yup, Canon is gonna play hardball...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jim Waggener, Dec 18, 2003.

  1. Jim Waggener

    Jim Waggener Guest

    Jim Waggener, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Jim Waggener

    Annika1980 Guest

    Annika1980, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Jim Waggener

    Jim Waggener Guest

    > "Canon Plans to Roll Out Nearly 20 New Compact Digital Cameras"
    >
    > That's a coincidence.
    > That's how many Sigma hopes to sell.

    you are a cruel cruel man ;-)

    Jim Waggener, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Jim Waggener

    IK Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >From: "Jim Waggener"

    > >Interesting article at DPreview:
    > >
    > >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0312/03121801canons20newcamera.asp

    > "Canon Plans to Roll Out Nearly 20 New Compact Digital Cameras"
    >
    > That's a coincidence.
    > That's how many Sigma hopes to sell.

    But thanks to the X3 technology, it will be like selling 60 cameras.
    IK, Dec 18, 2003
  5. Jim Waggener

    Tom Guest

    "IK" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > >From: "Jim Waggener"

    > > >Interesting article at DPreview:
    > > >
    > > >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0312/03121801canons20newcamera.asp

    > > "Canon Plans to Roll Out Nearly 20 New Compact Digital Cameras"
    > >
    > > That's a coincidence.
    > > That's how many Sigma hopes to sell.

    > But thanks to the X3 technology, it will be like selling 60 cameras.

    No THAT is funny!

    Tom
    Tom, Dec 18, 2003
  6. Jim Waggener

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    In another section of DPreview they state that in 2004 other manufacturers
    intend to come out with anti shake CCDs (just line the Minolta A1).

    Copying is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Dec 18, 2003
  7. Jim Waggener

    Tony Rice Guest

    (Annika1980) wrote in news:20031218173116.29517.00000477
    @mb-m02.aol.com:

    > "Canon Plans to Roll Out Nearly 20 New Compact Digital Cameras"

    Brilliant, introduce more confusion into an already crowded consumer
    market.
    Tony Rice, Dec 19, 2003
  8. Jim Waggener

    Jim Waggener Guest

    "
    > Brilliant, introduce more confusion into an already crowded consumer
    > market.

    Must be 20 different price points then eh?

    Jim Waggener, Dec 19, 2003
  9. Jim Waggener

    Larry Lynch Guest

    In article <HlqEb.425545$ao4.1359753@attbi_s51>,
    says...

    > "IK" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > > > "Canon Plans to Roll Out Nearly 20 New Compact Digital Cameras"
    > > >
    > > > That's a coincidence.
    > > > That's how many Sigma hopes to sell.

    > > But thanks to the X3 technology, it will be like selling 60 cameras.

    > No THAT is funny!
    >
    > Tom

    Which one of you guys is gonna clean the coffee offa my
    keyboard?????

    THAT made me SPEW COFFEE!!
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Lasting Imagery
    Larry Lynch, Dec 19, 2003
  10. Jim Waggener

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <Xns9455CC036CE80jkl123iop@216.196.97.138>,
    says...
    > (Annika1980) wrote in news:20031218173116.29517.00000477
    > @mb-m02.aol.com:
    >
    > > "Canon Plans to Roll Out Nearly 20 New Compact Digital Cameras"

    > Brilliant, introduce more confusion into an already crowded consumer
    > market.

    Yeah, let's just stop technology from progressing because things are too
    confusing.

    --
    __________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Dec 19, 2003
  11. Jim Waggener

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Tony Rice wrote:
    > (Annika1980) wrote in
    > news:20031218173116.29517.00000477 @mb-m02.aol.com:
    >
    >> "Canon Plans to Roll Out Nearly 20 New Compact Digital Cameras"

    > Brilliant, introduce more confusion into an already crowded consumer
    > market.

    Well, in line with the old adage: "if you can't convince them, confuse
    them."
    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 19, 2003
  12. On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 10:26:50 GMT, "Paolo Pizzi"
    <> wrote:

    >> Brilliant, introduce more confusion into an already crowded consumer
    >> market.

    >Well, in line with the old adage: "if you can't convince them, confuse
    >them."

    Bring on the confusion! Digicam market is moving too slow for my
    liking. By the time I upgrade I want major shortcomings addressed and
    I want them at lower price points. More choice is good, and Canon have
    always been pretty innovative with cameras.
    ThermosBoy (TM), Dec 19, 2003
  13. > In another section of DPreview they state that in 2004 other
    manufacturers
    > intend to come out with anti shake CCDs (just line the Minolta A1).
    >
    > Copying is the sincerest form of flattery.
    > Rosita

    ... or maybe they are just going to buy from the same place Minolta does?

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 19, 2003
  14. Jim Waggener

    Charlie Self Guest

    David Taylor responds:

    >> In another section of DPreview they state that in 2004 other

    >manufacturers
    >> intend to come out with anti shake CCDs (just line the Minolta A1).
    >>
    >> Copying is the sincerest form of flattery.
    >> Rosita

    >.. or maybe they are just going to buy from the same place Minolta does?

    And doing it a year later makes it something other than copying?

    Charlie Self

    "Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
    Alexander Hamilton

    Charlie Self, Dec 19, 2003
  15. Jim Waggener

    Tony Rice Guest

    Todd Walker <> wrote in

    > Yeah, let's just stop technology from progressing because things are too
    > confusing.

    You are assuming that there will be technological differentiation between
    those 20 models. I just dont that as very likely.

    I just hope that differentiation isn't a choice of fruity colors.
    Tony Rice, Dec 20, 2003
  16. Paolo Pizzi wrote:

    > Tony Rice wrote:
    > > (Annika1980) wrote in
    > > news:20031218173116.29517.00000477 @mb-m02.aol.com:
    > >
    > >> "Canon Plans to Roll Out Nearly 20 New Compact Digital Cameras"

    > > Brilliant, introduce more confusion into an already crowded consumer
    > > market.

    > Well, in line with the old adage: "if you can't convince them, confuse
    > them."

    I believe that's, " If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them
    with Bullshit".
    And, "old adage" is redundant. An adage IS an old statement.
    Merry Christmas :)
    Reginald Beckwith, Dec 20, 2003
  17. Tony Rice <> writes:

    >You are assuming that there will be technological differentiation between
    >those 20 models. I just dont that as very likely.

    Canon has several lines of cameras now, and that's likely to continue.
    Each has its own relatively distinct set of features. There are the
    professional SLRs (1Ds), prosumer SLRs (300D, 10D), tiny CF (S400),
    tiny SD (SD10, SD100), low end non-zoom (A300), lower cost zoom
    (A70, A80), more sophisticated zoom (S45, S50), high end zoom P&S
    (G3, G5), and probably some I've forgotten. New cameras in most of
    those series at perhaps 2 different resolutions would make up most
    of the predicted 20 new models.

    >I just hope that differentiation isn't a choice of fruity colors.

    Already done: the SD10. But I doubt if they counted that as multiple
    models.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Dec 20, 2003
  18. Jim Waggener

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Reginald Beckwith wrote:

    > Paolo Pizzi wrote:
    >
    >>Tony Rice wrote:
    >>
    >>> (Annika1980) wrote in
    >>>news:20031218173116.29517.00000477 @mb-m02.aol.com:

    >>>Brilliant, introduce more confusion into an already crowded consumer
    >>>market.

    >>Well, in line with the old adage: "if you can't convince them, confuse
    >>them."

    > I believe that's, " If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them
    > with Bullshit".
    > And, "old adage" is redundant. An adage IS an old statement.
    > Merry Christmas :)

    If you can't dazzle them with brillance, or fascinate them with fancy
    footwork, blind them with BS....
    To get the whole thing straight.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 20, 2003