    feature.

    Thanks

    , Sep 21, 2008

  2. Lars Eighner Guest

    In our last episode,
    <>, the
    lovely and talented broadcast on
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    See <http://www.info-zip.org/>

    --
    Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/>
    If it wasn't for muscle spasms, I wouldn't get any exercise at all.

    Lars Eighner, Sep 21, 2008

  3. Guest

    wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >Can anyone recomend software that I can use for backup that would
    >provide scurity.
    >
    >I used to use WinZip, but it seems that the password is easy to break.

    It's not.

    >I'd like to be able to compress my files, but put a password on them.
    >
    >The MicrosoftLiveOnecare Compression doesn't seem to have a password
    >feature.

    If you look at a zip file in a text editor you will see the first two
    letters (bytes) are PK

    I used to zip my files then use a hex editor to change the PK to like
    PZ, the files then come across as corrupt. - very few if any would
    know to change the PZ back to PK.

    Just a thought.

    --

    Burger King sign
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/Arsenic_Wolf/DSCN0779.jpg

    , Sep 21, 2008
  4. Guest

    How did you do this?

    Thanks

    , Sep 21, 2008
  5. Guest

    Is there an older version of Zip that I don't have to pay for? It used
    to be free...

    Thanks

    , Sep 21, 2008
  6. I like IZArc... Not sure how good a password encryption it uses. May all
    be the same. Really want to be safe, I guess you could zip them regularly,
    and use some 3rd party encryption (pgp) thing to encrypt over.

    Matt Michaels, Sep 21, 2008
  7. Guest

    , Sep 21, 2008
  8. Guest

    , Sep 21, 2008
  9. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    Using GG googlegroups to read&post to usenet is a big disadvantage.

    > Can anyone recomend software that I can use for backup that would
    > provide scurity.

    Many free compressors have encryption, generally about 128bit.

    > I used to use WinZip, but it seems that the password is easy to break.

    One strategy for protecting a compressed file is to use a strong encrypter
    on the compressed file.

    > I'd like to be able to compress my files, but put a password on them.

    Compress them with the compressor/algorithm of your choice and encrypt
    them with a powerful encrypter of your choice; alternatively password
    protect ordinary compressed files with 128 bit security.

    There are many problems with read&post usenet with GG, many people don't
    see your posts because they filter GGers, GG has too much spam and
    hipcrime, GG is a clunky interface whereas newsreaders are smooth and
    filtered.

    There are numerous free newsreaders & newsservers. Just use GG for
    searching archives for answers to questions like yours.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 21, 2008
  10. chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > wrote:
    >
    >>Is there an older version of Zip that I don't have to pay for? It used
    >>to be free...

    > PKzip has never been freeware.
    >
    > "PKUNZIP (R) FAST! Extract Utility Version 2.04g 02-01-93
    > Copr. 1989-1993 PKWARE Inc. All Rights Reserved. Registered version
    > PKUNZIP Reg. U.S. Pat. and Tm. Off."

    Copyrighted does *not* mean not free.

    http://gnu.org

    Besides, that version was released after a spoof version that contained a virus.
    (2.04f I *think*) The company relented and released a version it intended to sell.
    Try earlier versions.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 22, 2008
  11. chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > Is there an older version of Zip that I don't have to pay for? It used
    > to be free...

    The command line version was until at *least* 2.04g. After that, they
    wanted money. gzip and unzip are free and open source. Compression
    *really* doesn't get any better after a certain point. Case in point: Take
    a BMP, convert it to a GIF '89 file and save it. Open the *same* BMP file,
    convert it to a jpeg and save. Compare the sizes. And *that's* using lossy
    compression for jpeg.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 22, 2008
  12. Tony Guest

    No wonder you had so much trouble with Freebin. Pkuzip wouldn't unzip shit let alone
    the binary files on Freebin.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know proper
    manners

    Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond the realm
    of understandability

    Tony, Sep 22, 2008
  13. Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >> PKzip has never been freeware.

    >> "PKUNZIP (R) FAST! Extract Utility Version 2.04g 02-01-93
    >> Copr. 1989-1993 PKWARE Inc. All Rights Reserved. Registered version
    >> PKUNZIP Reg. U.S. Pat. and Tm. Off."

    >Copyrighted does *not* mean not free.

    loser, did you read the link, no of course not your lucky to be able
    to read.

    Look you know nothing about windows or dos programs, your fix for any
    problem is to use scandisk which isn't even available on XP.

    Pkzip ran around $50 US. The above was taken from my copy of
    Pkunzip.exe
    --

    Large picture of two shuttles ready for lift off.
    http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/images/large/08pd2726.jpg

    , Sep 22, 2008
  14. Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >Take
    >a BMP, convert it to a GIF '89 file and save it. Open the *same* BMP file,
    >convert it to a jpeg and save. Compare the sizes. And *that's* using lossy
    >compression for jpeg.

    ..... You need to mention a BMP is a non compressed file format,
    changing it to anything else will make it smaller.

  15. why? Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 17:28:41 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >Can anyone recomend software that I can use for backup that would
    >provide scurity.
    >
    >I used to use WinZip, but it seems that the password is easy to break.

    Wasn't that the earlier than v8 releases using thier own encryption
    method? Nowdays they have AES.

    >I'd like to be able to compress my files, but put a password on them.

    Of course like any password, longer and more varied chars / numbers and
    symbols makes it harder. There are quite a few password generators, some
    free are downloadable.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Sep 22, 2008
  16. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > Can anyone recomend software that I can use for backup that would
    > provide scurity.
    >
    > I used to use WinZip, but it seems that the password is easy to break.
    >
    > I'd like to be able to compress my files, but put a password on them.

    Dont waste your time. You will forget the password anyway.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Sep 22, 2008
  17. chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>Take
    >>a BMP, convert it to a GIF '89 file and save it. Open the *same* BMP
    >>file, convert it to a jpeg and save. Compare the sizes. And *that's*
    >>using lossy compression for jpeg.

    > .... You need to mention a BMP is a non compressed file format,
    > changing it to anything else will make it smaller.

    Your point being? I suggested comparing the Gif and the jpeg. *Your*
    reading skills are *less* than marginal it appears.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 23, 2008
  18. Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 23:04:19 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Your point being? I suggested comparing the Gif and the jpeg. *Your*
    >reading skills are *less* than marginal it appears.

    His reading skills are better than your computer skills. What's your
    point?

    Evan Platt, Sep 23, 2008
  19. Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    > wrote in
    >
    >> chuckcar <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Take
    >>>a BMP, convert it to a GIF '89 file and save it. Open the *same* BMP
    >>>file, convert it to a jpeg and save. Compare the sizes. And *that's*
    >>>using lossy compression for jpeg.

    >> .... You need to mention a BMP is a non compressed file format,
    >> changing it to anything else will make it smaller.

    >Your point being? I suggested comparing the Gif and the jpeg. *Your*
    >reading skills are *less* than marginal it appears.

    There is only one compression level for a gif (as well as a 256 color
    limitation), Jpg has and adjustable level of compression.

    Your logic is *less* than marginal it appears (screams). as that was
    your answer for:

    >"Is there an older version of Zip that I don't have to pay for? It used to be free..."

    --

    Lego boat
    http://www.villiard.com/porte-avions-lego.html

    , Sep 23, 2008