    Offset: 00009241

    I appreciate the computer being sorry, but what am I
    supposed to do about this condition?

    Miles, Jun 4, 2005

  2. Miles

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Miles" <> wrote in message
    news:Frnoe.450$Cr.11@fed1read07...
    >I have a Gateway 614GE desktop computer running Xp.
    > When I bootup the computer, I get the following error
    > message:
    >
    > "zHotkey.exe has encountered a problem and needs to
    > close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
    >
    > Under details I find:
    > AppName: zhotkey.exe
    > AppVer: 3.0.0.7
    > Offset: 00009241
    >
    > I appreciate the computer being sorry, but what am I
    > supposed to do about this condition?

    It appears to be the drivers for custom buttons on Chicony keyboards. If you
    don't use those buttons, find where the file is being loaded from and
    eliminate it from running. If you want those buttons to work, try
    downloading the most current keyboard drivers from Gateway.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 4, 2005

  3. Miles

    CountryLover Guest

    On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 12:39:21 -0700, "Miles" <> wrote:

    >I have a Gateway 614GE desktop computer running Xp.
    >When I bootup the computer, I get the following error
    >message:
    >
    >"zHotkey.exe has encountered a problem and needs to
    >close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
    >
    >Under details I find:
    >AppName: zhotkey.exe
    >AppVer: 3.0.0.7
    >Offset: 00009241
    >
    >I appreciate the computer being sorry, but what am I
    >supposed to do about this condition?

    Look here:
    http://www.file.net/process/zhotkey.exe.html

    zHotkey.exe appears to be a multimedia keyboard driver. If it came with your
    Gateway, you could try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it.

    HTH

    CountryLover, Jun 4, 2005
  4. Miles

    Miles Guest

    I tried downloading driver from Gateway and the same error message popped up.
    The keyboard seems to work fine, at least the keys I am now using. I don't know
    how to eliminate the zhotkey.exe from running except by using selective startup
    and msconfig. zhotkey.exe is listed in the startup list. Even if I turn everything
    else off in msconfig startup, the same error message pops up.
    Dick

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Miles, Jun 5, 2005
  5. Miles

    Toolman Tim Guest

    msconfig.exe will tell you *where*the program is being loaded from. You may
    need to scroll the screen, or widen the columns to get all the information
    you need. What does it say under "Location"?

    Of course, as I mentioned earlier, disabling it will obviously cause the
    buttons to stop functioning. If you want your buttons to work, you will
    probably need to leave it alone.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 5, 2005
  6. Miles

    Miles Guest

    I removed zhotkey.exe using add/remove programs.
    The keys I have been using on the keyboard still work fine.
    The bootup error message is gone.
    I'll just leave it this way now.
    Thanks,
    Dick

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Miles, Jun 5, 2005
  7. Miles

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Good enough <g>! The CD player keys on my keyboard work without the extra
    drivers, but the "web" buttons don't. But then, I don't need a special
    keyboard button for email or "search", so who cares ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Jun 5, 2005
  8. Miles

    Miles Guest

    Actually I do use the e-mail button and it still works.
    Dick

    Miles, Jun 5, 2005