    --
    25 weeks to go , but who is counting
    Gary and Karla , that`s who !

    Gary Lawrence, Dec 6, 2003

  2. Gary Lawrence

    Chet Guest

    If the router has an adequate firewall then you don't need a separate one in
    each computer. Some routers do and some don't. Personally, I prefer to
    have the control at the individual computer.

    Chet, Dec 6, 2003

  3. Gary Lawrence

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Gary Lawrence" <> wrote in

    > I just installed a router for my desktop(wire) and my wife's laptop
    > (wireless).Do I still need to run zone alarm pro?

    If you're not concerned about outbound connections, then you don't need a
    host based FW on the machine behind a NAT router, because the NAT router
    will stop unsolicted inbound traffic.

    If you start opening ports on the NAT router doing port forwarding of port
    (s) to a machine, then you will need a hoat based FW on the machine,
    becasue the NAT router will not protect on the inbound on the port
    forwarded port(s).

    The cheap NAT router for home use doesn't have a FW. At best, it may have
    SPI. The NAT router has FW like features but is not a FW.

    http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_does_firewall_do.html

    A true FW appliance such as WatchGuard Firebox SOHO 6 line start at $375

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 6, 2003