    safe program to use? Does anyone who has had a lot of experience
    sending compressed files have a suggestion of a program to buy? I'd
    like to have it on a CD 'cause I'm going to reformat this XP shortly.

    jaygreg, Dec 20, 2009

  2. jaygreg

    Mike Easter Guest

    jaygreg wrote:
    > I'm green to video files so I wasn't surprised when the email I sent
    > with an MP4 attachment spun around in my outbasket then generated a
    > message that the file was too long.

    If you are trying to email a file which is too big for email, the answer
    isn't to compress the file to make it smaller so that it will fit thru'
    one bottleneck just to encounter another bottleneck somewhere else along
    the mail pipeline process.

    It means that you are trying to use email for the wrong purpose. Email
    is for small attachments, not large ones.

    You should use some other method to transfer a large file, such as a
    file transfer service.

    > So... I guess I have to get
    > involved with compressing files.

    There are a lot of good reasons to have compression/decompression
    software. Popular freewares are IZarc, Iceows, and 7zip.

    It looks like coffee cup is designed to try to email a compressed file,
    which is not how I think you should use your compression program.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 20, 2009