Zombie ram?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob S, Jan 21, 2009.

  1. Rob S

    Rob S Guest

    I have a 1gig stick of Adata 400 DDR ram which I tried installing in a
    Asrock 4CoreDX90-VSTA (Intel) m/b but refused to boot. Memtest86
    confirmed it as dead. Yesterday I was doing my quarterly cleanup of my
    niece's pc (she insists on using Limewire and for some reason her
    anti-virus and anti-spyware defs are never up to date, no matter how I
    setup auto downloads or give her written instructions). Anyway, her pc
    is based on a MSI K7N2 (AMD) m/b.

    She only has 256Mb DDR266 ram, so I had a search among my bits & pieces
    and came across the Adata stick. Having forgotten that it was dead, I
    plugged it in and it booted and ran perfectly. Remembering then that I
    previously thought it was dead, I tried running it in the Asrock board,
    but again it wouldn't run. I tried both slots as well as every
    combination of ram, 1 stick, 2 sticks, alternate slots etc., but it
    still wouldn't boot and Memtest86 still confirmed it as dead. The ram
    I'm currently running in the Asrock is the same brand, size and speed as
    the dead stick.

    At this stage my niece arrived to pick up her pc, so I gave it back with
    just the original ram plus another 256Mb stick I had lying around. I
    hadn't tried running Memtest86 with the dead? stick in her pc.

    Has anyone else run across anything like this? A stick that tests out
    dead in one m/b but runs perfectly in another? The only other thing I
    haven't tried (only now thought of it) is downsizing the ram speed in
    the bios.

    --
    Rob
    discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."' - Isaac Asimov

    Rob S, Jan 21, 2009

  2. In message <gl8bga$9mg$>, Rob S wrote:

    > ... for some reason her anti-virus and anti-spyware defs are never up to
    > date, no matter how I setup auto downloads ...

    Seems to be a common Dimdows complaint.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 22, 2009

  3. Rob S

    Peter Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    > Has anyone else run across anything like this? A stick that tests out
    > dead in one m/b but runs perfectly in another? The only other thing I
    > haven't tried (only now thought of it) is downsizing the ram speed in
    > the bios.

    Check your version of MemTest is up to date.
    Otherwise, it can incorrectly report memory errors.

    Peter, Jan 22, 2009
  4. Rob S

    PeeCee Guest

    "Rob S" <> wrote in message
    snip
    .. Yesterday I was doing my quarterly cleanup of my
    > niece's pc (she insists on using Limewire and for some reason her
    > anti-virus and anti-spyware defs are never up to date, no matter how I
    > setup auto downloads or give her written instructions).

    snip
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Rob

    May I respectfully suggest you make it quite plain to your Niece that if she
    continues to use Limewire (and any other P2P music download software) then
    she is going to have to pay someone 'else' to fix her PC.

    It is well known that a significant portion of P2P downloaded music contains
    malware and virus's, fully 30% in Limewires case.
    Current nasties are programed to specifically disable Anti Virus and Anti
    Spyware products and no amount of auto downloads and written instruction
    will beat them.
    i.e you are in a no win situation ( I'll bet you do it for nothing too)

    Sure we all give family help and asssistance and I have no problem with
    that.
    But if your Niece is not learning the consequences of her actions then the
    kindest thing you can do is to educate her with the realities of her
    actions.
    I appreciate I am nor privy to your personal relationship to your Niece but
    I would draw you attention to the fact that your Niece is aiding in the
    disemination of these infected files by having Limewire loaded and music in
    her shared folder particularly if she is on broadband.

    Are you happy she is helping to perpetuate the problems caused by infected
    music downloads?

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 22, 2009
  5. Rob S

    Rob S Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Rob S wrote:
    >> Has anyone else run across anything like this? A stick that tests out
    >> dead in one m/b but runs perfectly in another? The only other thing I
    >> haven't tried (only now thought of it) is downsizing the ram speed in
    >> the bios.

    > Check your version of MemTest is up to date.
    > Otherwise, it can incorrectly report memory errors.

    Tried 2 versions, one that came with Ubuntu 8.10, which should be up to
    date, and an older version on a UBCD download. Both produce lovely
    scrolling lines in a bright red font. :)

    --
    Rob
    Little Johnny was a scientist. Little Johnny is no more. For what he

    Rob S, Jan 22, 2009
  6. Rob S

    Rob S Guest

    PeeCee wrote:
    > "Rob S" <> wrote in message
    > snip
    > . Yesterday I was doing my quarterly cleanup of my
    >> niece's pc (she insists on using Limewire and for some reason her
    >> anti-virus and anti-spyware defs are never up to date, no matter how I
    >> setup auto downloads or give her written instructions).

    > snip
    >> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    > Rob
    >
    > May I respectfully suggest you make it quite plain to your Niece that if
    > she continues to use Limewire (and any other P2P music download
    > software) then she is going to have to pay someone 'else' to fix her PC.

    I gave her the message when she picked up her pc that I would not look
    at it again if she re-installed limewire. Three times with the same
    problems and cause stretched even my patience too far. With the new
    copyright law taking effect soon I impressed on her the illegality of
    her actions again as well.

    > It is well known that a significant portion of P2P downloaded music
    > contains malware and virus's, fully 30% in Limewires case.

    I didn't know the ratio was that high, but even 5% is way too much,
    making chances of picking up nasties nearly inevitable.

    > Current nasties are programed to specifically disable Anti Virus and
    > Anti Spyware products and no amount of auto downloads and written
    > instruction will beat them.

    Thought something like that might be the cause.

    > i.e you are in a no win situation ( I'll bet you do it for nothing too)

    Yup. Normal family situation. I might get a home cooked meal or a lotto
    lucky dip occasionally.

    > Sure we all give family help and asssistance and I have no problem with
    > that.
    > But if your Niece is not learning the consequences of her actions then
    > the kindest thing you can do is to educate her with the realities of her
    > actions.
    > I appreciate I am nor privy to your personal relationship to your Niece
    > but I would draw you attention to the fact that your Niece is aiding in
    > the disemination of these infected files by having Limewire loaded and
    > music in her shared folder particularly if she is on broadband.
    >
    > Are you happy she is helping to perpetuate the problems caused by
    > infected music downloads?

    See above. Horses and water come to mind. Thanks for your views. They
    correspond with mine in all respects.

    --
    Rob
    Fine, fine, everything is fine. But using your GUI's breaking my mind!

    Rob S, Jan 22, 2009
  7. Rob S

    Rob S Guest

    geoff wrote:
    > Rob S wrote:
    >> Has anyone else run across anything like this? A stick that tests out
    >> dead in one m/b but runs perfectly in another? The only other thing I
    >> haven't tried (only now thought of it) is downsizing the ram speed in
    >> the bios.

    > Yep - it's quite common for a particular mobo to have trouble with different
    > manufacturers' ostensibly-identical spec RAM. Sometimes a BIOS update fixes
    > things. Sometimes fiddling the R
    > parasmeters can overcome it, if those adjustments are available in BIOS.
    >
    > geoff

    Updated my bios about 3 weeks ago. I'll have a play around with the ram
    and bios when I can be bothered with crawling around in tight spaces
    again, which I doubt will be in the immediate future. I took the
    opportunity to remove dust build-up in the box and tidied wiring
    involving 3 boxes and attendant keyboards, mice etc. at the time. Not
    something I want to do again in a hurry with a fused spine. My pain
    clinic doctor is already worried about the amount of a particular
    painkiller I take just to get through an ordinary day when I try not to
    stress my back.

    --
    Rob
    BTW, FWIW, IMHO, AFAIK, yes. OTOH, AAMOF, maybe not. YMMV.

    Rob S, Jan 22, 2009
  8. Rob S

    Rob S Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Rob S wrote:
    >> I have a 1gig stick of Adata 400 DDR ram which I tried installing in a
    >> Asrock 4CoreDX90-VSTA (Intel) m/b but refused to boot. Memtest86
    >> confirmed it as dead. Yesterday I was doing my quarterly cleanup of my
    >> niece's pc (she insists on using Limewire and for some reason her
    >> anti-virus and anti-spyware defs are never up to date, no matter how I
    >> setup auto downloads or give her written instructions). Anyway, her pc
    >> is based on a MSI K7N2 (AMD) m/b.
    >>
    >> She only has 256Mb DDR266 ram, so I had a search among my bits &
    >> pieces and came across the Adata stick. Having forgotten that it was
    >> dead, I plugged it in and it booted and ran perfectly. Remembering
    >> then that I previously thought it was dead, I tried running it in the
    >> Asrock board, but again it wouldn't run. I tried both slots as well
    >> as every combination of ram, 1 stick, 2 sticks, alternate slots etc.,
    >> but it still wouldn't boot and Memtest86 still confirmed it as dead.
    >> The ram I'm currently running in the Asrock is the same brand, size
    >> and speed as the dead stick.
    >>
    >> At this stage my niece arrived to pick up her pc, so I gave it back
    >> with just the original ram plus another 256Mb stick I had lying
    >> around. I hadn't tried running Memtest86 with the dead? stick in her
    >> pc.
    >> Has anyone else run across anything like this? A stick that tests out
    >> dead in one m/b but runs perfectly in another? The only other thing I
    >> haven't tried (only now thought of it) is downsizing the ram speed in
    >> the bios.

    > This seems pretty obvious to me, maybe I'm missing something?
    >
    > It seems that the module won't run at it's rated speed in your mobo (you
    > said it was 400) but will run at a reduced speed (266) in her mobo. Other
    > factors could of course come into play such as your mobo might have a bit of
    > voltage droop from running more / bigger modules but it sems to me most
    > likely to be the speed issue.
    >
    > Cheers,

    You're probably right Shaun. I think what I'll end up doing is giving my
    niece the stick and get a new one for myself. That of course depends on
    finances, being a state funded invalid. I just hope that when I do get
    another stick I don't have the same problem which would point to voltage
    stability issues. I really don't want to have to get a new m/b. I'm
    currently running just 1 gig with Ubuntu 8.10. Runs that fine, but a
    couple of virtual machines (XP & Solaris) and Boinc with 4 projects
    slows it to a crawl at times.

    Cheers.

    --
    Rob
    Excuse me for butting in, but I'm interrupt-driven...

    Rob S, Jan 23, 2009
  9. Rob S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Jan 23, 2009
  10. Rob S

    Rob S Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Rob S wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> This seems pretty obvious to me, maybe I'm missing something?
    >>>
    >>> It seems that the module won't run at it's rated speed in your mobo
    >>> (you said it was 400) but will run at a reduced speed (266) in her
    >>> mobo. Other factors could of course come into play such as your mobo
    >>> might have a bit of voltage droop from running more / bigger modules
    >>> but it sems to me most likely to be the speed issue.

    >> You're probably right Shaun. I think what I'll end up doing is giving
    >> my niece the stick and get a new one for myself. That of course
    >> depends on finances, being a state funded invalid.

    Would you believe she rang last night with problems? Pc rebooting itself
    at irregular intervals. First thoughts were power supply or cpu fan, but
    after a google I found out that some AMD systems suffer reboots after
    installing XP SP3. I had loaded her pc with a slipstreamed SP3 disk.
    Looks like I'll have to re-install with SP2, boot in safe mode, rename a
    problem file, reboot and apply a patch then install SP3, which I'm very
    tempted not to do, as aside from virii etc, SP2 hummed along nicely for
    the last couple of years.

    Here's the procedure, if anyone else has this problem.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01457284
    or http://tinyurl.com/5b9xkh

    I hope this fixes her problem, otherwise it's probably hardware, and
    I'll have to pull a power supply out of my web server to try in her pc.
    Ah well. At least she doesn't use limewire any more. With my luck
    she'll find out about torrents and get bugs that way instead. :-x

    > Snap.
    >
    >> I just hope that
    >> when I do get another stick I don't have the same problem which would
    >> point to voltage stability issues. I really don't want to have to get
    >> a new m/b.

    > Why would you need a new mobo? You do have an Asus right? <g> Both Asus'
    > mobos and graphics cards have a three year warranty.

    When I bought this board it was only ever intended as a short term deal
    (finances). Sure I could get a replacement on warranty, but I was hoping
    the next time I had to fiddle around with teeny wires (power blocks,
    front usb etc.) it would be with a better board. I have problems with
    fiddly things after a tumor strangling my spinal cord. But if the mobo
    does clap out I'll face that hurdle blah blah.

    I'm waiting on a

    Rob S, Jan 23, 2009
  11. Rob S

    PeeCee Guest

    "Rob S" <> wrote in message
    > PeeCee wrote:
    >> "Rob S" <> wrote in message
    >> snip
    >> . Yesterday I was doing my quarterly cleanup of my
    >>> niece's pc (she insists on using Limewire and for some reason her
    >>> anti-virus and anti-spyware defs are never up to date, no matter how I
    >>> setup auto downloads or give her written instructions).

    >> snip
    >>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    >> Rob
    >>
    >> May I respectfully suggest you make it quite plain to your Niece that if
    >> she continues to use Limewire (and any other P2P music download software)
    >> then she is going to have to pay someone 'else' to fix her PC.
    >>

    > I gave her the message when she picked up her pc that I would not look at
    > it again if she re-installed limewire. Three times with the same problems
    > and cause stretched even my patience too far. With the new copyright law
    > taking effect soon I impressed on her the illegality of her actions again
    > as well.
    >
    >> It is well known that a significant portion of P2P downloaded music
    >> contains malware and virus's, fully 30% in Limewires case.

    > I didn't know the ratio was that high, but even 5% is way too much, making
    > chances of picking up nasties nearly inevitable.

    snip

    Rob

    PC Authority had an article on P2P programs in the October 2008 issue.

    <quote>
    We anticipated these systems might be less safe than BitTorrent, but were
    shocked at how right we were. We used LimeWire to download 123 randomly
    selected files. A remarkable 37 of them contained malware, including the
    Puper.G and DNSChanger trojans and the Sality virus. Around a third of our
    infected downloads were deceptively named, with executables made to look
    like music files.

    A 30% infection rate is worrying enough, but it isn't the only risk
    associated with LimeWire and its companions. These clients share entire
    folders, rather than individual files as with BitTorrent, making it possible
    to accidentally share more data than intended. This could result in your
    personal data being lost or even legal consequences if you end up sharing
    copyrighted material.
    </quote>

    Scary eh!

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 24, 2009
  12. Rob S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Rob S wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Rob S wrote:
    >>> I have a 1gig stick of Adata 400 DDR ram which I tried installing
    >>> in a Asrock 4CoreDX90-VSTA (Intel) m/b but refused to boot.
    >>> Memtest86 confirmed it as dead. Yesterday I was doing my quarterly
    >>> cleanup of my niece's pc (she insists on using Limewire and for
    >>> some reason her anti-virus and anti-spyware defs are never up to
    >>> date, no matter how I setup auto downloads or give her written
    >>> instructions). Anyway, her pc is based on a MSI K7N2 (AMD) m/b.
    >>>
    >>> She only has 256Mb DDR266 ram, so I had a search among my bits &
    >>> pieces and came across the Adata stick. Having forgotten that it was
    >>> dead, I plugged it in and it booted and ran perfectly. Remembering
    >>> then that I previously thought it was dead, I tried running it in
    >>> the Asrock board, but again it wouldn't run. I tried both slots as
    >>> well as every combination of ram, 1 stick, 2 sticks, alternate
    >>> slots etc., but it still wouldn't boot and Memtest86 still
    >>> confirmed it as dead. The ram I'm currently running in the Asrock
    >>> is the same brand, size and speed as the dead stick.
    >>>
    >>> At this stage my niece arrived to pick up her pc, so I gave it back
    >>> with just the original ram plus another 256Mb stick I had lying
    >>> around. I hadn't tried running Memtest86 with the dead? stick in her
    >>> pc.
    >>> Has anyone else run across anything like this? A stick that tests
    >>> out dead in one m/b but runs perfectly in another? The only other
    >>> thing I haven't tried (only now thought of it) is downsizing the
    >>> ram speed in the bios.

    >> This seems pretty obvious to me, maybe I'm missing something?
    >>
    >> It seems that the module won't run at it's rated speed in your mobo
    >> (you said it was 400) but will run at a reduced speed (266) in her
    >> mobo. Other factors could of course come into play such as your mobo
    >> might have a bit of voltage droop from running more / bigger modules
    >> but it sems to me most likely to be the speed issue.

    > You're probably right Shaun. I think what I'll end up doing is giving
    > my niece the stick and get a new one for myself. That of course
    > depends on finances, being a state funded invalid.

    Snap.

    > I just hope that
    > when I do get another stick I don't have the same problem which would
    > point to voltage stability issues. I really don't want to have to get
    > a new m/b.

    Why would you need a new mobo? You do have an Asus right? <g> Both Asus'
    mobos and graphics cards have a three year warranty. I'm waiting on a
    graphics card that's been sent to Aussie apparently. 18 months and it's
    locking the machine up solid, regardless of drivers. For sure a hardware
    thing. I marked the card in case they try to send the same one back.....

    > I'm currently running just 1 gig with Ubuntu 8.10. Runs
    > that fine, but a couple of virtual machines (XP & Solaris) and Boinc
    > with 4 projects slows it to a crawl at times.

    I bet it does. I'm running a ThinkPad for now and I have it maxed out at 2GB
    RAM and no pagefile. (Win XP Pro.)

    Be well,
    --
    Shaun.

    he`ll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett, Jingo

    ~misfit~, Jan 24, 2009