YouTube Revisiting the page must start a new download?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by John Doe, Dec 15, 2008.

  1. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Every time I hit the back button, YouTube starts downloading the same
    video from the start all over again. Is there some way for Firefox to
    prevent that from happening? Doesn't matter if the video was completely
    downloaded or partially downloaded (it doesn't even start downloading
    at the point where it was interrupted), every single time I visit that
    same video page, the whole thing starts downloading again. If there is
    no way to prevent it from starting, is there some way to stop it? The
    escape button doesn't do it and the View -- Stop menu selection is
    grayed out. Right clicking on the video leads to flash player options.
    Doesn't seem to be a storage allocation problem, at least 1 GB is set
    for Firefox temporary files and the Application Data -- Mozilla cache
    folder contains hundreds of files.

    BTW. I'm not blaming it on Firefox, just looking for a solution. Is
    there a better group to ask?

    Thanks.

    John Doe, Dec 15, 2008

  2. John Doe

    fatsteve Guest

    John Doe wrote:
    > Every time I hit the back button, YouTube starts downloading the same
    > video from the start all over again. Is there some way for Firefox to
    > prevent that from happening? Doesn't matter if the video was completely
    > downloaded or partially downloaded (it doesn't even start downloading
    > at the point where it was interrupted), every single time I visit that
    > same video page, the whole thing starts downloading again. If there is
    > no way to prevent it from starting, is there some way to stop it? The
    > escape button doesn't do it and the View -- Stop menu selection is
    > grayed out. Right clicking on the video leads to flash player options.
    > Doesn't seem to be a storage allocation problem, at least 1 GB is set
    > for Firefox temporary files and the Application Data -- Mozilla cache
    > folder contains hundreds of files.
    >
    > BTW. I'm not blaming it on Firefox, just looking for a solution. Is
    > there a better group to ask?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Use an addon to download the .flv video from YouTube and save it to your
    hard drive to view later. I use Download Helper addon to do this but
    there are others that will do the same thing.

    fatsteve, Dec 15, 2008

  3. John Doe

    Justin Guest

    John Doe wrote on [Mon, 15 Dec 2008 04:00:46 GMT]:

    > Every time I hit the back button, YouTube starts downloading the same
    > video from the start all over again. Is there some way for Firefox to
    > prevent that from happening? Doesn't matter if the video was completely
    > downloaded or partially downloaded (it doesn't even start downloading
    > at the point where it was interrupted), every single time I visit that
    > same video page, the whole thing starts downloading again. If there is
    > no way to prevent it from starting, is there some way to stop it? The
    > escape button doesn't do it and the View -- Stop menu selection is
    > grayed out. Right clicking on the video leads to flash player options.
    > Doesn't seem to be a storage allocation problem, at least 1 GB is set
    > for Firefox temporary files and the Application Data -- Mozilla cache
    > folder contains hundreds of files.
    >
    > BTW. I'm not blaming it on Firefox, just looking for a solution. Is
    > there a better group to ask?

    It's the way it's designed. You could use something like flashblock
    which would then require you hit play on every embedded flash object
    before any flash loads.

    It IS the flashplayer options you want, it has nothing to do with
    firefox and all to do with the flash plugin.

    Justin, Dec 15, 2008
  4. John Doe wrote:
    > Every time I hit the back button, YouTube starts downloading the same
    > video from the start all over again. Is there some way for Firefox to
    > prevent that from happening? Doesn't matter if the video was completely
    > downloaded or partially downloaded (it doesn't even start downloading
    > at the point where it was interrupted), every single time I visit that
    > same video page, the whole thing starts downloading again. If there is
    > no way to prevent it from starting, is there some way to stop it? The
    > escape button doesn't do it and the View -- Stop menu selection is
    > grayed out. Right clicking on the video leads to flash player options.
    > Doesn't seem to be a storage allocation problem, at least 1 GB is set
    > for Firefox temporary files and the Application Data -- Mozilla cache
    > folder contains hundreds of files.
    >
    > BTW. I'm not blaming it on Firefox, just looking for a solution. Is
    > there a better group to ask?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Also, there is an add-on called "Stop Autoplay" which at least will give you the
    option of deciding whether you want something to start downloading.

    Gualtier Malde, Dec 15, 2008
  5. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Justin <> wrote:
    > John Doe wrote on [Mon, 15 Dec 2008 04:00:46 GMT]:

    >> Right clicking on the video leads to flash player options.

    >> BTW. I'm not blaming it on Firefox, just looking for a solution.

    > It IS the flashplayer options you want,

    I don't see any relevant Flash Player options. Am I missing something?

    John Doe, Dec 16, 2008
  6. John Doe

    Justin Guest

    John Doe wrote on [Tue, 16 Dec 2008 00:08:39 GMT]:
    > Justin <> wrote:
    >> John Doe wrote on [Mon, 15 Dec 2008 04:00:46 GMT]:

    >>> Right clicking on the video leads to flash player options.

    >>> BTW. I'm not blaming it on Firefox, just looking for a solution.

    >> It IS the flashplayer options you want,

    > I don't see any relevant Flash Player options. Am I missing something?

    Try googling flash settings manager

    for some reason Adobe believes it's best to have the settings manager at
    their website

    Justin, Dec 16, 2008
  7. Justin wrote:
    > John Doe wrote on [Tue, 16 Dec 2008 00:08:39 GMT]:
    >> Justin <> wrote:
    >>> It IS the flashplayer options you want,

    >> I don't see any relevant Flash Player options. Am I missing something?

    > Try googling flash settings manager
    >
    > for some reason Adobe believes it's best to have the settings manager at
    > their website

    http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 16, 2008