    files at once. Command-line is ok.

    Thx,
    k*

    k*, Jul 9, 2003

  2. k*

    °Mike° Guest

    Get the WinZip command line support add-on, so that you
    can use a batch file to perform your task.
    http://www.winzip.com/wzcline.htm

    On 9 Jul 2003 02:40:24 GMT, in
    <Xns93B2C826FB8E7krhyphenusenetatdesp@130.133.1.4>
    k* scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 9, 2003

  3. k*

    JabberSmith Guest

    "k*" <> wrote in message
    > One more question. I have 200 *.txt files in the same directory and I want
    > to zip each of them into a *.zip file with the same name. Example:
    > my dog.txt => my dog.zip
    > old days.txt => old days.zip
    > ...and so on...
    >
    > I have winzip and winrar but I can't figure out how to do this for all
    > files at once. Command-line is ok.
    >
    > Thx,
    > k*

    http://www.winzip.com/wzcline.htm - download the add-in for free.

    Found that address in the Help files. You should check em out some time. :)

    JabberSmith, Jul 9, 2003
  4. k*

    k* Guest

    °Mike° <> wrote in news:3f2d8312.31749942
    @localhost.dot.net:

    > http://www.winzip.com/wzcline.htm

    I already have that add-on, but I still can't figure out how to do it (I
    know how to run wzzip and wzunzip for single files, but I can't figure out
    how to use it for my purpose..) Can you tell me how? I tried "wzzip *.zip
    *.txt", but that doesn't work...

    Thanks,
    k*

    k*, Jul 9, 2003
  5. k*

    °Mike° Guest

    Open a DOS box in the directory of your text files and type:

    dir /a-d /b >c:\windows\desktop\list.txt

    This will give you a list of the files in your folder, that
    you can use in a batch file. You will probably want to get
    a decent text editor with good replace functions:
    http://www.ultraedit.com

    Alternatively, ask in news:alt.msdos.batch

    On 9 Jul 2003 02:59:10 GMT, in
    <Xns93B2CB5544140krhyphenusenetatdesp@130.133.1.4>
    k* scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 9, 2003
  6. k*

    Jj Guest

    "k*" <> wrote in

    > One more question. I have 200 *.txt files in the same directory and I
    > want to zip each of them into a *.zip file with the same name.
    > Example: my dog.txt => my dog.zip
    > old days.txt => old days.zip
    > ...and so on...
    >
    > I have winzip and winrar but I can't figure out how to do this for all
    > files at once. Command-line is ok.
    >
    > Thx,
    > k*

    use winrar - it does zips too

    install it, start it.
    navigate to the directory with the files in
    select all the files
    click add
    change from rar to zip
    change compression method to best
    click the files tab
    select "put each file into seperate archive"
    click ok

    Jj, Jul 9, 2003
  7. k*

    Brian H¹© Guest

    In a desperate cry for help Jj said:

    > "k*" <> wrote in
    >
    >> One more question. I have 200 *.txt files in the same directory and I
    >> want to zip each of them into a *.zip file with the same name.
    >> Example: my dog.txt => my dog.zip
    >> old days.txt => old days.zip
    >> ...and so on...
    >>
    >> I have winzip and winrar but I can't figure out how to do this for all
    >> files at once. Command-line is ok.
    >>
    >> Thx,
    >> k*

    > use winrar - it does zips too
    >
    > install it, start it.
    > navigate to the directory with the files in
    > select all the files
    > click add
    > change from rar to zip
    > change compression method to best
    > click the files tab
    > select "put each file into seperate archive"
    > click ok

    But the OP wants to create seperate zip files for each file it finds, in a
    single operation.

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware

    Brian H¹©, Jul 9, 2003
  8. k*

    Jj Guest

    > But the OP wants to create seperate zip files for each file it finds,
    > in a single operation.

    like this:

    c:\folder\a.txt
    c:\folder\b.txt
    c:\fodler\c.txt
    becomes
    c:\folder\a.zip
    c:\folder\b.zip
    c:\folder\c.zip
    in a single operation. Isn't that what is wanted?

    better instructions:

    1) start winrar
    2) in winrar select all the files you want to zip
    3) click the add button at the top
    4) change the "archive format" setting in the new window from "rar" to "zip"
    5) click the files tab, click "put each file into seperate archive"
    6) click ok

    Maybe it only works with the registered version, works here anyway.

    Jj, Jul 9, 2003
  9. k*

    Ben Guest

    Re: Zipping many files -- each file into its own zip file with samename

    Go to http://www.ultimatezip.com/ and download ultimate zip for free.
    Then use the Batch Compressor in the Tools menu. Just keep adding files
    until you are done.

    Ben, Jul 10, 2003
  10. k*

    k* Guest

    Jj <> uttered in

    >> But the OP wants to create seperate zip files for each file it finds,
    >> in a single operation.
    >>

    > like this:
    >
    > c:\folder\a.txt
    > c:\folder\b.txt
    > c:\fodler\c.txt
    > becomes
    > c:\folder\a.zip
    > c:\folder\b.zip
    > c:\folder\c.zip
    > in a single operation. Isn't that what is wanted?
    >
    > better instructions:
    >
    > 1) start winrar
    > 2) in winrar select all the files you want to zip
    > 3) click the add button at the top
    > 4) change the "archive format" setting in the new window from "rar" to
    > "zip" 5) click the files tab, click "put each file into seperate
    > archive" 6) click ok
    >
    > Maybe it only works with the registered version, works here anyway.

    Jj,

    Yes, that's exactly what I wanted. Thanks a lot..works great! :)

    k*

    k*, Jul 10, 2003
  11. k*

    Josef Knecht Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote:

    > In a desperate cry for help Jj said:
    >
    >> "k*" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> One more question. I have 200 *.txt files in the same directory and I
    >>> want to zip each of them into a *.zip file with the same name.
    >>> Example: my dog.txt => my dog.zip
    >>> old days.txt => old days.zip
    >>> ...and so on...
    >>>
    >>> I have winzip and winrar but I can't figure out how to do this for all
    >>> files at once. Command-line is ok.
    >>>
    >>> Thx,
    >>> k*

    >> use winrar - it does zips too
    >>
    >> install it, start it.
    >> navigate to the directory with the files in
    >> select all the files
    >> click add
    >> change from rar to zip
    >> change compression method to best
    >> click the files tab
    >> select "put each file into seperate archive"
    >> click ok

    >But the OP wants to create seperate zip files for each file it finds, in a
    >single operation.

    Have you lost the ability to read, Brain? That's exactly what has
    been offered.

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    Josef Knecht, Jul 14, 2003
  12. k*

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Josef Knecht said:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote:

    >> In a desperate cry for help Jj said:
    >>
    >>> "k*" <> wrote in

    >>> use winrar - it does zips too
    >>>
    >>> install it, start it.
    >>> navigate to the directory with the files in
    >>> select all the files
    >>> click add
    >>> change from rar to zip
    >>> change compression method to best
    >>> click the files tab
    >>> select "put each file into seperate archive"
    >>> click ok

    >> But the OP wants to create seperate zip files for each file it finds, in a
    >> single operation.

    > Have you lost the ability to read, Brain? That's exactly what has
    > been offered.

    How far behind the rest of the world are you at the moment, 1 week?
    Catch up, and stop trolling me, or have you nothing better to do? Because you
    certainly aren't helping answer peoples problems.

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware mirror

    Brian H¹©, Jul 14, 2003
  13. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:QlxQa.11344$,
    Brian H¹© <> typed
    ||| Have you lost the ability to read, Brain? That's exactly what has
    ||| been offered.
    || How far behind the rest of the world are you at the moment, 1 week?
    || Catch up, and stop trolling me, or have you nothing better to do?

    Everyone's a troll...
    Everyone's a stalker...
    .... except *you*

    ---
    Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.

    Robert de Brus, Jul 14, 2003
  14. k*

    JR Guest

    On 9 Jul 2003 02:40:24 GMT, "k*" <> wrote:

    >One more question. I have 200 *.txt files in the same directory and I want
    >to zip each of them into a *.zip file with the same name. Example:
    >my dog.txt => my dog.zip
    >old days.txt => old days.zip
    >...and so on...
    >
    >I have winzip and winrar but I can't figure out how to do this for all
    >files at once. Command-line is ok.
    >
    >Thx,
    >k*

    Probably a bit late but in the bad old DOS days I used mzip.bat
    "I made it myself":

    @echo off
    if "%1"=="" goto Usage
    if "%1"=="*" goto Usage
    if "%1"=="*." goto Skip

    if exist *. ren *. *.#$&
    echo.
    echo Creating *. from *.%1 ...
    echo.> TEMP.!#$

    ren *.%1 *.
    for %%a in (*. ) do copy TEMP.!#$ %%a.TMP > nul
    ren *. *.%1
    ren *.TMP *.

    del TEMP.!#$
    echo Completed.
    echo.

    for %%f in (*. ) do pkzip %%f %%f.%1
    echo.
    echo Cleaning up ...
    del *.
    if exist *.#$& ren *.#$& *.
    echo Completed.
    echo.
    goto End

    :Usage
    echo.
    echo Usage: %0 [file extension]
    echo where [file extension] = TXT BMP etc. (but NOT * )
    echo or *. if desired files have no extension.
    echo.
    echo Purpose: Creates individual ZIPs of each file of a specified
    echo extension in the current directory, using the names of the files
    echo as the ZIP names.
    echo.
    goto End

    :Skip
    for %%f in (*. ) do pkzip %%f %%f.
    echo.

    :End

    JR, Jul 15, 2003
  15. X-No-Archive: Yes

    ||| Everyone's a troll...
    ||| Everyone's a stalker...
    ||| ... except *you*
    || Brain's not a troll - he's a 'respected reg'...

    he's a wanker
    he's never had respect in his life... nor will he ever

    ---
    Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.

    Robert de Brus, Jul 15, 2003