    I had to uncheck the "Protect the Zone Alarm Client" box in order for my
    computers to share files.
    Is this OK? My Broadband Router has a firewall, Do I need Zone Alarm too?

    Gadget, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Gadget

    MrToad Guest

    "Gadget" <> Ran in the back door and
    shouted news::

    > I had to uncheck the "Protect the Zone Alarm Client" box in order for
    > my computers to share files.
    > Is this OK? My Broadband Router has a firewall, Do I need Zone Alarm
    > too?

    You need the software firewall to keep rouge programs from "calling home",
    ie; outbound.
    Your router will keep the majority of the bad stuff out, ie; inbound.

    --
    MrToad

    MrToad, Dec 27, 2003

  3. Gadget wrote:

    > I had to uncheck the "Protect the Zone Alarm Client" box in order for my
    > computers to share files.
    > Is this OK? My Broadband Router has a firewall, Do I need Zone Alarm too?

    Uhh... There's two schools of thought on this - mine is, *never* turn
    off ZA unless the comp is disconnected from the network.

    The "Protect the client" setting is to keep some spyware / virus from
    terminating ZA, and therefore leaving you wide-open... hexadecimally
    speaking, that is.

    If you want to share, set your subnet mask in your trusted group.

    Just, for the Sweet Mother of Packet Smackers, turn that setting back on!

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Dec 27, 2003
  4. Gadget

    Phil Guest

    "BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ" <> wrote in message
    > Gadget wrote:
    >
    > > I had to uncheck the "Protect the Zone Alarm Client" box in order for

    my
    > > computers to share files.
    > > Is this OK? My Broadband Router has a firewall, Do I need Zone Alarm

    too?

    > Uhh... There's two schools of thought on this - mine is, *never* turn
    > off ZA unless the comp is disconnected from the network.
    >
    > The "Protect the client" setting is to keep some spyware / virus from
    > terminating ZA, and therefore leaving you wide-open... hexadecimally
    > speaking, that is.
    >
    > If you want to share, set your subnet mask in your trusted group.
    >
    > Just, for the Sweet Mother of Packet Smackers, turn that setting back on!

    > BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    > (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    I have to turn off ZA to play Links 2001 over a tcp/ip connection otherwise
    the game freezes. Any ideas how to resolve this?
    TIA

    Phil, Dec 27, 2003
  5. Gadget

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Phil said:

    > "BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ" <> wrote in message
    >> Gadget wrote:
    >>
    >>> I had to uncheck the "Protect the Zone Alarm Client" box in order for my
    >>> computers to share files.
    >>> Is this OK? My Broadband Router has a firewall, Do I need Zone Alarm too?

    >> Uhh... There's two schools of thought on this - mine is, *never* turn
    >> off ZA unless the comp is disconnected from the network.
    >>
    >> The "Protect the client" setting is to keep some spyware / virus from
    >> terminating ZA, and therefore leaving you wide-open... hexadecimally
    >> speaking, that is.
    >>
    >> If you want to share, set your subnet mask in your trusted group.
    >>
    >> Just, for the Sweet Mother of Packet Smackers, turn that setting back on!
    >>
    >> --
    >> --
    >>
    >> BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    >> (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    >>

    > I have to turn off ZA to play Links 2001 over a tcp/ip connection otherwise
    > the game freezes. Any ideas how to resolve this?
    > TIA

    The whole point of having a firewall is to protect your system.
    If you are going to turn it off, you might just as well uninstall it for all the
    good it is going to do.
    If you have problems, find a solution which doesn't include turning your
    firewall off to get round the problem.
    Do you run a full virus scan as soon as your turn your firewall back on again?

    Brian H¹©, Dec 27, 2003
  6. Gadget

    Phil Guest

    > Phil said:
    >
    > > "BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ" <> wrote in

    message

    my

    too?

    > >> Uhh... There's two schools of thought on this - mine is, *never* turn
    > >> off ZA unless the comp is disconnected from the network.
    > >>
    > >> The "Protect the client" setting is to keep some spyware / virus from
    > >> terminating ZA, and therefore leaving you wide-open... hexadecimally
    > >> speaking, that is.
    > >>
    > >> If you want to share, set your subnet mask in your trusted group.
    > >>
    > >> Just, for the Sweet Mother of Packet Smackers, turn that setting back

    on!

    > >> --
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    > >> (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    > >>

    > > I have to turn off ZA to play Links 2001 over a tcp/ip connection

    otherwise
    > > the game freezes. Any ideas how to resolve this?
    > > TIA

    > The whole point of having a firewall is to protect your system.
    > If you are going to turn it off, you might just as well uninstall it for

    all the
    > good it is going to do.
    > If you have problems, find a solution which doesn't include turning your
    > firewall off to get round the problem.

    I know the reasons for a firewall and have it on. I was asking for advice
    on how to counter my problem.

    > Do you run a full virus scan as soon as your turn your firewall back on

    again?

    Yes.

    Phil, Dec 28, 2003