    Oh, one more thing...we see these messages in almost every group "Is
    that deleted file really gone?" If they aren't really gone, where can
    I find my 500MB that the ZIP thinks isn't there?
    PowerPost2000, Jan 21, 2006

  2. PowerPost2000

    ng_reader Guest

    "PowerPost2000" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Two ZIP 250 disks quit working last night. They worked 2 days ago,
    > now they won't. I get the "disk not formatted" message. It's an
    > external USB drive. I tried it on another computer, wouldn't work
    > there, either. Then I tried some older 100MB disks and they do work.
    >
    > Any idea what might be going on?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > Oh, one more thing...we see these messages in almost every group "Is
    > that deleted file really gone?" If they aren't really gone, where can
    > I find my 500MB that the ZIP thinks isn't there?

    By no means an expert, but Iomega caught some very negative flap back in the
    day. Something along the lines of "clunk:" of death or something. But, I
    think it meant the drive was bad, not the media. I know it's really stupid,
    but can you try another drive?

    I bought a new PC about 4 months ago, I didn't even consider moving over my
    zip drive. Why bother, any more?
    ng_reader, Jan 21, 2006

  3. PowerPost2000

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    PowerPost2000 spewed forth:
    > Two ZIP 250 disks quit working last night. They worked 2 days ago,
    > now they won't. I get the "disk not formatted" message. It's an
    > external USB drive. I tried it on another computer, wouldn't work
    > there, either. Then I tried some older 100MB disks and they do work.
    >
    > Any idea what might be going on?

    Sure. You're drive or your disks are going bad. Do you have access to a
    different /drive/ to test the disks in?

    > Oh, one more thing...we see these messages in almost every group "Is
    > that deleted file really gone?" If they aren't really gone, where can
    > I find my 500MB that the ZIP thinks isn't there?

    I do hope you aren't using the ZIP device as your sole copy of your data
    files? Critical files should never be trusted to just one location. If you
    drive is going bad, you might be able to recover data using a different
    drive. And there may be data recovery programs that work on ZIP drives, but
    I've not run across one.

    Typically, when people say the deleted file isn't really gone, it's because
    the space on the drive where the data physcially resides still exists. Given
    the tools, that data space can be read. Unless, of course, physical damage
    to that space has occured, or that space has been over-written with new
    data.

    --
    Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
    probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 21, 2006
  4. On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 14:00:32 -0500, ng_reader wrote:

    > "PowerPost2000" <> wrote in message
    >> Two ZIP 250 disks quit working last night. They worked 2 days ago, now
    >> they won't. I get the "disk not formatted" message. It's an external
    >> USB drive. I tried it on another computer, wouldn't work there, either.
    >> Then I tried some older 100MB disks and they do work.
    >>
    >> Any idea what might be going on?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >> Oh, one more thing...we see these messages in almost every group "Is
    >> that deleted file really gone?" If they aren't really gone, where can I
    >> find my 500MB that the ZIP thinks isn't there?

    > By no means an expert, but Iomega caught some very negative flap back in
    > the day. Something along the lines of "clunk:" of death or something. But,
    > I think it meant the drive was bad, not the media. I know it's really
    > stupid, but can you try another drive?

    COD: Click Of Death

    But you're right -- that was a drive issue, not a medium issue.

    IIRC, they did a recall or issued discounts on replacements or some such,
    as a result of - or to stave off - a class action suit.

    > I bought a new PC about 4 months ago, I didn't even consider moving over
    > my zip drive. Why bother, any more?

    I just made a SuSE/W2K dual boot box with clean installs, and while I was
    doing that, I happened to stick some old 100MB Zips in my external drive.
    What a trip down memory lane. I had three disks of downloads of much of
    the Win freeware I used back in the day (I went 98% Linux in 2002).
    They actually served a purpose; while they weren't the latest versions,
    they did provide a pool of quickly-available apps for the W2K side, that I
    didn't have to screw around downloading on my dialup connection. I can
    upgrade them as I feel like it; but that got me going with the essentials
    Irfan, PSP, Belarc, etc., right away.

    It also brought up a quirk on my old Win98SE laptop. It's got it into its
    pointy little head that any storage I plug into USB is that drive. Even
    when I plug in my Lexar jump drive, it shows in Windows as "ZIP 100". :)
    It works, though. :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 21, 2006
  5. PowerPost2000

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-01-21, PowerPost2000 <> wrote:
    > Two ZIP 250 disks quit working last night. They worked 2 days ago,
    > now they won't. I get the "disk not formatted" message. It's an
    > external USB drive. I tried it on another computer, wouldn't work
    > there, either. Then I tried some older 100MB disks and they do work.
    >
    > Any idea what might be going on?
    >
    > Thanks.

    All magnetic media can 'wear out'.

    Fading of magnetic records also happens; if these discs have seen a lot of
    use without being re-formatted then the 'marks' setting out the 'reference
    grid' used by the disc drive to find its place, may have faded just enough
    to drop below the threshold of sensitivity of the drive. (That is a long
    shot).

    You can also damage the data by letting the disc get too close to a
    magnetic field such as a CRT monitor, TV set, electric motor, generator,
    alternator, transmitter, high voltage cable, ...

    > Oh, one more thing...we see these messages in almost every group "Is
    > that deleted file really gone?" If they aren't really gone, where can
    > I find my 500MB that the ZIP thinks isn't there?

    Search for 'data recovery service'.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jan 21, 2006
  6. PowerPost2000

    Budweiser Guest

    > Two ZIP 250 disks quit working last night. They worked 2 days ago,
    > now they won't. I get the "disk not formatted" message. It's an
    > external USB drive. I tried it on another computer, wouldn't work
    > there, either. Then I tried some older 100MB disks and they do work.
    >
    > Any idea what might be going on?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > Oh, one more thing...we see these messages in almost every group "Is
    > that deleted file really gone?" If they aren't really gone, where can
    > I find my 500MB that the ZIP thinks isn't there?

    Where do you store them?---next to a pair of speakers or near the
    monitor?
    just a thought
    Budweiser, Jan 21, 2006
  7. On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:54:46 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

    > You can also damage the data by letting the disc get too close to a
    > magnetic field such as a CRT monitor, TV set, electric motor, generator,
    > alternator, transmitter, high voltage cable, ...

    ....vibrator... :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 21, 2006
  8. PowerPost2000

    Parko Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:54:46 +0000, Whiskers wrote:
    >

    >>You can also damage the data by letting the disc get too close to a
    >>magnetic field such as a CRT monitor, TV set, electric motor, generator,
    >>alternator, transmitter, high voltage cable, ...

    > ...vibrator... :)

    The ultimate ;)

    http://www.sharonausten.com.au/content/main.pl?page_id=50&tid=3&id=3462

    --
    Parko
    a). At the moment I miss the middle click option, desperately.
    Parko, Jan 22, 2006
  9. PowerPost2000

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-01-21, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:54:46 +0000, Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> You can also damage the data by letting the disc get too close to a
    >> magnetic field such as a CRT monitor, TV set, electric motor, generator,
    >> alternator, transmitter, high voltage cable, ...

    > ...vibrator... :)

    V guvax gurl ner zrnag sbe n qvssrerag fbeg bs sybccl ;))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jan 22, 2006
  10. PowerPost2000

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-01-22, Parko <> wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:54:46 +0000, Whiskers wrote:
    >>

    >>>You can also damage the data by letting the disc get too close to a
    >>>magnetic field such as a CRT monitor, TV set, electric motor, generator,
    >>>alternator, transmitter, high voltage cable, ...

    >> ...vibrator... :)
    >>

    > The ultimate ;)
    >
    > http://www.sharonausten.com.au/content/main.pl?page_id=50&tid=3&id=3462

    How much vibe can you get from a USB socket? I thought they were limited
    to 500mA which would be more of a tickle, surely?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jan 22, 2006
  11. On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:06:28 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2006-01-22, Parko <> wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> ...vibrator... :)
    >>>

    >> The ultimate ;)
    >>
    >> http://www.sharonausten.com.au/content/main.pl?page_id=50&tid=3&id=3462

    > How much vibe can you get from a USB socket? I thought they were limited
    > to 500mA which would be more of a tickle, surely?

    Well, you probably don't want something that'll rip flesh or cause an exit
    wound. If you do, Black & Decker probably has something for you. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 22, 2006
  12. PowerPost2000

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-01-22, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:06:28 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

    >>> The ultimate ;)
    >>>
    >>> http://www.sharonausten.com.au/content/main.pl?page_id=50&tid=3&id=3462

    >> How much vibe can you get from a USB socket? I thought they were limited
    >> to 500mA which would be more of a tickle, surely?

    > Well, you probably don't want something that'll rip flesh or cause an exit
    > wound. If you do, Black & Decker probably has something for you. :)

    This thread is getting a bit messy.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jan 22, 2006
  13. On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 11:38:01 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Well, you probably don't want something that'll rip flesh or cause an exit
    > wound. If you do, Black & Decker probably has something for you. :)

    Q: How can you spot a butch dyke?
    A: She jump-starts her vibrator.
    Gary G. Taylor, Jan 22, 2006
  14. On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:32:50 +0000, Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 11:38:01 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Well, you probably don't want something that'll rip flesh or cause an
    >> exit wound. If you do, Black & Decker probably has something for you.
    >> :)

    > Q: How can you spot a butch dyke?
    > A: She jump-starts her vibrator.

    My rice steamer is a Black & Decker. I'm still looking for where the saw
    and drill attachments plug in.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 22, 2006
  15. PowerPost2000

    old_post_bumper