"Zero Wireless Configuration" Service missing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?aGFycnktdQ==?=, Aug 7, 2005.

  1. I have a Toshiba Pentium III laptop with XP SP1 installed.

    I've had an 802.11b router and network card and it worked fine. Now I'm
    trying to upgrade to a D-Link 802.11g router and card and am having some
    set-up problems with the card. It wouldn't find the router. I did some
    troubleshooting on D-Link's website and come to find out my XP Services is
    missing the Zero Wireless Configuration utility.

    I compared it to my other laptop and I have the wzcsvc.dll file, and I even
    downloaded an updated version from the MS site, but the service still doesn't
    show up.

    I can't upgrade to XP SP2 because Toshiba provided a modified version of XP
    and XP SP1 due to some hardware issues... they didn't support SP2 though and
    so I'm stuck with one on this machine. If I use Microsofts upgrade, parts of
    my laptop won't work.

    Is it possible for me to get a copy of just that utility to install? Or
    what other files are necessary for that service to run and I can copy them
    from my other laptop. Or is there a Windows Registry entry that needs to be
    adjusted?

    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! I'm stuck until I get this
    figured out.

    =?Utf-8?B?aGFycnktdQ==?=, Aug 7, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?aGFycnktdQ==?=

    Clark Guest

    I understood in was installed in SP2, but I may be wrong. If it would help
    you any, I have that utility but choose to use the one that came with the
    wireless card.

    If you can't see the wireless, get close, turn off security, turn on SSID
    broadcasts, and make sure the wireless is turned on for the computer and on
    the router. If you do a "scan for networks", you should see yours if the
    card is working. If you don't, check to see if the lights are blinking on
    your wireless card or the router, and if not, check the drivers for the
    card.

    Clark

    Clark, Aug 7, 2005

  3. Thanks for the response, but there's 2 things... It was there for Windows XP
    right from the start. D-Link's Tech support site shows screen shot examples
    of it for XP SP1. Secondly, unfortunately, the utility that came with the
    card needs the Zero Wireless Configuration service to work properly.

    Is it possible to download the service?, or is there a list of files needed
    that I could copy from my other laptop?

    OR... is there some other wireless utility somewhere that I could download
    for free that I could use instead of the Windows utility or D-Link's?

    I'd be grateful for any further help.

    =?Utf-8?B?aGFycnktdQ==?=, Aug 7, 2005
  4. Barb Bowman MVP-Windows, Aug 7, 2005
  5. Someone else on another board gave me the answer I needed and everything now
    works...

    I needed a Start value of 2 in my registry entry for Wireless Network
    settings.

    Thanks anyway, but I'm now good.

    =?Utf-8?B?aGFycnktdQ==?=, Aug 7, 2005
  6. I'm having exactly the same problem you had. What exactly was the fix you
    made?

    =?Utf-8?B?V2luZU1rcg==?=, Aug 13, 2005
  7. Here's the answer that worked for me...

    Create a DWORD value named Start in the following registry key and set it to
    2.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Curr­entControlSet\Services\WZCSV

    Using regedit to get there and set it up.
    After I created the entry, the Wireless Zero Configuration service showed up
    in the services list and my Wireless PC Card worked fine.

    Good luck!

    =?Utf-8?B?aGFycnktdQ==?=, Aug 13, 2005
  8. I think I found a cleaner solution at:

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20040311.shtml

    =?Utf-8?B?V2luZU1rcg==?=, Aug 13, 2005
  9. You're right... it is a cleaner solution. I wish I had found that when I was
    hunting down the right answer.

    =?Utf-8?B?aGFycnktdQ==?=, Aug 13, 2005
  10. I had a similar situation where wireless zero service was not installed...
    this was great!!! looked all over the web for this simple answer... Thanks!!

    =?Utf-8?B?R3Jhbml0ZUd1eQ==?=, Sep 23, 2005