    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    http://www.karyn.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 2, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Hope Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Man they are a pain in the arse.
    >
    > I setup Gentoo the other day, compiled it all(~26 hrs) got it all setup
    > how I liked, well, functional, and while at lunch, the guy who "helped"
    > me get it all up and running, messed with it all, what a pain in the
    > fucking arse.
    >
    > Apparently I had chosen the wrong "Icon set", the wrong "colour scheme"
    > and a few other things... I stopped listening at that point.
    >
    > He just didn't seem to understand that icon sets and colour schemes just
    > dont matter to me, even when I showed him my windows desktop, he wanted
    > to change it, FFS, he deserved the beating I wanted to give him for
    > changing things.

    What an ass - how can you choose the wrong icon set or colour scheme if it's
    the one you like?

    Chris Hope, Nov 2, 2004

  3. Chris Hope wrote:
    >>Man they are a pain in the arse.
    >>Apparently I had chosen the wrong "Icon set", the wrong "colour scheme"
    >>and a few other things... I stopped listening at that point.

    > What an ass - how can you choose the wrong icon set or colour scheme if it's
    > the one you like?

    the funny thing is, I dont like it, or the one he chose, but it'll do
    untill I find a better one or figure out how to change it to something else.
    they're only icons, Mr high and fucking mighty... gah, I need to relax.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 2, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Hope Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >>>Man they are a pain in the arse.
    >>>Apparently I had chosen the wrong "Icon set", the wrong "colour scheme"
    >>>and a few other things... I stopped listening at that point.

    >> What an ass - how can you choose the wrong icon set or colour scheme if
    >> it's the one you like?

    > the funny thing is, I dont like it, or the one he chose, but it'll do
    > untill I find a better one or figure out how to change it to something
    > else. they're only icons, Mr high and fucking mighty... gah, I need to
    > relax.

    I like the Plastik theme in KDE myself. If you want to play around with them
    go to "Control Center" from the K-menu and open up the "Appearance and
    Themes" option; the ones you want to play with are under "Style" and
    "Window Decorations". You can mess around with the "Theme Manager" as well
    but I've bother trying that out. There aren't too many themes installed
    with Gentoo but you can at least have a play around with them.

    Chris Hope, Nov 2, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 15:31:56 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Man they are a pain in the arse.

    He's probably a member of a militant feng shui fundamentalist group.

    Your icons were probably disrupting his energy flow.

    Better make sure the furniture is still where you left it, but don't
    annoy him - he might subtly rearrange the furniture to drain your bank
    account and leave you impotent ;)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 2, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Rider Guest

    > Man they are a pain in the arse.
    >
    > I setup Gentoo the other day, compiled it all(~26 hrs) got it all setup
    > how I liked, well, functional, and while at lunch, the guy who "helped" me
    > get it all up and running, messed with it all, what a pain in the fucking
    > arse.
    >
    > Apparently I had chosen the wrong "Icon set", the wrong "colour scheme"
    > and a few other things... I stopped listening at that point.
    >
    > He just didn't seem to understand that icon sets and colour schemes just
    > dont matter to me, even when I showed him my windows desktop, he wanted to
    > change it, FFS, he deserved the beating I wanted to give him for changing
    > things.
    >
    > /rant

    Were you not aware that different colours and the icon set completely change
    the way the system operates? Did he call you a n00b as well? LoL

    Rider, Nov 2, 2004
  7. Rider wrote:
    > Were you not aware that different colours and the icon set completely change
    > the way the system operates?

    I assume you're joking, god I hope you're joking, tell me you're joking.

    > Did he call you a n00b as well? LoL

    nah, Im bigger than him, he sat down and did work related work rather
    than pissing about with my machine.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 2, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Rider Guest

    > Rider wrote:
    >> Were you not aware that different colours and the icon set completely
    >> change the way the system operates?

    > I assume you're joking, god I hope you're joking, tell me you're joking.
    >
    >> Did he call you a n00b as well? LoL

    > nah, Im bigger than him, he sat down and did work related work rather than
    > pissing about with my machine.

    I had someone fiddle with my pc at work a few years ago. So while he was out
    one day I took a screenshot of his desktop, then made it his wallpaper and
    deleted all his icons. Took him ages to figure out why none of his programs
    would work :)

    Rider

    Rider, Nov 2, 2004
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 2/11/2004 15:31:
    > Man they are a pain in the arse.
    >
    > I setup Gentoo the other day, compiled it all(~26 hrs) got it all setup
    > how I liked, well, functional, and while at lunch, the guy who "helped"
    > me get it all up and running, messed with it all, what a pain in the
    > fucking arse.
    >
    > Apparently I had chosen the wrong "Icon set", the wrong "colour scheme"
    > and a few other things... I stopped listening at that point.
    >
    > He just didn't seem to understand that icon sets and colour schemes just
    > dont matter to me, even when I showed him my windows desktop, he wanted
    > to change it, FFS, he deserved the beating I wanted to give him for
    > changing things.
    >
    > /rant

    Three letters PFY :cool:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/29/bofh_2004_episode_37/

    --
    RIP Harry no more posts from NIN

    Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |

    Collector»NZ, Nov 2, 2004
  10. In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    >Rider wrote:
    >> Were you not aware that different colours and the icon set completely change
    >> the way the system operates?

    >I assume you're joking, god I hope you're joking, tell me you're joking.
    >
    >> Did he call you a n00b as well? LoL

    >nah, Im bigger than him, he sat down and did work related work rather
    >than pissing about with my machine.

    My feeling is you need a new helper. The look/feel is (as you know :) ) very
    personal. If he didn't likeit, well tuff. Not his machine :)

    Bruce

    ------------------------------
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
    dying of nothing.

    -Redd Foxx

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 2, 2004
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Paul Guest

    On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 16:35:10 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> Rider wrote:
    >>> Were you not aware that different colours and the icon set completely
    >>> change the way the system operates?

    >> I assume you're joking, god I hope you're joking, tell me you're joking.
    >>
    >>> Did he call you a n00b as well? LoL

    >> nah, Im bigger than him, he sat down and did work related work rather than
    >> pissing about with my machine.
    >>

    >I had someone fiddle with my pc at work a few years ago. So while he was out
    >one day I took a screenshot of his desktop, then made it his wallpaper and
    >deleted all his icons. Took him ages to figure out why none of his programs
    >would work :)
    >
    >Rider

    LMAO.... nice....

    There's one for work tomorrow....

    Paul, Nov 2, 2004
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    David Preece Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Apparently I had chosen the wrong "Icon set", the wrong "colour scheme"
    > and a few other things... I stopped listening at that point.

    He's not a Zealot, he's a pain in the arse.

    Dave

    David Preece, Nov 2, 2004
  13. David Preece wrote:
    >> Apparently I had chosen the wrong "Icon set", the wrong "colour
    >> scheme" and a few other things... I stopped listening at that point.

    > He's not a Zealot, he's a pain in the arse.

    you got that right.
    he's in the process of getting himself fired anyway... at least from
    what I have heard around work.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 2, 2004
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > He just didn't seem to understand that icon sets and colour schemes just
    > dont matter to me, even when I showed him my windows desktop, he wanted
    > to change it, FFS, he deserved the beating I wanted to give him for
    > changing things.

    ......and fair enough, too.

    Hope you told him to keep his hands to himself...and his own PC(s).

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home

    steve, Nov 2, 2004
  15. In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    >David Preece wrote:
    >>> Apparently I had chosen the wrong "Icon set", the wrong "colour
    >>> scheme" and a few other things... I stopped listening at that point.

    >> He's not a Zealot, he's a pain in the arse.

    >you got that right.
    >he's in the process of getting himself fired anyway... at least from
    >what I have heard around work.

    If he has anything to do with customers (of any description) this is
    probably a good thing. Failure to listen should be a capital offence IMO of
    course :)

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 2, 2004