    301 watchlist†because they use, or encourage the use of, open-source
    software.

    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=7488>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 25, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Feb 25, 2:50 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > A lobby group called the “International Intellectual Property Alliance”
    > (which happens to include the MPAA and RIAA as members) is asking the US
    > Government to put countries like Indonesia, Brazil and India on the “Special
    > 301 watchlist” because they use, or encourage the use of, open-source
    > software.
    >
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=7488>

    This is very similar to "Impossible's" stance ie open source = piracy
    and therefore open source advocates must be software pirates.

    It has occurred to me that a major USA export is intellectual
    property, and there is an enormous incentive for USA to keep such
    exports up otherwise there will start to be a trade imbalance against
    the USA.

    Ways of doing this are:
    1. Force on the world such stringent patent laws that USA can earn
    significant overseas funds through weak patents, patent trolling,
    rights amplification (eg Disney and 'Peter Pan' rights), etc.
    2. Discourage the use of open source in other nations so Microsoft,
    Adobe, Oracle, etc royalty streams can be kept at a high level. The
    open source and piracy link is a perfect lobbying tool in that regard.
    peterwn, Feb 26, 2010