    The price of the lousy Learning Factory PC of $7,000 was shocking.
    Seems the dodgy Learning Factory outfit is now out of business.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 29, 2003

  2. E. Scrooge

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    "E. Scrooge" < (remove eye)> wrote in
    news:bnnoou$qru$:

    > The price of the lousy Learning Factory PC of $7,000 was shocking.
    > Seems the dodgy Learning Factory outfit is now out of business.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I'm sure it was over priced, but the interest would have added a lot to the
    price considering that they had owned it for 3 years and only paid off
    $3,000 of the $7,000 - I would have liked to have known the cash price.
    Chris Mayhew, Oct 29, 2003

  3. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    > "E. Scrooge" < (remove eye)> wrote in
    >
    > > The price of the lousy Learning Factory PC of $7,000 was shocking.
    > > Seems the dodgy Learning Factory outfit is now out of business.
    > >
    > > E. Scrooge
    > >

    > I'm sure it was over priced, but the interest would have added a lot to

    the
    > price considering that they had owned it for 3 years and only paid off
    > $3,000 of the $7,000 - I would have liked to have known the cash price.

    From the original item it was pretty basic PC with a CD ROM drive - not even
    a CD writer. Some con artist was selling them door to door. Even with the
    high interest it was a con job.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 29, 2003
  4. E. Scrooge

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <bnnoou$qru$>,
    says...
    > The price of the lousy Learning Factory PC of $7,000 was shocking.
    > Seems the dodgy Learning Factory outfit is now out of business.

    So uh... who are the people behind this? (ie, got some names? :)

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Oct 30, 2003
  5. On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 01:51:03 +1300, T-Boy wrote:

    > So uh... who are the people behind this? (ie, got some names? :)

    Most likely the usual groups who prey on FOB Islanders (The usual target
    for this kind of crap) - other Islanders in rip-off mode, often playing on
    "family/village" ties.

    If it makes people feel better:

    s/Islanders/ethnic immigration group/
    s/Islanders/same ethnic immigration group/

    However Pacific island culture leaves more of this immigrant group susceptable
    to these kinds of trust-breaching con jobs - AND they seem reluctant to
    report it due to fear of reprisals.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 30, 2003
  6. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "T-Boy" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bnnoou$qru$>,
    > says...
    > > The price of the lousy Learning Factory PC of $7,000 was shocking.
    > > Seems the dodgy Learning Factory outfit is now out of business.

    > So uh... who are the people behind this? (ie, got some names? :)
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    They were sharks that were selling them from door to door. They obviously
    got solo mothers that knew nothing about computers but were easily talked
    into one for their kids education.
    The one on Fair Go had a computer that had been used by someone else but
    thought that it was brand new as promised. The hard drive had the previous
    owners stuff still on it. You can bet that the hard drive was well under 10
    GB being a cheap old basic PC.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 30, 2003
  7. E. Scrooge

    Guest

    In article <>, T-Boy wrote:
    > In article <bnnoou$qru$>,
    > says...
    >> The price of the lousy Learning Factory PC of $7,000 was shocking.
    >> Seems the dodgy Learning Factory outfit is now out of business.

    > So uh... who are the people behind this? (ie, got some names? :)

    A search on Domainz shows that the domain owner is a company
    called New Standard Ltd.
    You can always use the companies register to find out more....
    http://companies.govt.nz

    Looks like Orcon bought their ISP venture in 2001 (rock3),
    according to Orcon's history page.
    , Oct 30, 2003