    serve and the behavior I'm seeing is what happens when the page loads
    but whatever's supposed to happen next just doesn't.

    -S-
    Steve Freides, Jul 21, 2009

  2. Steve Freides

    larrylaundry Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:
    > Curious if anyone knows if the reasons might be local to my machine or
    > if it's just YouTube.
    >
    > Sometimes I will go to a YouTube video and it will bring up the page but
    > no hourglass to indicate it's doing something and, in fact, it does
    > absolutely nothing. I can let that page sit there for a few minutes and
    > nothing ever happens.
    >
    > However, if I hit the reload button on my browser, it will sometimes
    > work just fine - and sometimes still just sit there, but after two or
    > three tries, it will run.
    >
    > This is relatively recent behavior, perhaps the last few weeks.
    >
    > It doesn't matter what video it is - popular videos, videos that have
    > very few hits, and everything in between. I can find no explanation
    > other than that YouTube may just be getting more requests than it can
    > serve and the behavior I'm seeing is what happens when the page loads
    > but whatever's supposed to happen next just doesn't.
    >
    > -S-

    Try clearing your cache, maybe also increase cache size. Seems to work
    for me.
    larrylaundry, Jul 22, 2009

  3. "§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    > In message <>, "Steve Freides"
    > wrote:
    >> Curious if anyone knows if the reasons might be local to my machine
    >> or
    >> if it's just YouTube.
    >>
    >> Sometimes I will go to a YouTube video and it will bring up the page
    >> but
    >> no hourglass to indicate it's doing something and, in fact, it does
    >> absolutely nothing. I can let that page sit there for a few minutes
    >> and
    >> nothing ever happens.
    >>
    >> However, if I hit the reload button on my browser, it will sometimes
    >> work just fine - and sometimes still just sit there, but after two or
    >> three tries, it will run.
    >>
    >> This is relatively recent behavior, perhaps the last few weeks.
    >>
    >> It doesn't matter what video it is - popular videos, videos that have
    >> very few hits, and everything in between. I can find no explanation
    >> other than that YouTube may just be getting more requests than it can
    >> serve and the behavior I'm seeing is what happens when the page loads
    >> but whatever's supposed to happen next just doesn't.
    >>
    >> -S-
    >>

    > Essential info you neglect to include:
    > Your ISP
    > Your Browser
    > Your OS
    > How you connect to the net

    ISP = Verizon (FIOS)
    Browser = Chrome
    OS = Windows XP/Pro/SP3/patches

    How I connect to the net - via my ISP. :)

    Funny, but YouTube says its down for maintenance, first time I've
    encountered that. Maybe they read my message.

    Larry, will try clearing cache via the option to do so in Chrome, don't
    know how to increase cache size.

    -S-
    Steve Freides, Jul 22, 2009
  4. Steve Freides <> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<>:

    >"§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    >> In message <>, "Steve Freides"
    >> wrote:
    >>> Curious if anyone knows if the reasons might be local to my machine
    >>> or
    >>> if it's just YouTube.
    >>>
    >>> Sometimes I will go to a YouTube video and it will bring up the

    page
    >>> but
    >>> no hourglass to indicate it's doing something and, in fact, it does
    >>> absolutely nothing. I can let that page sit there for a few

    minutes
    >>> and
    >>> nothing ever happens.
    >>>
    >>> However, if I hit the reload button on my browser, it will

    sometimes
    >>> work just fine - and sometimes still just sit there, but after two

    or
    >>> three tries, it will run.
    >>>
    >>> This is relatively recent behavior, perhaps the last few weeks.
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't matter what video it is - popular videos, videos that

    have
    >>> very few hits, and everything in between. I can find no

    explanation
    >>> other than that YouTube may just be getting more requests than it

    can
    >>> serve and the behavior I'm seeing is what happens when the page

    loads
    >>> but whatever's supposed to happen next just doesn't.
    >>>
    >>> -S-
    >>>

    >> Essential info you neglect to include:
    >> Your ISP
    >> Your Browser
    >> Your OS
    >> How you connect to the net

    >ISP = Verizon (FIOS)
    >Browser = Chrome
    >OS = Windows XP/Pro/SP3/patches
    >
    >How I connect to the net - via my ISP. :)
    >
    >Funny, but YouTube says its down for maintenance, first time I've
    >encountered that. Maybe they read my message.

    Sure, they monitor this newsfroup for User Opinion.

    ^_^

    >Larry, will try clearing cache via the option to do so in Chrome,

    don't
    >know how to increase cache size.
    >
    >-S-

    Try making it bigger?

    HTH

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 22, 2009
  5. "§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    > Steve Freides <> pinched out a steaming pile
    > of<>:
    >
    >>"§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message

    > page

    > minutes

    > sometimes

    > or

    > have

    > explanation

    > can

    > loads

    >>> Essential info you neglect to include:
    >>> Your ISP
    >>> Your Browser
    >>> Your OS
    >>> How you connect to the net

    >>ISP = Verizon (FIOS)
    >>Browser = Chrome
    >>OS = Windows XP/Pro/SP3/patches
    >>
    >>How I connect to the net - via my ISP. :)
    >>
    >>Funny, but YouTube says its down for maintenance, first time I've
    >>encountered that. Maybe they read my message.
    >>

    > Sure, they monitor this newsfroup for User Opinion.
    >
    > ^_^
    >
    >>Larry, will try clearing cache via the option to do so in Chrome,

    > don't
    >>know how to increase cache size.
    >>
    >>-S-
    >>

    > Try making it bigger?

    Try not.

    http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2008/09/google-chromes-about-pages.html

    -S-
    Steve Freides, Jul 22, 2009
  6. In message <>, "Steve Freides" wrote:
    > "§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    > > Steve Freides <> pinched out a steaming pile
    > > of<>:
    > >
    > >>"§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message

    > > page

    > > minutes

    > > sometimes

    > > or

    > > have

    > > explanation

    > > can

    > > loads

    > >>ISP = Verizon (FIOS)
    > >>Browser = Chrome
    > >>OS = Windows XP/Pro/SP3/patches
    > >>
    > >>How I connect to the net - via my ISP. :)
    > >>
    > >>Funny, but YouTube says its down for maintenance, first time I've
    > >>encountered that. Maybe they read my message.
    > >>

    > > Sure, they monitor this newsfroup for User Opinion.
    > >
    > > ^_^
    > >
    > >>Larry, will try clearing cache via the option to do so in Chrome,

    > > don't
    > >>know how to increase cache size.
    > >>
    > >>-S-
    > >>

    > > Try making it bigger?

    > Try not.
    >
    > http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2008/09/google-chromes-about-pages.html
    >
    > -S-

    Hmmm...its based on geko/mozzy code but this:
    3. about:cache - a list of all the web pages cached by Google Chrome. The
    browser doesn't have an option to limit the cache's size, so it's
    recommended to regularly empty the cache.

    Seems pretty fucked up...but I'm not afraid to break stuff :)
    I'd try cutting & pasting the right line from a version of FF in to see if that
    would give users cache-size adjustability.
    But I'm stupid like that...

    ^_^

    --
    http://www.milksucks.com/pus.asp