    good for the story.
    Just wondering.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, May 30, 2009

  2. Geopelia

    Me Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > Computers in TV programs usually say "You've Got Mail". What program are
    > they using? It's usually on a laptop.
    > Is it this new Vista?
    > I've got XP, and an envelope just appears on the tray. That might not be so
    > good for the story.
    > Just wondering.
    >
    > Geopelia

    You were watching TV last night - right?
    From wikipedia:
    "The name of the film is an example of product placement, based on the
    trademark greeting that AOL users hear when they receive new e-mail."

    Me, May 31, 2009

  3. Geopelia

    Matty F Guest

    On May 31, 12:53 am, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    > Computers in TV programs usually say "You've Got Mail". What program are
    > they using? It's usually on a laptop.
    > Is it this new Vista?
    > I've got XP, and an envelope just appears on the tray. That might not be so
    > good for the story.

    My email program Eudora makes a noise. I could probably change that
    noise to make it say anything. But I'll turn the noise off since I
    don't need it.
    TV and movies almost always show fake screens. Sometimes the letters
    appear slowly with a Teletype noise. Searches take an instant and come
    up with one result. People can try many passwords without the system
    locking them out.
    Movie computers don't come up with the Blue Screen of Death.

    Matty F, May 31, 2009
  4. On Sat, 30 May 2009 16:03:12 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

    > On May 31, 12:53 am, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >> Computers in TV programs usually say "You've Got Mail". What program are
    >> they using? It's usually on a laptop.
    >> Is it this new Vista?
    >> I've got XP, and an envelope just appears on the tray. That might not be so
    >> good for the story.

    > My email program Eudora makes a noise. I could probably change that
    > noise to make it say anything. But I'll turn the noise off since I
    > don't need it.
    > TV and movies almost always show fake screens. Sometimes the letters
    > appear slowly with a Teletype noise. Searches take an instant and come
    > up with one result. People can try many passwords without the system
    > locking them out.
    > Movie computers don't come up with the Blue Screen of Death.

    I love the delete/erase function on movie computers you press and it erases
    your text 1 letter at a time backwards through your text.

    one thing i saw a couple of weeks ago was "red planet"
    the internet Movie Database notes that The Mars 1 main computer "Lucille"
    is one of the first "computer" characters in the history of science fiction
    films to have a realistic voice that is entirely computer generated. The
    experimental voice synthesizer software was provided by AT&T Bell Labs.

    Robin Halligan, May 31, 2009
  5. In message <88424cc2-eba6-4b48-a475-

    <http://www.google.com/search?q=hollywoodos+-casting>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 31, 2009
  6. In message <gvra9d$vjn$-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:

    > Computers in TV programs usually say "You've Got Mail". What program are
    > they using? It's usually on a laptop.

    Outlook Express (at least on the Mac) has always had the ability to choose a
    set of sounds to be played for various actions/events, like new mail coming
    in, or mail being sent out.

    A male voice excitedly proclaiming "You've got mail!" was part of the
    standard sounds that came with the AppleLink software many years ago. I
    believe that system had some origins in common with AOL, which seems to be
    where the expression was most commonly associated.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 31, 2009
  7. Geopelia

    Max Burke Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > Computers in TV programs usually say "You've Got Mail". What program are
    > they using? It's usually on a laptop.
    > Is it this new Vista?
    > I've got XP, and an envelope just appears on the tray. That might not be so
    > good for the story.
    > Just wondering.
    > Geopelia

    This is for XP (all versions, and older versions of Windows. Dont know
    about Vista)

    You can assign sound files (Wave files) to lots of events in Windows.

    Here's how:

    Windows stores default sound files in it's \windows\media directory.
    (but they can be in any directory)
    You can put your own sound files in there, as long as they're WAV format
    files.

    Once you have the sound files in the directory:

    Open the Control Panel

    Click on the Sounds and Audio devices icon (speaker icon)
    In the Sound and Audio Device properties window, select the sounds tab

    In the Program Events, select the event you want to add your sound to.
    Click the Browse button and the Media directory will open and list all
    the sound files for you to chose from.

    select the sound you want by double clicking on it.

    Once you have linked the sounds to the events like getting mail in your
    in box, you can save it as your own sound scheme.

    It's sounds complicated to do, but it's really easy once you have done
    it once or twice. And you cant break anything by trying different sounds
    and sound schemes...

    In my current sound scheme I have Barbara Eden (from I Dream of Genie)
    Saying "Master, I have Mail for you!" whenever an email arrives in my in
    box.

    For my Windows shut down sound I recorded from the first Aliens movie
    the ship announcing "The emergency destruct system is now activated"
    warning.

    When I empty the recycle bin I have Meg Ryan shouting "OH MY GOD!!!!"

    I tried some John Cleese Sounds bytes from Fawlty Towers once, they were
    very funny to start with, but got very annoying, very quickly.

    I have been using variations of this sound scheme on my various
    computers from right back when I used Windows 95.

    It's a shame that Ubuntu doesn't have any way of programming sounds to
    events like Windows does.

    But that's for a separate discussion. ;-)

    Found Images

    Max Burke, May 31, 2009
  8. On Sun, 31 May 2009 00:53:56 +1200, "Geopelia" <> wrote:

    >Computers in TV programs usually say "You've Got Mail". What program are
    >they using? It's usually on a laptop.
    >Is it this new Vista?
    >I've got XP, and an envelope just appears on the tray. That might not be so
    >good for the story.
    >Just wondering.
    >
    >Geopelia

    AOL.
    Automatically sounds when incoming mail available - desktop or laptop just as long as you'r an AOL
    customer.
    I still have AOL mail but haven't tried leaving it open to see if it still happens!

    Was a very handy feature which I wish other programs had!

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., May 31, 2009
  9. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    > It's a shame that Ubuntu doesn't have any way of programming sounds to
    > events like Windows does.

    It does. System Preferences -> Sounds -> Sounds Tab.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 31, 2009
  10. Geopelia

    victor Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    > In my current sound scheme I have Barbara Eden (from I Dream of Genie)
    > Saying "Master, I have Mail for you!" whenever an email arrives in my in
    > box.
    >
    > For my Windows shut down sound I recorded from the first Aliens movie
    > the ship announcing "The emergency destruct system is now activated"
    > warning.
    >
    > When I empty the recycle bin I have Meg Ryan shouting "OH MY GOD!!!!"

    I bet you have a really fucking lame ringtone too.

    victor, May 31, 2009
  11. Geopelia

    Max Burke Guest

    victor wrote:
    > Max Burke wrote:
    >

    >> In my current sound scheme I have Barbara Eden (from I Dream of Genie)
    >> Saying "Master, I have Mail for you!" whenever an email arrives in my
    >> in box.
    >>
    >> For my Windows shut down sound I recorded from the first Aliens movie
    >> the ship announcing "The emergency destruct system is now activated"
    >> warning.
    >>
    >> When I empty the recycle bin I have Meg Ryan shouting "OH MY GOD!!!!"
    >>

    > I bet you have a really fucking lame ringtone too.

    What's a ringtone???

    Oh you mean cellphone ringtones?

    Dont want a cellphone. Dont need a cellphone. Dont own a cellphone.
    Never have and never will.

    Anyone wants to call me, call me when I'm home, leave a message on my
    land line voice mail, or come and see me in person.

    ;-)

    Found Images

    Max Burke, May 31, 2009
  12. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Max Burke wrote:
    [snip]
    > In my current sound scheme I have Barbara Eden (from I Dream of Genie)
    > Saying "Master, I have Mail for you!" whenever an email arrives in my
    > in box.
    >
    > For my Windows shut down sound I recorded from the first Aliens movie
    > the ship announcing "The emergency destruct system is now activated"
    > warning.
    >
    > When I empty the recycle bin I have Meg Ryan shouting "OH MY GOD!!!!"
    >
    > I tried some John Cleese Sounds bytes from Fawlty Towers once, they
    > were very funny to start with, but got very annoying, very quickly.
    >
    > I have been using variations of this sound scheme on my various
    > computers from right back when I used Windows 95.

    I used to do that too, have had various sounds for various things over the
    years but gave it up a while back. The most enduring one was replacing the
    Windows "wrong" sounds with the first word from the Pixies song "Hey". I
    used that over a few installs.

    My cell phone used to play "Jesus I Was Evil" for a ringtone as a tribute to
    the late Darcy Clay. However I gave up on that phone, it's back in it's box
    and I'm using my old Nokia (vanilla) 1100 again.

    My landline answering machine has the answer machine message from Laurie
    Anderson's "O Superman".

    What an idiot.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 31, 2009
  13. On Sun, 31 May 2009 17:38:20 +1200, victor <> wrote in

    > Max Burke wrote:
    >

    >> In my current sound scheme I have Barbara Eden (from I Dream of Genie)
    >> Saying "Master, I have Mail for you!" whenever an email arrives in my in
    >> box.
    >>
    >> For my Windows shut down sound I recorded from the first Aliens movie
    >> the ship announcing "The emergency destruct system is now activated"
    >> warning.
    >>
    >> When I empty the recycle bin I have Meg Ryan shouting "OH MY GOD!!!!"
    >>

    > I bet you have a really fucking lame ringtone too.

    That would probably depend on what he had been eating.

    --
    - Nicolaas

    Nicolaas Hawkins, May 31, 2009
  14. Geopelia

    AD. Guest

    On May 31, 5:18 pm, Max Burke <> wrote:
    > In my current sound scheme I have Barbara Eden (from I Dream of Genie)
    > Saying "Master, I have Mail for you!" whenever an email arrives in my in
    > box.

    Gah! - I used to work with someone who had the exact same thing on
    their machine. Drove me nuts.

    Back in the Windows 3.11 days I did have Rage Against the Machine
    yelling "F*ck you I won't do what you tell me!" for system errors. I
    got rid of it though - system errors were pretty common back then :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., May 31, 2009
  15. Geopelia

    victor Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > Computers in TV programs usually say "You've Got Mail". What program are
    > they using? It's usually on a laptop.
    > Is it this new Vista?
    > I've got XP, and an envelope just appears on the tray. That might not be so
    > good for the story.
    > Just wondering.
    >
    > Geopelia

    If you like that sort of thing you can add it into your sound scheme.
    Lots to choose from
    http://www.ilovewavs.com/Events/GotMail/GotMail.htm

    victor, May 31, 2009
  16. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Thanks to all, the TV programs must have AOL. Their screen looks different,
    too.

    I get a lot of noises as it starts up and connects to xtra, and various
    pings and squeaks as I work.
    I don't want my computer shouting "you've got mail" or the bird would pick
    it up and keep repeating it!

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, May 31, 2009
  17. In message <gvtpf1$rpv$-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:

    > I get a lot of noises as it starts up and connects to xtra, and various
    > pings and squeaks as I work.

    The modem speaker is usually enabled during the initial connection phase
    (beeps at various pitches, ending with a loud hiss), but once it's trained
    to the data stream, it should go silent. I assume those "various pings and
    squeaks" are not signs of wildlife taking up residence in your circuit
    boards. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 31, 2009
  18. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <gvtpf1$rpv$-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> I get a lot of noises as it starts up and connects to xtra, and various
    >> pings and squeaks as I work.

    > The modem speaker is usually enabled during the initial connection phase
    > (beeps at various pitches, ending with a loud hiss), but once it's trained
    > to the data stream, it should go silent. I assume those "various pings and
    > squeaks" are not signs of wildlife taking up residence in your circuit
    > boards. :)

    I had a resident spider in my last keyboard. He didn't seem to do any harm.

    The bird likes to jump on this keyboard while I type. He usually brings up a
    help menu!

    Geopelia, May 31, 2009
  19. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    > victor wrote:
    >> Max Burke wrote:
    >>

    >>> In my current sound scheme I have Barbara Eden (from I Dream of Genie)
    >>> Saying "Master, I have Mail for you!" whenever an email arrives in my
    >>> in box.
    >>>
    >>> For my Windows shut down sound I recorded from the first Aliens movie
    >>> the ship announcing "The emergency destruct system is now activated"
    >>> warning.
    >>>
    >>> When I empty the recycle bin I have Meg Ryan shouting "OH MY GOD!!!!"
    >>>

    >> I bet you have a really fucking lame ringtone too.

    > What's a ringtone???
    >
    > Oh you mean cellphone ringtones?
    >
    > Dont want a cellphone. Dont need a cellphone. Dont own a cellphone.
    > Never have and never will.
    >
    > Anyone wants to call me, call me when I'm home, leave a message on my
    > land line voice mail, or come and see me in person.

    Nobody will because they've all got cellphone. When Telecom circuits go
    digital there won't be a way of *having* a 'land line', probably.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 31, 2009
  20. Geopelia

    Bryce Utting Guest

    ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > My landline answering machine has the answer machine message from Laurie
    > Anderson's "O Superman".

    I did that too -- "Hi -- I'm not home right now, but if you want to
    leave a message, just start talking at the sound of the tone."

    the very first message left on it? was from me mum.

    butting

    --
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~butting
    'Tis the fell work of the international floating-head-missile-zombie-

    Bryce Utting, Jun 1, 2009