YouTube Killing IE6

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 24, 2010.

  1. <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/youtube-to-kill-ie6-support-on-march-13.ars>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 24, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Matty F Guest

    On Feb 24, 10:12 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/youtube-to-kill-ie6-sup...>

    Not just killing IE6 but also Firefox 2 and other older browsers.
    I know a bunch of people who are quite happy using their small
    machines with Win 98SE. XP is too slow and horrible on their machines.
    They have firewalls and don't have any problems with viruses etc..
    But later versions of Firefox, Opera and Chrome won't work on Win
    98SE.
    I wonder what the special features are of Youtube that won't work now?
    What else does Youtube give but crappy video and crappy sound?
    Matty F, Feb 24, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/youtube-to-kill-ie6-support-on-march-13.ars>

    A good thing too! If anyone is still using IE6 they are obviously a
    pirate and a communist to boot. And probably a tree hugging Greenie and
    an ACT supporter.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Feb 24, 2010
  4. In message <>, Matty F wrote:

    > I know a bunch of people who are quite happy using their small
    > machines with Win 98SE.
    > What else does Youtube give but crappy video and crappy sound?

    If YouTube is so crappy, then what’s the problem?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 25, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > On Feb 24, 10:12 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/youtube-to-kill-ie6-sup...>

    > Not just killing IE6 but also Firefox 2 and other older browsers.
    > I know a bunch of people who are quite happy using their small
    > machines with Win 98SE. XP is too slow and horrible on their machines.
    > They have firewalls and don't have any problems with viruses etc..
    > But later versions of Firefox, Opera and Chrome won't work on Win
    > 98SE.
    > I wonder what the special features are of Youtube that won't work now?
    > What else does Youtube give but crappy video and crappy sound?

    Its not crappy if what was uploaded was not crappy.

    But then you get the problem that NZ fraudband cant handle the not
    crappy looking ones so you have to back down to the 360p version or else
    wait for ages of buffering.

    Not to mention the cost of watching the not crappy stuff on youtube.
    Richard, Feb 25, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Matty F Guest

    On Feb 26, 12:18 am, Richard <> wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    > > On Feb 24, 10:12 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > >> <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/youtube-to-kill-ie6-sup...>

    > > Not just killing IE6 but also Firefox 2 and other older browsers.
    > > I know a bunch of people who are quite happy using their small
    > > machines with Win 98SE. XP is too slow and horrible on their machines.
    > > They have firewalls and don't have any problems with viruses etc..
    > > But later versions of Firefox, Opera and Chrome won't work on Win
    > > 98SE.
    > > I wonder what the special features are of Youtube that won't work now?
    > > What else does Youtube give but crappy video and crappy sound?

    > Its not crappy if what was uploaded was not crappy.
    >
    > But then you get the problem that NZ fraudband cant handle the not
    > crappy looking ones so you have to back down to the 360p version or else
    > wait for ages of buffering.
    >
    > Not to mention the cost of watching the not crappy stuff on youtube.

    The subject of the thread is YouTube killing IE6 (and other older
    browsers). What is YouTube actually killing if the videos still work
    but with some features missing? If nobody knows I guess I'll find out
    in a few weeks.
    YouTube seem to imagine that it's easy to upgrade to a new browser.
    As I have explained, for some people it is impossible to upgrade
    browsers on their present computers.
    Matty F, Feb 26, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Matty F wrote:

    > The subject of the thread is YouTube killing IE6 (and other older
    > browsers). What is YouTube actually killing if the videos still work
    > but with some features missing? If nobody knows I guess I'll find out
    > in a few weeks.
    > YouTube seem to imagine that it's easy to upgrade to a new browser.
    > As I have explained, for some people it is impossible to upgrade
    > browsers on their present computers.

    Then their current computers are no longer up to the task and need
    replacing.

    A computer so old it cant run XP probably cant even keep up decoding
    video properly.
    Richard, Feb 26, 2010
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Matty F Guest

    On Feb 27, 12:34 am, Richard <> wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    > > The subject of the thread is YouTube killing IE6 (and other older
    > > browsers). What is YouTube actually killing if the videos still work
    > > but with some features missing? If nobody knows I guess I'll find out
    > > in a few weeks.
    > > YouTube seem to imagine that it's easy to upgrade to a new browser.
    > > As I have explained, for some people it is impossible to upgrade
    > > browsers on their present computers.

    > Then their current computers are no longer up to the task and need
    > replacing.
    >
    > A computer so old it cant run XP probably cant even keep up decoding
    > video properly.

    YouTube and other videos run OK on them now.
    Matty F, Feb 26, 2010