ZIP Disk or External Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Deforce, Oct 12, 2003.

  1. Deforce

    Deforce Guest

    Deforce, Oct 12, 2003

  2. Deforce

    Miggsee Guest

    Be sure you get one with a power supply........so it's not pulling power
    through the system.

    Then again, how portable do you want it? What do you want to spend? What
    does current trade only mean? What OS??

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006IZV6/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_3/202-4486160-5091023

    Miggsee, Oct 12, 2003

  3. Deforce

    Mistoffolees Guest

    Deforce wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I was thinking of purchasing a portable storage unit for data, do you
    > think i should get either:
    >
    > 1. An External USB 2 Zip Disk 750 MB Drive
    >
    > at
    >
    > http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006IZV6/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_3/202-4486160-5091023
    >
    > or
    >
    > 2. An External USB Baby Matrix 2GB Hard Drive
    >
    > at
    >
    > http://www.babyusb.com/matrixoverview.htm
    >
    > Thanks for your time!

    With the present state of technology, the ZIP drive, IMHO, has seen its day.
    The alternatives are the small, portable 1 GB (or larger) USB Flash or Smart
    drives, although these sizes are still currently pricey. OTOH, CD-R(W) has
    become very attractive. Pratically every computer sold today has USB ports
    and CD-R(W) drives. Also, shop around. Depending on where you are, the
    local "street price" might be better than that from a volume discount chain,
    factoring in shipping, insurance costs, etc.
    Mistoffolees, Oct 12, 2003
  4. Deforce

    HamMan Guest

    "Deforce" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was thinking of purchasing a portable storage unit for data, do you
    > think i should get either:
    >

    > 1. An External USB 2 Zip Disk 750 MB Drive
    >
    > at

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006IZV6/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1
    _3/202-4486160-5091023

    > or
    >

    > 2. An External USB Baby Matrix 2GB Hard Drive
    >

    > at
    >

    > http://www.babyusb.com/matrixoverview.htm
    >

    > Thanks for your time!

    Well i got a 20Gb Laptop Hard Disk, and a USB Enclosure off eBay for about
    £70

    I've never had any problems with power usage etc.

    It doesnt need drivers in Me, 2k or XP and since is USB it will hook up to
    virtually any PC
    HamMan, Oct 12, 2003
  5. Deforce

    Roger Duke Guest

    "HamMan"
    <>
    wrote in message news:bmc7t4$lkd$...

    > "Deforce" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I was thinking of purchasing a portable storage unit for data, do you
    > > think i should get either:
    > >

    > > 1. An External USB 2 Zip Disk 750 MB Drive
    > >
    > > at

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006IZV6/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1
    > _3/202-4486160-5091023
    > >

    > > or
    > >

    > > 2. An External USB Baby Matrix 2GB Hard Drive
    > >

    > > at
    > >

    > > http://www.babyusb.com/matrixoverview.htm
    > >

    > > Thanks for your time!

    > Well i got a 20Gb Laptop Hard Disk, and a USB Enclosure off eBay for about
    > £70
    >
    > I've never had any problems with power usage etc.
    >
    > It doesnt need drivers in Me, 2k or XP and since is USB it will hook up to
    > virtually any PC

    I used a Zip until a year ago and tried CDs for a while. Now I use a Maxtor
    40GB USB 2 external HD with its own power supply and wouldn't go back --
    it's so quick and easy. The USB 2 is essential -- though Firewire would be
    fine too.

    --
    Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein
    Roger Duke, Oct 12, 2003