    what commands) and what settings to use to connect the port (baud,
    parity etc)

    Thanks all

    Nil Einne, May 23, 2004

  2. Nil Einne

    JohnO Guest

    "Nil Einne" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I've read that it might be possible to use the serial (RS232 / RS 232)
    > port on the Zenith Sky Decoder to navigate/change channels. I have set
    > up a home PVR and would really like to do this. Anyone have info on
    > how to do it (do I need a program or do I just send commands and if so
    > what commands) and what settings to use to connect the port (baud,
    > parity etc)
    >
    > Thanks all

    Where did you read that? I'd like to be able to do the same, but am under
    the impression that the only way to control the sky box is to send it IR
    commands.

    JohnO, May 23, 2004

  3. Nil Einne

    Divine Guest

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:13:39 +1200, JohnO wrote:

    > Where did you read that? I'd like to be able to do the same, but am under
    > the impression that the only way to control the sky box is to send it IR
    > commands.

    Then why provide a serial port in the first place (other than, of course,
    possibly attaching a dumb terminal)?

    Divine

    --
    The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
    but this old Queen wants a drink."

    Divine, May 23, 2004
  4. Nil Einne

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:19:43 +1200, Divine wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:13:39 +1200, JohnO wrote:
    >
    >> Where did you read that? I'd like to be able to do the same, but am under
    >> the impression that the only way to control the sky box is to send it IR
    >> commands.

    > Then why provide a serial port in the first place (other than, of course,
    > possibly attaching a dumb terminal)?
    >

    > Divine

    maybe for a software upgrade, reprogramming etc, i know some TVs use serial
    ports for this.

    -[Myth]-, May 23, 2004
  5. Nil Einne

    Pleb Plebian Guest

    "Nil Einne" <> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I've read that it might be possible to use the serial (RS232 / RS 232)
    > port on the Zenith Sky Decoder to navigate/change channels. I have set
    > up a home PVR and would really like to do this. Anyone have info on
    > how to do it (do I need a program or do I just send commands and if so
    > what commands) and what settings to use to connect the port (baud,
    > parity etc)
    >
    > Thanks all

    Try http://www.housebot.com/
    -and a remote repeater from jaycar: I've patched this to a WinLIRC IR
    receiver - and can do yr comment above without any internal hacking :)
    Worth a look, in any case
    -P

    Pleb Plebian, May 23, 2004
  6. Nil Einne

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "-[Myth]-" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:19:43 +1200, Divine wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:13:39 +1200, JohnO wrote:
    > >
    > >> Where did you read that? I'd like to be able to do the same, but am

    under
    > >> the impression that the only way to control the sky box is to send it

    IR
    > >> commands.

    > > Then why provide a serial port in the first place (other than, of

    course,
    > > possibly attaching a dumb terminal)?
    > >

    > > Divine

    > maybe for a software upgrade, reprogramming etc, i know some TVs use

    serial
    > ports for this.

    Most modern satellite receievers have serial ports for upgrading of the
    software. Skys is locked out to prevent fiddling.

    Craig Sutton, May 23, 2004
  7. Nil Einne

    Tim Guest

    it'd be great to use the serial port for this but not at a complete loss
    without it as others have mentioned. IR Blasting works well, we use them
    with Tivo units (the IR Blasters come pre-suplied). works fine for
    everything from vcr,sky digital decoder, saturn decoder, etc.

    Slight delay in changing channels (eg second or two) but if your not
    watching live tv it's pretty irrelevant..

    TiM

    Tim, May 24, 2004
  8. Nil Einne

    John Dyer Guest

    The RS232 port is used for diagnostic testing.
    When not used for this purpose it emits Channel ID
    information every few seconds.

    John Dyer, May 25, 2004
  9. Nil Einne

    Nil Einne Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in message news:<GaYrc.8842$>...
    > Where did you read that? I'd like to be able to do the same, but am under
    > the impression that the only way to control the sky box is to send it IR
    > commands.

    Do a search. Someone said they managed to get the serial port to do
    something on the Pace but not the Zenith...

    Nil Einne, May 25, 2004
  10. Nil Einne

    Nil Einne Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in message news:<GaYrc.8842$>...
    > Where did you read that? I'd like to be able to do the same, but am under
    > the impression that the only way to control the sky box is to send it IR
    > commands.

    Er.... Make that managed to get it to do something on the Zenith but not the Pace

    Nil Einne, May 25, 2004
  11. Nil Einne

    JohnO Guest

    > > Where did you read that? I'd like to be able to do the same, but am

    under
    > > the impression that the only way to control the sky box is to send it IR
    > > commands.

    > Er.... Make that managed to get it to do something on the Zenith but not

    the Pace

    I've googled sky zenith decoder serial port and similar keywords but just
    seem to get junk. Any idea on how to narrow the search?

    JohnO, May 26, 2004