    to turn off the nVidia firewall.

    Thanks,
    Wayne
    =?Utf-8?B?QVNJQ19EdWRl?=, Aug 25, 2005

  2. Well, you already know what the problem is. ;) I'm sure uninstalling the
    firewall will fix it. Those of us not running that [censored] product aren't
    having problems.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 25, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QVNJQ19EdWRl?=

    Bill Guest

    May be related, may not. Similar problem on my A8N-SLI. Was getting a few
    other errors, registry hive corrupt, system has recovered from a serious
    error, etc. Then one day, my box failed to even boot to the BIOS screen.
    Different beep codes or none at all, totally random. Got a RMA number
    (CyberPower), returned the box. Got it back a few days ago, everything
    works correctly now including RAID. Don't know exactly what they did, but I
    know the motherboard, memory and video card are all new. Seems the drives
    and case/power supply are the only original items left. No more zip corrupt
    problems either.

    Might add CyberPower made the RMA process painless. A little hard to get
    through on the phone, but once that happened, the rest of the process was
    painless. The tech did NOT read from a script, asked a few questions,
    suggested a few fixes (reseating cards, memory etc.) . Told him I had
    alredy done that and then he said here is your RMA number. Shade less than
    3 weeks turn around to my APO address which I consider outstanding.

    I wiped the hard drives, reraided, installed 32 and x64 in dual boot and
    everything works. Now if Canon will just get off their butts and publish
    some x64 drivers, I can let the 32 bit install fade away.

    Bottom line, may be hardware related, more than likely, memory or video
    card.

    Bill

    Bill, Aug 26, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QVNJQ19EdWRl?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    did you by chance update the BIOS before updating the chipset drivers?
    ASUS now has some severe warnings about corrupting the file system on
    their web site. Also, FWIW, my A8N-SLI Deluxe started committing
    suicide with BIOS 1006. It's now replaced and happily running BIOS
    1013 and the newest chipset drivers, etc.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Aug 26, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?QVNJQ19EdWRl?=

    Bill Guest

    It was running the 1008 BIOS before and now also. Along with the 6.66 WHQL
    drivers. I will be going to the 1011 BIOS soon. I believe that is the last
    non-beta BIOS. As I try to stay away from beta BIOS's, I'll run whatever
    the latest non-beta is. I'm away from the x64 box for the weekend, but when
    I return Monday, I'll put it through some torture testing.

    Bill Sharpe

    "Barb Bowman" <> wrote in message
    > did you by chance update the BIOS before updating the chipset drivers?
    > ASUS now has some severe warnings about corrupting the file system on
    > their web site. Also, FWIW, my A8N-SLI Deluxe started committing
    > suicide with BIOS 1006. It's now replaced and happily running BIOS
    > 1013 and the newest chipset drivers, etc.
    >
    > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:17:55 +0900, "Bill"
    > <eschol@remove_this.shinbiro.com> wrote:
    >
    >>May be related, may not. Similar problem on my A8N-SLI. Was getting a
    >>few
    >>other errors, registry hive corrupt, system has recovered from a serious
    >>error, etc. Then one day, my box failed to even boot to the BIOS screen.
    >>Different beep codes or none at all, totally random. Got a RMA number
    >>(CyberPower), returned the box. Got it back a few days ago, everything
    >>works correctly now including RAID. Don't know exactly what they did, but
    >>know the motherboard, memory and video card are all new. Seems the drives
    >>and case/power supply are the only original items left. No more zip
    >>corrupt
    >>problems either.
    >>
    >>Might add CyberPower made the RMA process painless. A little hard to get
    >>through on the phone, but once that happened, the rest of the process was
    >>painless. The tech did NOT read from a script, asked a few questions,
    >>suggested a few fixes (reseating cards, memory etc.) . Told him I had
    >>alredy done that and then he said here is your RMA number. Shade less
    >>than
    >>3 weeks turn around to my APO address which I consider outstanding.
    >>
    >>I wiped the hard drives, reraided, installed 32 and x64 in dual boot and
    >>everything works. Now if Canon will just get off their butts and publish
    >>some x64 drivers, I can let the 32 bit install fade away.
    >>
    >>Bottom line, may be hardware related, more than likely, memory or video
    >>card.
    >>
    >>Bill
    >>
    >>"ASIC_Dude" <> wrote in message
    >>>I recently upgraded to XP x64. I'm running on Shuttle Box and generally,
    >>>my
    >>> upgrade has painless. All of the apps I have tried worked fine but few
    >>> parallel port drivers were discarded during the install process.
    >>>
    >>> The nVidia firewall is enabled (shame on me!!!) but everything other
    >>> than
    >>> ZIP downloads seem to be working just fine. Firefox runs better than on
    >>> 32
    >>> bit versions of XP.
    >>>
    >>> However, ZIP archives seem to be corrupted whenever I download them.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone else experienced ZIP file problems? Any fixes? Sure, I
    >>> promise
    >>> to turn off the nVidia firewall.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Wayne

    Bill, Aug 26, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QVNJQ19EdWRl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    The latest is 1011. Most of the BIOS up to the latest for the Deluxe
    version are a mess. 1011 final version requires a chipset update, which I
    would do from the ASUS site. For the Deluxe version I note that they have
    removed the 666 version and gone back to the 665 version. They haven't done
    that for the standard version, though. The IDE chipset drivers are not WHQL
    as I recall, but they work, finally, and as we have seen MANY times from
    both ASUS and Nvidia, older drivers sometimes are better drivers, even if
    not WHQL. Good luck.

    John Barnes, Aug 26, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?QVNJQ19EdWRl?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    The latest for the A8N-SLI Deluxe is 1013 (not the 1013.002 beta)

    >>> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Aug 26, 2005
  8. if the offending .zip was created with the latest verion of winzip they dont
    often work with what is built into x64. download winzip and you should be
    good to go. it worked for me when i came across a 'corrupted' .zip.
    =?Utf-8?B?enhub3M=?=, Aug 26, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?QVNJQ19EdWRl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Since he didn't say he had the deluxe, the standard version has the 1011 as
    the latest version.

    John Barnes, Aug 26, 2005
  10. RE: ZIP Archives damaged by nForce 4? / CAD tools that work

    I turned off the nVidia "Firewall" (which worked OK in x32). ZIP file
    download and my audio problems immediately disappeared. Thanks again,
    everyone.

    Over the weekend, I will be testing my CAD apps. So far the programs that I
    have tried all work well and seem quite a bit "faster" than on the x32
    version of XP. This seems especially true for simulation or place/route that
    work best with large amount of physical memory.

    In case, there may be other hardware/embedded software people on the list ,
    these programs seem to work:

    Aldec Simulator Version 6.3
    Rowley CrossWorks for ARM (GCC as well)
    Analog Devices Visual DSP (haven't tried PCI based JTAG debugging, yet)
    Xilinx ISE Version 7.1
    Altera Quartus Version 5.0 SP1

    If you require a JTAG conenction to your target, be aware that parallel port
    based devices like the MacGraigor Wiggler or early versions of the Altera
    Byte Blaster will not work. USB based JTAG debuggers do seem to work.

    I will try my PCI based JTAG debugger but I doubt that it will work as there
    is no 64 bit driver for it.

    I hope this info helps someone but your mileage may vary....

    Wayne

    =?Utf-8?B?QVNJQ19EdWRl?=, Aug 26, 2005
  11. Re: ZIP Archives damaged by nForce 4? / CAD tools that work

    Thanks for the report back, and especially about the details of some
    programs that are working well for you. As for nVidia and its firewall --
    well, what can we say that we haven't said already, repeatedly, here?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 26, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?QVNJQ19EdWRl?=

    Bill Guest

    Yep, just the standard, not the Deluxe. Will 1011 it when I get back
    Monday.

    Bill Sharpe

    Bill, Aug 27, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?QVNJQ19EdWRl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Make sure to apply the chipset updates first, and I would recommend using
    the ones on ASUS site even though they may be older than the Nvidia site
    drivers.

    John Barnes, Aug 27, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?QVNJQ19EdWRl?=

    Bill Guest

    6.65's, from ASUS site are already installed, so I should be ready.

    Bill

    Bill, Aug 28, 2005