
    www.grc.com security scan and your ports are stealthed, you are invisible
    at that time, on those ports. Please do a little reading because you may
    want to subscribe to an anomyzing service (proxy) if you are that
    paranoid about the internet.
    I mean we can surmise that you likely use Telstra Clear as your ISP from
    your posting information...

    And that you are probably using Pan to post with
    so just do a little googling, reading and be proud that you are actually
    running some kind of firewall, and care about security, unlike hordes of
    other people on the net.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Dec 3, 2003