Zone Alarm and ADSL

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ClueLess, Aug 16, 2007.

  1. ClueLess

    ClueLess Guest

    Hi everybody

    I just got an ADSL connection and I have been trying Zone Alarm. If
    the ADSL router is switched on after ZA is loaded, ZA does not find it
    and I cannot access the Internet.

    It detects the connection only if it is started after I switch on the
    router and then everything is ok.

    Is this the normal way?

    ZA loads on startup and so should I switch on the router before I
    start the computer?

    Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

    ClueLess

    ClueLess, Aug 16, 2007

  2. ClueLess

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "ClueLess" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everybody
    >
    > I just got an ADSL connection and I have been trying Zone Alarm. If
    > the ADSL router is switched on after ZA is loaded, ZA does not find it
    > and I cannot access the Internet.
    >
    > It detects the connection only if it is started after I switch on the
    > router and then everything is ok.
    >
    > Is this the normal way?
    >
    > ZA loads on startup and so should I switch on the router before I
    > start the computer?

    Yes. In fact, I never bother turning my modem off.
    WhzzKdd, Aug 16, 2007

  3. WhzzKdd wrote:
    > "ClueLess" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi everybody
    >>
    >> I just got an ADSL connection and I have been trying Zone Alarm. If
    >> the ADSL router is switched on after ZA is loaded, ZA does not find it
    >> and I cannot access the Internet.
    >>
    >> It detects the connection only if it is started after I switch on the
    >> router and then everything is ok.
    >>
    >> Is this the normal way?
    >>
    >> ZA loads on startup and so should I switch on the router before I
    >> start the computer?
    >>

    > Yes. In fact, I never bother turning my modem off.

    I seldom restart my computer, much less often will I restart my
    router/modem. But I still use ZA and I've never had a problem with them
    working together.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 16, 2007
  4. ClueLess

    PeeCee Guest

    "ClueLess" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everybody
    >
    > I just got an ADSL connection and I have been trying Zone Alarm. If
    > the ADSL router is switched on after ZA is loaded, ZA does not find it
    > and I cannot access the Internet.
    >
    > It detects the connection only if it is started after I switch on the
    > router and then everything is ok.
    >
    > Is this the normal way?
    >
    > ZA loads on startup and so should I switch on the router before I
    > start the computer?
    >
    > Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.
    >

    > ClueLess

    Clueless

    1 Starting peripherals before the main PC is the norm for all PC's.
    (Printers, Scanners, ....)

    2 Note the IP address that your Router gives your PC (Control Panel, Network
    Connections, right click your LAN connection and right click 'Status', click
    Support tab), then go to ZA and allow the whole range in that IP space.
    eg if your IP is 192.168.1.2 and the gateway is 192.168.1.1 then tell ZA to
    allow the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255. That way even if your Router
    is started after ZA, ZA will allow it through.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Aug 16, 2007
  5. ClueLess

    ClueLess Guest

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:18:56 +1200, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    >1 Starting peripherals before the main PC is the norm for all PC's.
    >(Printers, Scanners, ....)
    >
    >2 Note the IP address that your Router gives your PC (Control Panel, Network
    >Connections, right click your LAN connection and right click 'Status', click
    >Support tab), then go to ZA and allow the whole range in that IP space.
    >eg if your IP is 192.168.1.2 and the gateway is 192.168.1.1 then tell ZA to
    >allow the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255. That way even if your Router
    >is started after ZA, ZA will allow it through.

    Hi PC

    Many thanks for your very useful direction. I think the instructions
    pertain to an XP installation, XP was too daunting for me so I remain
    with ME. Still your response induced me to set up an IP range in Zone
    alarm itself and it works great. ZA now detects automatically and
    permits net access even if the router is switched on after starting
    the computer with ZA loading on start up.

    Thanks again PC

    ClueLess

    ClueLess, Aug 17, 2007