    This is the lens they should use to test cameras. Nothing is really as good at the moment. I know that testing a (example) cheap Nikon D3300 with a $4000 lens might not make sense to some (since most who own that camera will never own that lens) but at least it would level the playing field and we'd see what a sensor is really capable of. If anyone remembers, the D90 came out after the D300 and it was a noticeable improvement in-terms of pure image quality, although you wouldn't see that except with very good lenses.

    Some enterprising test site could modify it (the Nikon unit) to adapt to all the major camera brands.

    http://www.zeiss.ca/camera-lenses/en_ca/camera_lenses/otus/otus1455.html

    RichA, Jun 17, 2014

  2. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Tuesday, 17 June 2014 04:30:07 UTC+1, RichA wrote:
    > This is the lens they should use to test cameras.

    Why ?
    I would have thought you should test a camera without a lens if it limits the camera in any way which it will.

    >Nothing is really as good at the moment.

    So unless you buy this lens you won't get the same results with any camera.

    I know that testing a (example) cheap Nikon D3300 with a $4000 lens might not make sense to some (since most who own that camera will never own that lens) but at least it would level the playing field and we'd see what a sensor is really capable of.

    No we'd see what it is capable of with that lens, with another lens it would be differnt so why test a camera sensor with any lens ?

    > If anyone remembers, the D90 came out after the D300 and it was a noticeable improvement in-terms of pure image quality, although you wouldn't see that except with very good lenses.

    How does a camera affect image quality, I can understand lens quality affecting it.

    > Some enterprising test site could modify it (the Nikon unit) to adapt to all the major camera brands.

    If it were me I'd build a test device a special device for testing standards.

    > http://www.zeiss.ca/camera-lenses/en_ca/camera_lenses/otus/otus1455.html

    What's the differnce between the ZE & ZF.2 ?

    and it looks as though you focus by turning the lenses in differnt directions.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 17, 2014