    work with Norton? Is it safe to use without any?

    Any advice would be appreciated

    Cheers

    Harry, Jun 9, 2004

  2. Harry

    olfart Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    news:ca82na$8pe$...
    > Hi,
    > Have just removed zone alarm 5.0 from my system as it was mucking up

    Norton
    > anti virus and various other applications on my pc (windows xp) I
    > uninstalled using the uninstall option and also ran "registry mechanic" to
    > clear a couple of other traces. I've heard of all sorts of problems people
    > have had in then trying to reinstall the earlier version and want to know
    > what my options are, like, have I removed enough of 5.0? is it safe to
    > install 4.5 with what I've done? is there another firewall product that

    will
    > work with Norton? Is it safe to use without any?
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated
    >
    > Cheers

    I went back to ZA 4.5 from 5.0 with no problem
    olfart, Jun 10, 2004

  3. Harry

    one_red_eye Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Have just removed zone alarm 5.0 from my system as it was mucking up

    Norton
    > anti virus and various other applications on my pc (windows xp) I
    > uninstalled using the uninstall option and also ran "registry mechanic" to
    > clear a couple of other traces. I've heard of all sorts of problems people
    > have had in then trying to reinstall the earlier version and want to know
    > what my options are, like, have I removed enough of 5.0? is it safe to
    > install 4.5 with what I've done? is there another firewall product that

    will
    > work with Norton? Is it safe to use without any?
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated
    >
    > Cheers

    You might have had an earlier release of ZA 5, there were LOTS of issues
    with the beta release. Mine works fine with McAfee and ZoneAlarm
    5.0.590.015.

    --
    Despite the high cost of living,
    it remains popular.
    one_red_eye, Jun 10, 2004
  4. Harry

    philo Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Have just removed zone alarm 5.0 from my system as it was mucking up

    Norton
    > anti virus and various other applications on my pc (windows xp) I
    > uninstalled using the uninstall option and also ran "registry mechanic" to
    > clear a couple of other traces. I've heard of all sorts of problems people
    > have had in then trying to reinstall the earlier version and want to know
    > what my options are, like, have I removed enough of 5.0? is it safe to
    > install 4.5 with what I've done? is there another firewall product that

    will
    > work with Norton? Is it safe to use without any?
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated

    zone alarm 5 really messed up my system...
    and i am now happily back to version 4.5 which works fine.

    after i uninstalled ZA 5 and reinstalled 4.5 i still had problems
    due to at least part of version 5 still having a folder under " program
    files"

    what you should do is uninstall version 5 then reboot

    before you reinstall version 4.5 be sure to check under "Program Files"
    and delete any possibly entries there and you should be OK.

    in the 18 months or more that i've been using XP attemting to install Zone
    Alarm 5 was the first time I ever had a problem with XP. I eventually had to
    use system
    restore
    philo, Jun 10, 2004
  5. Harry

    Harry Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > Have just removed zone alarm 5.0 from my system as it was mucking up

    > Norton
    > > anti virus and various other applications on my pc (windows xp) I
    > > uninstalled using the uninstall option and also ran "registry mechanic"

    > > clear a couple of other traces. I've heard of all sorts of problems

    people
    > > have had in then trying to reinstall the earlier version and want to

    know
    > > what my options are, like, have I removed enough of 5.0? is it safe to
    > > install 4.5 with what I've done? is there another firewall product that

    > will
    > > work with Norton? Is it safe to use without any?
    > >
    > > Any advice would be appreciated

    > zone alarm 5 really messed up my system...
    > and i am now happily back to version 4.5 which works fine.
    >
    > after i uninstalled ZA 5 and reinstalled 4.5 i still had problems
    > due to at least part of version 5 still having a folder under " program
    > files"
    >

    > what you should do is uninstall version 5 then reboot
    >
    > before you reinstall version 4.5 be sure to check under "Program Files"
    > and delete any possibly entries there and you should be OK.
    >
    > in the 18 months or more that i've been using XP attemting to install Zone
    > Alarm 5 was the first time I ever had a problem with XP. I eventually had

    > use system
    > restore

    Just got 4.5 loaded again and everything is working brilliantly, I didn't
    realise just how much was being cocked up by version 5 !!

    Harry
    Harry, Jun 11, 2004
  6. Harry

    philo Guest

    > Just got 4.5 loaded again and everything is working brilliantly, I didn't
    > realise just how much was being cocked up by version 5 !!

    yes...it was really bad news
    it even caused a spontaneous reboot when i did a virus scan.
    i'm sticking with version 4.5
    too bad they really messed up a good piece of software!
    philo, Jun 11, 2004
  7. Harry

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:24:42 +0000 (UTC), "Harry"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Have just removed zone alarm 5.0 from my system as it was mucking up Norton
    >anti virus and various other applications on my pc (windows xp) I
    >uninstalled using the uninstall option and also ran "registry mechanic" to
    >clear a couple of other traces. I've heard of all sorts of problems people
    >have had in then trying to reinstall the earlier version and want to know
    >what my options are, like, have I removed enough of 5.0? is it safe to
    >install 4.5 with what I've done? is there another firewall product that will
    >work with Norton? Is it safe to use without any?
    >
    >Any advice would be appreciated
    >
    >Cheers

    Other known issues:
    * Causes XP CHKDSK to not run (even when requested)
    * Causes yEnc encoded posts to not be retrieved

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Aug 5, 2004