youtube - "server not found" error message.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Den, Feb 24, 2008.

  1. Den

    Den Guest

    Hello all, I wonder if anyone can help.

    I am using an acer 5720 laptop computer. The operating system is
    Vista, and I access the internet using a wireless signal from a
    netgear router.

    My problem is, I cannot access the 'youtube' website. I keep getting
    the "server not found" error message from both firefox and internet
    explorer. Youtube is the only website I have this problem with.

    I have accessed youtube on previous occasions with no problems, and I
    am not sure if anything has changed to cause this problem. I have
    tried a system restore, which did not cure the problem.

    Thanks in advance - Den.

    Den, Feb 24, 2008

  2. Den wrote:

    > My problem is, I cannot access the 'youtube' website. I keep getting
    > the "server not found" error message from both firefox and internet
    > explorer. Youtube is the only website I have this problem with.

    Did you add youtube.com to your HOSTS file?

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 24, 2008

  3. Den

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 06:09:25 -0800 (PST), Den <>
    wrote:

    >Hello all, I wonder if anyone can help.
    >
    >I am using an acer 5720 laptop computer. The operating system is
    >Vista, and I access the internet using a wireless signal from a
    >netgear router.
    >
    >My problem is, I cannot access the 'youtube' website. I keep getting
    >the "server not found" error message from both firefox and internet
    >explorer. Youtube is the only website I have this problem with.
    >
    >I have accessed youtube on previous occasions with no problems, and I
    >am not sure if anything has changed to cause this problem. I have
    >tried a system restore, which did not cure the problem.
    >
    >Any help with this would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks in advance - Den.

    My guess would be the router.
    Check the firewall settings on the router.
    Try connecting without the router.

    --

    A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
    Mark Twain(attributed)

    richard, Feb 24, 2008
  4. richard wrote:

    > Den <> wrote:
    >> I have accessed youtube on previous occasions with no problems, and I
    >> am not sure if anything has changed to cause this problem. I have
    >> tried a system restore, which did not cure the problem.

    > My guess would be the router.
    > Check the firewall settings on the router.
    > Try connecting without the router.

    Please explain how a router would block just one web site, without any
    specific (likely rememberable) user action.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 24, 2008
  5. Den

    Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty nervously hit keys and said, On 2/24/2008 10:41 AM:
    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> Den <> wrote:
    >>> I have accessed youtube on previous occasions with no problems, and I
    >>> am not sure if anything has changed to cause this problem. I have
    >>> tried a system restore, which did not cure the problem.

    >> My guess would be the router.
    >> Check the firewall settings on the router.
    >> Try connecting without the router.

    > Please explain how a router would block just one web site, without any
    > specific (likely rememberable) user action.

    Or, could it be a problem with the DNS servers? What about some form of
    content blocking software (such as websense)? There are other things
    that could be causing the issue.

    , Feb 24, 2008
  6. Den

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:41:24 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >
    >> Den <> wrote:
    >>> I have accessed youtube on previous occasions with no problems, and I
    >>> am not sure if anything has changed to cause this problem. I have
    >>> tried a system restore, which did not cure the problem.

    >> My guess would be the router.
    >> Check the firewall settings on the router.
    >> Try connecting without the router.

    >Please explain how a router would block just one web site, without any
    >specific (likely rememberable) user action.

    No harm in eliminating the possibilities is there?
    Could be that during setup, he was on the youtube site, and
    inadvertently checked something he shouldn't have.
    As both browers are denying access, what is it they have in common?
    Firewall and router.
    Eliminate the router, then your answer is in the firewall on the
    machine.

    richard, Feb 24, 2008
  7. Den

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 11:00:38 -0500, ""
    <> wrote:

    >Beauregard T. Shagnasty nervously hit keys and said, On 2/24/2008 10:41 AM:
    >> richard wrote:

    >>> My guess would be the router.
    >>> Check the firewall settings on the router.
    >>> Try connecting without the router.

    >> Please explain how a router would block just one web site, without any
    >> specific (likely rememberable) user action.
    >>

    >Or, could it be a problem with the DNS servers? What about some form of
    >content blocking software (such as websense)? There are other things
    >that could be causing the issue.

    Most likely a firewall issue. Question is, which one?
    Simple enough to bypass the router to determine.
    Most routers have a built-in firewall so it's possible during setup
    something got activated inadvertently causing this one site to be
    blocked.

    richard, Feb 24, 2008
  8. Den

    Guest

    On Feb 24, 12:29 pm, richard <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 11:00:38 -0500, ""
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >Beauregard T. Shagnasty nervously hit keys and said, On 2/24/2008 10:41 AM:

    > >> Please explain how a router would block just one web site, without any
    > >> specific (likely rememberable) user action.

    > >Or, could it be a problem with the DNS servers? What about some form of
    > >content blocking software (such as websense)? There are other things
    > >that could be causing the issue.

    > Most likely a firewall issue. Question is, which one?
    > Simple enough to bypass the router to determine.
    > Most routers have a built-in firewall so it's possible during setup
    > something got activated inadvertently causing this one site to be
    > blocked.
    >
    > --
    >
    > A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
    > Mark Twain(attributed)

    Could it be related to the Pakistani order to block youtube.

    check out
    http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5io-SE_bmENEzM46rwdVuDt9iK5zg
    http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=...tp://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=546&cid=0

    , Feb 24, 2008
  9. Den

    Iain Guest

    On Feb 24, 2:09 pm, Den <> wrote:
    > Hello all, I wonder if anyone can help.
    >
    > I am using an acer 5720 laptop computer. The operating system is
    > Vista, and I access the internet using a wireless signal from a
    > netgear router.
    >
    > My problem is, I cannot access the 'youtube' website. I keep getting
    > the "server not found" error message from both firefox and internet
    > explorer.Youtubeis the only website I have this problem with.
    >
    > I have accessedyoutubeon previous occasions with no problems, and I
    > am not sure if anything has changed to cause this problem. I have
    > tried a system restore, which did not cure the problem.
    >
    > Any help with this would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance - Den.

    I have the precise same problem -- and precisely the same PC brand and
    config.

    ~Iain

    Iain, Feb 24, 2008
  10. Den

    meerkat Guest

    "Den" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all, I wonder if anyone can help.
    >
    > I am using an acer 5720 laptop computer. The operating system is
    > Vista, and I access the internet using a wireless signal from a
    > netgear router.
    >
    > My problem is, I cannot access the 'youtube' website. I keep getting
    > the "server not found" error message from both firefox and internet
    > explorer. Youtube is the only website I have this problem with.

    Same here, different machine.
    Could be our ISP blocking it.

    meerkat, Feb 24, 2008
  11. richard wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >>>
    >>> My guess would be the router. Check the firewall settings on the
    >>> router. Try connecting without the router.

    >> Please explain how a router would block just one web site, without
    >> any specific (likely rememberable) user action.

    > No harm in eliminating the possibilities is there?
    > Could be that during setup, he was on the youtube site, and
    > inadvertently checked something he shouldn't have.

    But not likely. If he was setting up the router, his browser would be on
    the router setup page.

    > As both browers are denying access, what is it they have in common?
    > Firewall and router.

    Firewall and router and HOSTS file.

    > Eliminate the router, then your answer is in the firewall on the
    > machine.

    or the HOSTS file. Or, as someone else has recently suggested, blocked
    by the ISP (though if that were true, I'd be shopping).

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 25, 2008
  12. Den

    Iain Guest

    On Feb 24, 9:11 pm, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    > "Den" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...> Hello all, I wonder if anyone can help.
    >
    > > I am using an acer 5720 laptop computer. The operating system is
    > > Vista, and I access the internet using a wireless signal from a
    > > netgear router.

    > > My problem is, I cannot access the 'youtube' website. I keep getting
    > > the "server not found" error message from both firefox and internet
    > > explorer. Youtube is the only website I have this problem with.

    > Same here, different machine.
    > Could be our ISP blocking it.

    Seems alright now.

    ~Iain

    Iain, Feb 28, 2008
  13. Den

    kishanoua

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    youtube-server not found

    hiiii!!!! i have the same problem with den....since a little while(2 months i think) i can't access at youtube and an error message appears which says that ''server cannot be found''....this problem, though was solved when i downloaded again software called ''java'' or something like this, because i had a problem with a programme....i don't know where the problem is....is there anyone who can help me????=] thanks in advance....=]

    kishanoua, Nov 8, 2008