    it's meant for the PC and so has a small range. Does anyone know of a
    camera that can calculate depth over larger distances? Say up to 100m?

    Richard

    Richard, Oct 3, 2008

  2. Richard

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Deep Reset wrote:

    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> Have you heard of the ZCam? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZCam
    >> It uses infrared to give you depth data alongside the video feed. But
    >> it's meant for the PC and so has a small range. Does anyone know of a
    >> camera that can calculate depth over larger distances? Say up to 100m?
    >>
    >> Richard

    > There was a Z camera exhibited at IBC in around 1999-2000 by one of the
    > Japanese mfrs, IIRC
    > Hitachi, maybe, though I doubt it was capable of much more than studio
    > distances.
    >
    > Sick LASER rangefinder?
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Deep.

    There are/have been a number of active-illumination cameras that do
    this, some laser, some flashtube. It takes a LOT of computer power and
    these things are not cheap. The image tube used has to be VERY fast,
    some sort of gated tube. Many of them take a different depth slice each
    flash, so are not usable if there is much movement in the scene.

    Don Stauffer, Oct 4, 2008

  3. Richard

    dj_nme Guest

    Don Stauffer wrote:
    > Deep Reset wrote:
    >>
    >> "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >>> Have you heard of the ZCam? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZCam
    >>> It uses infrared to give you depth data alongside the video feed. But
    >>> it's meant for the PC and so has a small range. Does anyone know of a
    >>> camera that can calculate depth over larger distances? Say up to 100m?
    >>>
    >>> Richard

    >> There was a Z camera exhibited at IBC in around 1999-2000 by one of
    >> the Japanese mfrs, IIRC
    >> Hitachi, maybe, though I doubt it was capable of much more than studio
    >> distances.
    >>
    >> Sick LASER rangefinder?
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> Deep.

    > There are/have been a number of active-illumination cameras that do
    > this, some laser, some flashtube. It takes a LOT of computer power and
    > these things are not cheap. The image tube used has to be VERY fast,
    > some sort of gated tube. Many of them take a different depth slice each
    > flash, so are not usable if there is much movement in the scene.

    The same sort of idea was thought of for analogue TV.
    http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/10/03/television-in-three-dimensions/
    There isn't really much that is actually new.

    dj_nme, Oct 4, 2008
  4. Richard

    Matt Ion Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Have you heard of the ZCam? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZCam
    > It uses infrared to give you depth data alongside the video feed. But
    > it's meant for the PC and so has a small range. Does anyone know of a
    > camera that can calculate depth over larger distances? Say up to 100m?
    >
    > Richard

    Am I the only one who thinks this post is spam? It links to a Wikipedia
    article that reads like ad copy.

    Matt Ion, Oct 5, 2008
  5. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On Oct 4, 5:02 am, "Deep Reset" <> wrote:
    > "Richard" <> wrote in message

    > > Have you heard of the ZCam?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZCam
    > > It uses infrared to give you depth data alongside the video feed. But
    > > it's meant for the PC and so has a small range. Does anyone know of a
    > > camera that can calculate depth over larger distances? Say up to 100m?

    > > Richard

    > There was a Z camera exhibited at IBC in around 1999-2000 by one of the
    > Japanese mfrs, IIRC
    > Hitachi, maybe, though I doubt it was capable of much more than studio
    > distances.
    >
    > Sick LASER rangefinder?
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Deep.

    that looks promising:
    http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/etit/proaut/3d_laser_range_finder.99.html

    thanks Deep

    Richard, Oct 10, 2008
  6. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On Oct 5, 12:53 pm, Matt Ion <> wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    > > Have you heard of the ZCam?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZCam
    > > It uses infrared to give you depth data alongside the video feed. But
    > > it's meant for the PC and so has a small range. Does anyone know of a
    > > camera that can calculate depth over larger distances? Say up to 100m?

    > > Richard

    > Am I the only one who thinks this post is spam?  It links to a Wikipedia
    > article that reads like ad copy.

    haha, sorry about that. I would have linked to the review I read but
    the wikipedia article was more succinct.

    Richard, Oct 10, 2008