Zone Alarm BS

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Edw. Peach, Oct 27, 2005.

  1. Edw. Peach

    Edw. Peach Guest

    WTF! I use ZoneAlarm, the free version, and I just got a message box
    telling me about the new 'free' spyware scanner, would I like to try
    it, and I don't have the option to say NO.

    My options are UPDATE NOW or get a f**king reminder in so many days.

    I can't close the damn thing with CTRL+ALT+DELETE.

    I've been satisfied with ZoneAlarm for a number of years, but if
    they're starting to force feed me this bullshit, I think I'll find new
    options.
     
    Edw. Peach, Oct 27, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Edw. Peach

    Edw. Peach Guest

    I'm really fuming about this lack of real choice in this matter and
    want to get ZoneAlarm off my computer. However, I tried doing that
    once before and I had all kinds of problems with some vector programs.
    That was a long while ago. Have 'they' developed a more sane way of
    getting it off my system without getting a degree first in computer
    science?

    Thanks.
     
    Edw. Peach, Oct 27, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Edw. Peach

    Notan Guest

    "Edw. Peach" wrote:
    >
    > I'm really fuming about this lack of real choice in this matter and
    > want to get ZoneAlarm off my computer. However, I tried doing that
    > once before and I had all kinds of problems with some vector programs.
    > That was a long while ago. Have 'they' developed a more sane way of
    > getting it off my system without getting a degree first in computer
    > science?


    Unlike Norton, and number of other brands, it's easy to remove all of
    ZA's components.

    Go for it!

    Notan
     
    Notan, Oct 27, 2005
    #3
  4. Edw. Peach

    Ryan Elkins Guest

    "Edw. Peach" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm really fuming about this lack of real choice in this matter and
    > want to get ZoneAlarm off my computer. However, I tried doing that
    > once before and I had all kinds of problems with some vector programs.
    > That was a long while ago. Have 'they' developed a more sane way of
    > getting it off my system without getting a degree first in computer
    > science?
    >
    > Thanks.


    I've also had massive problems w/ ZA, mine relating to the last update
    (6.03, i believe). Ever since I downloaded and ran that update, ZA has not
    worked at al on my PC. Even after uninstalling, then re-installing an
    earlier version, nothing has worked. And I've been completely underwhelmed
    at the responses I've received from their Support people. I've gotten
    responses ranging from automated "So sorry!" emails to real nasty messages
    from their support techs, basically saying its my fault, it works fine for
    everyone else. But I've been to the ZA message boards and read and read and
    read message after message about people having the >exact< same problem as I
    do, both with the program itself and the lack of service from ZA.
    Until they un-fubar themselves, I have to stick w/ the XP firewall and
    McAffee anti-virus.

    Most annoyed,

    drgrbek
     
    Ryan Elkins, Oct 27, 2005
    #4
  5. Edw. Peach

    Edw. Peach Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:15:36 -0600, Notan <> wrote:

    >Unlike Norton, and number of other brands, it's easy to remove all of
    >ZA's components.
    >
    >Go for it!
    >
    >Notan



    No it's not, unless it has been changed drastically. I tried last
    year and had remnant files all over my computer.

    I don't understand what ZoneAlarm is up to, unless they are trying to
    "encourage" users to use only the paid versions. I have been using ZA
    for years without problems (unless I tried to uninstall it.) They're
    two options are to update immediately (some new poopy 'let us check
    you for spyware') or stall it for up to two months.

    What part of 'no' don't they understand?
     
    Edw. Peach, Oct 27, 2005
    #5
  6. Edw. Peach

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:00:45 -0400, Edw. Peach <>
    wrote:

    >WTF! I use ZoneAlarm, the free version, and I just got a message box
    >telling me about the new 'free' spyware scanner, would I like to try
    >it, and I don't have the option to say NO.


    Funny you should mention that, mine did the same thing and shock
    horror it told me my machine had ISTbar, a 'wonderful' product from

    http://www.isearchtech.com/

    I updated Adaware and exterminated it, its the first bit of spyware
    to make it on this machine, and not with permission.

    Not sure I really want this functionality from ZA though, even it on
    this occasion it was 100% right


    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
     
    Jim Watt, Oct 27, 2005
    #6
  7. Edw. Peach

    Notan Guest

    "Edw. Peach" wrote:
    >
    > On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:15:36 -0600, Notan <> wrote:
    >
    > >Unlike Norton, and number of other brands, it's easy to remove all of
    > >ZA's components.
    > >
    > >Go for it!
    > >
    > >Notan

    >
    > No it's not, unless it has been changed drastically. I tried last
    > year and had remnant files all over my computer.
    >
    > I don't understand what ZoneAlarm is up to, unless they are trying to
    > "encourage" users to use only the paid versions. I have been using ZA
    > for years without problems (unless I tried to uninstall it.) They're
    > two options are to update immediately (some new poopy 'let us check
    > you for spyware') or stall it for up to two months.
    >
    > What part of 'no' don't they understand?


    It's a business.

    Of course they're trying to get you to use the paid version!

    Notan
     
    Notan, Oct 27, 2005
    #7
  8. Edw. Peach

    Zilbandy Guest

    "Ryan Elkins" <> wrote:

    >I've also had massive problems w/ ZA, mine relating to the last update
    >(6.03, i believe).


    I'm using 6.0.667 free version here with no problems.
     
    Zilbandy, Oct 28, 2005
    #8
  9. Edw. Peach

    Edw. Peach Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:16:59 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    wrote:

    >Funny you should mention that, mine did the same thing and shock
    >horror it told me my machine had ISTbar, a 'wonderful' product from
    >
    >http://www.isearchtech.com/


    So..are you saying this isn't a legit link to a ZoneAlarm product?
    The options I was given were either let this site do a scan on my
    computer now, or delay it and the request comes back in a specified
    time. That didn't seem like ZoneAlarm. I've used their firewall for
    years and have had very little problems with it. Besides their steady
    but manageable flow of email ads, they don't seem like a pushy
    company. Thus, my reaction when I did not have a real option.

    Where abouts on my computer will I find that spyware? I ran Adaware
    and it did remove one piece of spyware. It was a piece from
    centraport.net.
     
    Edw. Peach, Oct 28, 2005
    #9
  10. Edw. Peach

    Management Guest

    Edw. Peach wrote:
    > I'm really fuming about this lack of real choice in this matter and
    > want to get ZoneAlarm off my computer. However, I tried doing that
    > once before and I had all kinds of problems with some vector programs.
    > That was a long while ago. Have 'they' developed a more sane way of
    > getting it off my system without getting a degree first in computer
    > science?
    >
    > Thanks.


    See
    http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646/CompleteUninstallNonNT.html

    Charlie.

    --
    Broadcasting to the environs
    www.radiowymsey.org
     
    Management, Oct 28, 2005
    #10
  11. Edw. Peach

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:42:25 -0400, Edw. Peach <>
    wrote:

    >So..are you saying this isn't a legit link to a ZoneAlarm product?


    No, I am saying that for whatever reason ZA decided to tell me
    my system had spyware, and it was damn right.

    On the whole I would rather it minded its own business, but on this
    occasion its intrusion was valuable.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
     
    Jim Watt, Oct 28, 2005
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. John
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,230
  2. D@annyBoy

    Zone Alarm

    D@annyBoy, Oct 22, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    854
    Adam Membrey
    Oct 22, 2004
  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?=

    Zone Alarm Firewall Attacks

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?=, Oct 12, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    8,122
    N. Miller
    Oct 13, 2005
  4. Patch

    Audible alarm in Zone Alarm?

    Patch, Aug 18, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,169
    Patch
    Aug 18, 2003
  5. Jones

    Zone Alarm or Zone Alarm Pro?

    Jones, Feb 19, 2004, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    622
    Phil Marshall
    Feb 20, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page