yyy

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by narindertony.madahar, Jan 16, 2004.

  1. From: "Tergiversative" <>
    Subject: Re: admin problems
    Date: 16 January 2004 14:29

    LO&MsLO wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:08:50 -0600, LO&MsLO <>
    > wrote:
    >>On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 00:52:51 -0800, Tergiversative
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying; the error message is, to say the
    >>>most, misleading, but if you had said "I'm trying to install (or

    upgrade,
    >>>whatever) Norton and getting this error" or similar, it would have been
    >>>easier to diagnose & resolve. ("I hilite NAV and then right click log on
    >>>with password as administrator." was not understandable in terms of what
    >>>you were trying to do.)

    >>>There's always an Administrator, anyway ... but IAC it is a good idea to
    >>>NOT run as an Administrator day-to-day, as just that little step will

    help
    >>>protect you from both exploits and inadvertent-but-serious mistakes.

    >>>What version do you have? There's a different utility for each version.
    >>>
    >>>Here is the NAV 2003 version, for example:
    >>>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606
    >>>
    >>>It has links also to the tools for some of the other versions. Part of
    >>>the problem is that registry cleaning is required, and also that there

    can
    >>>be entries under Intel & not just Symantec.
    >>>
    >>>Hope that helps you get to the right place, anyway.
    >>>
    >>>-- DE

    >>Close. NSW 2002 was the incomplete install that is stopping NAV from
    >>installing. Still looking for the uninstall for NSW 2002.
    >>Thanks

    > Never mind. I give up. I followed all manual instructions istarting
    > with the .exe file that 'should' take care of it. No luck. Then did a
    > manual edit of the regiestry per instructions for NSW and NU..just in
    > case. Still no luck. They are leaving something out.
    >
    > Time for a new virus program I guess
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    Did you check under "Intel" too? That's usually where the unexpected
    registry entries are.

    And you worked from this? --
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/2001100212100807?OpenDocu
    ment&ExpandSection=1#_Section1

    and first made sure you'd removed, in Windows, NAV and SystemWorks and
    LiveUpdate and LiveReg -- all 4 -- from Control Panel Add/Remove?

    And you then ran SymClean (NOT RNAV2003)?
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/2001101612274407
    (And you noticed " NSW is not intended to be installed over the older
    versions of NSW. If you encounter problems while installing NSW, the
    problems may be due to an incomplete uninstall of the previous version.")

    That all usually works, though. And you logged in as the Administrator to
    do all this, and rebooted, and logged back in as Administrator & then
    tried the new install?

    The only other bit that sometimes happens here is if there's bad info in
    the windows installer (MSI) registry entries; however, my understanding
    was that SymClean would clean that up too.

    -- DE

    narindertony.madahar, Jan 16, 2004

  2. narindertony.madahar

    trout Guest

    narindertony.madahar wrote:

    > From: "Tergiversative" <>
    > Subject: Re: admin problems
    > Date: 16 January 2004 14:29

    <snip>
    >> Never mind. I give up. I followed all manual instructions istarting
    >> with the .exe file that 'should' take care of it. No luck. Then did
    >> a manual edit of the regiestry per instructions for NSW and NU..just
    >> in case. Still no luck. They are leaving something out.
    >>
    >> Time for a new virus program I guess
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> John

    > Did you check under "Intel" too? That's usually where the unexpected
    > registry entries are.

    <snip>

    'Why' in the world did you change the subject line for this?
    --
    "It's now in its own thread looking lost and confused."

    trout, Jan 16, 2004