[ZLR] Nikon Coolpix 8800 with VR built in

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Browne, Sep 16, 2004.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    While we're all delighted with the D2x and that will generate a
    lot of food for thought (or fodder for ...)..another Nikon
    announcement is quite intriguing:

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04091603nikoncp8800.asp

    10X optical zoom (35-350 in 35mm equivlent)

    built in VR (optical Vibration Reduction)
    (okay somebody has to react to K-M and Panasonic).

    Downsides:
    ISO 400 max
    2/3" sensor (6.6 x 8.8 mm).

    $999

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Sep 16, 2004

  2. Alan Browne

    Chuck Guest

    Chuck, Sep 16, 2004

  3. Alan Browne

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Jim Townsend, Sep 16, 2004
  4. Woodchuck Bill, Sep 16, 2004
  5. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne, Sep 16, 2004
  6. Alan Browne <> wrote in

    > While we're all delighted with the D2x and that will generate a
    > lot of food for thought (or fodder for ...)..another Nikon
    > announcement is quite intriguing:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04091603nikoncp8800.asp
    >
    > 10X optical zoom (35-350 in 35mm equivlent)
    >
    > built in VR (optical Vibration Reduction)
    > (okay somebody has to react to K-M and Panasonic).
    >
    > Downsides:
    > ISO 400 max
    > 2/3" sensor (6.6 x 8.8 mm).
    >
    > $999
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan

    Actually the 8400 looks better to me because of the 24mm wide angle (35mm
    film equiv) than the 10X zoom on the 8800.

    --

    "We are twice armed if we fight with faith." (Plato)

    -Richard Cockburn

    Richard Cockburn, Sep 16, 2004
  7. Alan Browne <> writes:

    > While we're all delighted with the D2x and that will generate a lot of food for
    > thought (or fodder for ...)..another Nikon announcement is quite intriguing:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04091603nikoncp8800.asp
    >
    > 10X optical zoom (35-350 in 35mm equivlent)
    >
    > built in VR (optical Vibration Reduction)
    > (okay somebody has to react to K-M and Panasonic).
    >
    > Downsides:
    > ISO 400 max
    > 2/3" sensor (6.6 x 8.8 mm).
    >
    > $999

    More importantly if you actually want to use the thing in low light situations:

    f/5.2 lens at full telephoto.

    If it had a f/3.5 or f/4 lens perhaps it might be more interesting. Its a
    shame, because I like a lot of other features that they have that Panasonic
    doesn't have.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Sep 16, 2004
  8. Michael Meissner, Sep 16, 2004
  9. Alan Browne

    Chuck Guest

    Chuck, Sep 16, 2004
  10. Alan Browne

    Chuck Guest

    Panasonic is not and he was comparing it to the Panasonic.
    (Which has a 12x lense , not a 10x , and also , f2.8 all the way)

    He was also comparing it to the Minolta, which only has a 7X lense.

    Who cares about the 8 MP anyway. What we want is a 10x with VR. 5 or 6 Mp
    would be enough for me.
    Also, it cant go higher than 400 iso :(

    Chuck, Sep 16, 2004
  11. Alan Browne

    Chuck Guest

    neither the Panasonic or the Minolta is a 8mp anyway

    Chuck, Sep 16, 2004
  12. "Chuck" <> writes:

    > neither the Panasonic or the Minolta is a 8mp anyway

    The Minolta A2 and A200 are both 8 megapixels. True the Minolta 7D is 'only' 6
    megapixels, but I would imagine DSLR pixels are a lot less noiser than the
    current 8 megapixel cameras.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Sep 17, 2004
  13. David J Taylor, Sep 17, 2004
  14. Chuck wrote:
    > Panasonic is not and he was comparing it to the Panasonic.
    > (Which has a 12x lense , not a 10x , and also , f2.8 all the way)
    >
    > He was also comparing it to the Minolta, which only has a 7X lense.
    >
    > Who cares about the 8 MP anyway. What we want is a 10x with VR. 5 or
    > 6 Mp would be enough for me.
    > Also, it cant go higher than 400 iso :(

    You can shoot at 5MP with the 8800 should you wish.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 17, 2004
  15. Woodchuck Bill wrote:
    []
    > This might be time for me to upgrade from my 5700.

    Same here - can't wait to put my money down (assuming the reviews are OK).
    Would most likely get the 28mm wide-angle and the polarising filter as
    well.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 17, 2004
  16. Richard Cockburn wrote:
    []
    > Actually the 8400 looks better to me because of the 24mm wide angle
    > (35mm film equiv) than the 10X zoom on the 8800.

    ... and a wide-angle adapter can take you even wider (18mm I think).

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 17, 2004
  17. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Chuck wrote:

    > neither the Panasonic or the Minolta is a 8mp anyway

    A2 is 8 MP and has antishake ... but less optical zoom (7.1x)

    Alan Browne, Sep 17, 2004
  18. "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:

    >Same here - can't wait to put my money down (assuming the reviews are OK).
    >Would most likely get the 28mm wide-angle and the polarising filter as
    >well.

    Since it's the same price as the 8700 was and adds VR it will probably
    be quite popular. Personally I'd give up the VR if they'd just have
    improved the low light focusing so that you have a chance of getting
    the picture you see when the viewscreen blanks, not 2 or 3 seconds
    later.

    Scott Peterson

    --
    Kinky is when you and your partner use
    a feather. Perverse is when you use the

    63/588

    Scott Peterson, Sep 19, 2004
  19. Scott Peterson wrote:
    []
    > Since it's the same price as the 8700 was and adds VR it will probably
    > be quite popular. Personally I'd give up the VR if they'd just have
    > improved the low light focusing so that you have a chance of getting
    > the picture you see when the viewscreen blanks, not 2 or 3 seconds
    > later.
    >
    > Scott Peterson

    I tend to use the half-pressed shutter release in those circumstances, and
    single-shot auto-focus.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 19, 2004