  1. My licence is almost up for ZAP.

    For what "Valid" reasons do some posters reccomend Kerio over ZAP?

    Spammicus Killius:NO EMAIL REPLIES

    Spammicus Killius, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Spammicus Killius

    Mimic Guest

    "Spammicus Killius" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My licence is almost up for ZAP.
    >
    > For what "Valid" reasons do some posters reccomend Kerio over ZAP?
    >

    > Spammicus Killius:NO EMAIL REPLIES

    I recently got ZA, couple days left on my Pro trial, and i must say its
    great, alot better than standard ZA, ill definately be using ZAP from now
    on. As for Kerio, i tried it once ages ago and for some reason i didnt like
    it :p

    --
    Mimic

    and those that dont."
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero".

    Mimic, Jan 10, 2004

  3. Spammicus Killius

    ± Þete ± Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 14:17:05 +0000, whilst in NewsFroup
    alt.computer.security, Spammicus Killius <>
    articulated the following sentiments :

    >My licence is almost up for ZAP.
    >
    >For what "Valid" reasons do some posters reccomend Kerio over ZAP?

    Validity is in the eye of the beholder surely. A couple of years back, I was
    using ZAP and embarked upon a P2P 'stage'. I found that ZAP was hogging a
    lot of CPU resources, and wondered if this was the 'norm' for other software
    firewalls. I remember reading a recommendation for Kerio Personal Firewall
    as a response to another P2P user's query about ZAP's CPU hoggetry.

    More out of curiosity than any other reason, I gave KPF a whirl and found it
    to be far less 'bloaty' in terms of resources consumed, and also the general
    layout of the program in use. It helped a lot that it was free too.
    Feature-wise, it was equal to ZAP if not better.

    I do find ZAP is spammed and hyped about more than any other software
    firewall I've seen for the home user. Try Kerio for yourself, make up your
    own mind. If you end up preferring ZAP, that's ok !

    At the end of the day, aside from it getting bloody dark, everyone has their
    favourite Firewall and AV software which in their opinion, totally rules
    over all the competition. Try Kerio for your yourself. It's another case of
    suck-it-and-see.

    http://www.kerio.com/dwn/kpf/kerio-pf-2.1.5-en-win.exe

    >Spammicus Killius:NO EMAIL REPLIES

    No worries.

    Egrads,

    Pete.

    ± Þete ±, Jan 11, 2004
  4. Spammicus Killius

    donutbandit Guest

    ± Þete ± <> wrote in

    >>My licence is almost up for ZAP.
    >>
    >>For what "Valid" reasons do some posters reccomend Kerio over ZAP?

    Personally, I never trust software that requires you to maintain a
    constant connection with "mother." Especially a firewall, which is software
    that is supposed to protect you from exchange of data that you don't want
    exchanged.

    Just what IS ZA telling ZA Central? Why does it need this connection when
    other firewalls don't?

    It's been speculated that ZA may actually be spyware of the most insidious
    kind - spyware that is masquerading as a firewall. That doesn't have to be
    true, but it is certainly possible. For that reason alone, I would NEVER
    trust Zone Alarm on my computer.

    I have been using Kerio version 2 for 3 years. It is simply the best free
    personal firewall there is. It does everything ZA does and more.

    BTW, if you decide to try Kerio, DON'T use version 4. Version 4 has been
    buggy from the beginning and still is. It also tries to mimic ZA's
    interface, which IMO is a step in the wrong direction.

    KPF 2.1.5 is still available, but is not easy to find if you don't know
    just where to look.

    http://www.kerio.com/dwn/kpf/kerio-pf-2.1.5-en-win.exe

    donutbandit, Jan 11, 2004
  5. Spammicus Killius

    phoenix Guest

    On 11 Jan 2004 20:55:42 GMT, donutbandit wrote:

    > ± Þete ± <> wrote in
    >
    >>>My licence is almost up for ZAP.
    >>>
    >>>For what "Valid" reasons do some posters reccomend Kerio over ZAP?

    > Personally, I never trust software that requires you to maintain a
    > constant connection with "mother." Especially a firewall, which is software
    > that is supposed to protect you from exchange of data that you don't want
    > exchanged.
    >
    > Just what IS ZA telling ZA Central? Why does it need this connection when
    > other firewalls don't?
    >
    > It's been speculated that ZA may actually be spyware of the most insidious
    > kind - spyware that is masquerading as a firewall. That doesn't have to be
    > true, but it is certainly possible. For that reason alone, I would NEVER
    > trust Zone Alarm on my computer.
    >
    > I have been using Kerio version 2 for 3 years. It is simply the best free
    > personal firewall there is. It does everything ZA does and more.
    >
    > BTW, if you decide to try Kerio, DON'T use version 4. Version 4 has been
    > buggy from the beginning and still is. It also tries to mimic ZA's
    > interface, which IMO is a step in the wrong direction.
    >
    > KPF 2.1.5 is still available, but is not easy to find if you don't know
    > just where to look.
    >
    > http://www.kerio.com/dwn/kpf/kerio-pf-2.1.5-en-win.exe

    ZA (free or Pro) doesn't require you to maintain a connection to anything.
    It sends no information to Zonelabs and nobody has ever shown that it does.
    What it will do is check for updates but that option can be turned off.

    Regards

    Bill

    phoenix, Jan 11, 2004
  6. And Sygate? (was ZneAlarm Pro v Kerio)

    And Sygate?

    Richard

    Richard Steinfeld, Jan 25, 2004