    Any ideas? If there is a better newsgroup, I'd appreciate knowing where
    to go.

    Thanks

    Gualtier Malde (Chuck), Jun 11, 2005

  2. Hi,

    did you run AdAware in safe mode with an admin account?
    have you tried to run HijackThis? Maybe there are some entries that should
    be fixed. You should run Spybot and even bitdefender, also in safe mode.
    If you still have problems, I'd rather suggest to uninstall Zonealarm and
    get a router with NAT. Otherwise there's a big chance that your system is
    compromised and you probably need to format your drives and reinstall a
    clean system.

    Hope it helps.

    Cheers..

    "Gualtier Malde (Chuck)" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    : Some time ago I found my Zone Alarm set to allow server status to all
    : programs and I was unable to change it to anything else. I believe that
    : this newsgroup suggested the possibility of malware and told me to get
    : Ad-Aware, which I did, and on the first scan some malware was found and
    : when it was eliminated I was OK again.
    :
    : Now it's happened again, in spite of Ad-Aware pro screening, and a scan
    : did not find any malware.
    :

    Alexander Menzel, Jun 12, 2005

  3. Gualtier Malde (Chuck)

    DANG Guest

    "Gualtier Malde (Chuck)" <> schreef in bericht
    > Some time ago I found my Zone Alarm set to allow server status to all
    > programs and I was unable to change it to anything else. I believe that
    > this newsgroup suggested the possibility of malware and told me to get
    > Ad-Aware, which I did, and on the first scan some malware was found and
    > when it was eliminated I was OK again.
    >
    > Now it's happened again, in spite of Ad-Aware pro screening, and a scan
    > did not find any malware.
    >
    > Any ideas? If there is a better newsgroup, I'd appreciate knowing where
    > to go.

    Just a suggestion but you could disconnect your cable and go offline while
    you uninstall ZA and then reinstall it... this time set it to ask permission
    for everything. Never set it to always allow server status for all apps IMO!
    Then go back online and get hold of Spybot Search and Destroy (a free
    utility that I have found much more useful than the previously very
    dependable Adaware).
    That should remedy your current predicament. As for NG's, this one and
    alt.comp.anti-virus are probably the best two groups for information
    regarding online difficulties.
    HTH
    DANG

    DANG, Jun 12, 2005
  4. Alexander Menzel wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > did you run AdAware in safe mode with an admin account?
    > have you tried to run HijackThis? Maybe there are some entries that should
    > be fixed. You should run Spybot and even bitdefender, also in safe mode.
    > If you still have problems, I'd rather suggest to uninstall Zonealarm and
    > get a router with NAT. Otherwise there's a big chance that your system is
    > compromised and you probably need to format your drives and reinstall a
    > clean system.
    >
    > Hope it helps.
    >
    > Cheers..

    I generally run Ad-Aware in Windows 2000, regular mode, but with an
    admin account. I have the companion Ad-Watch and though AW has picked
    up a couple of tracking cookies, repeated AA scans reveal no serious junk.

    I got Hijack This some time ago and ran it a few times and had no idea
    what do do with the data it produced, I'm that untutored in the art.
    Then, one day, I opened the containing folder and AVG Pro fingered
    Hijack This as containing a virus. I forget the name.

    I've uninstalled and reinstalled ZA and it's working, but nothing else
    seems to be amiss. I'll keep a close watch before wiping everything and
    starting over, because that would be terribly inconvenient. Besides,
    I'd restore from a clone anyway - wouldn't I just restore the problem?
    No way am I going to start from tabula rasa.

    Thanks.

    Gualtier Malde (Chuck), Jun 13, 2005
  5. Gualtier Malde (Chuck)

    DavidPostill Guest

    DavidPostill, Jun 13, 2005
  6. DavidPostill wrote:
    > In article <>, on Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:07:58 -0700, Gualtier Malde
    > (Chuck) wrote:
    >
    > []
    >
    > | I got Hijack This some time ago and ran it a few times and had no idea
    > | what do do with the data it produced, I'm that untutored in the art.
    >
    > HijackThis Log Tutorial
    >
    > http://aumha.org/a/hjttutor.php
    >
    > HijackThis Logfile Analysis
    >
    > http://www.help2go.com/modules.php?name=HJTDetective
    > http://www.hijackthis.de/en
    > http://hjt.iamnotageek.com

    Excellent! Thank you. I had been at the point of asking about help
    like this when AVG seemed to find a virus associated with Hijack This
    that I'd had on the computer for some time. I'll go get it again now
    that I actually will be able to use it.

    Gualtier Malde (Chuck), Jun 13, 2005
  7. DANG wrote:

    > "Gualtier Malde (Chuck)" <> schreef in bericht
    >
    >>Some time ago I found my Zone Alarm set to allow server status to all
    >>programs and I was unable to change it to anything else. I believe that
    >>this newsgroup suggested the possibility of malware and told me to get
    >>Ad-Aware, which I did, and on the first scan some malware was found and
    >>when it was eliminated I was OK again.
    >>
    >>Now it's happened again, in spite of Ad-Aware pro screening, and a scan
    >>did not find any malware.
    >>
    >>Any ideas? If there is a better newsgroup, I'd appreciate knowing where
    >>to go.

    > Just a suggestion but you could disconnect your cable and go offline while
    > you uninstall ZA and then reinstall it... this time set it to ask permission
    > for everything. Never set it to always allow server status for all apps IMO!
    > Then go back online and get hold of Spybot Search and Destroy (a free
    > utility that I have found much more useful than the previously very
    > dependable Adaware).
    > That should remedy your current predicament. As for NG's, this one and
    > alt.comp.anti-virus are probably the best two groups for information
    > regarding online difficulties.
    > HTH
    > DANG

    Thank you. I thought this might be the case but was not confident. Now
    I am.
    Chuck

    Gualtier Malde (Chuck), Jun 13, 2005