    all thought from all sides would help... have thought of doing a degree in a
    few yrs......
    Gillian(UK)
    Gillian, Aug 1, 2005

  2. Gillian

    Pseudopath Guest

    Gillian,

    I know of no clear cut answers to your questions. I would strongly suggest
    you do something like buy industry publications and check the job adverts
    (these are usually for either 3rd line or Project/Manager orientated roles so
    not necessarily appropriate), contact local companies about hiring policies
    etc. or check with agencies and anywhere else you can get info!

    That said I know of a few people who dropped out of degree courses and still
    have jobs in the industry. One already had an IT role and decided it wasn't
    worth the investment in time. The other is a very gifted person and left to
    take a job at a company, he subsequently left to provide consultancy
    services. Experience goes a long way too; the majority of people taken on
    within my work place have all had previous experience of some sort with the
    expection of one who had degree...

    In my personal opinion qualifications aren't always necessary but are VERY
    helpful, depending on what level you want to enter the industry determines
    what sort of investment you should make in them. Although I don't recruit and
    have been employed in the industry for over four years in the same company so
    I am no doubt I am way off base!

    Hope that helps!

    Pseudopath, Aug 1, 2005

  3. Gillian

    Tmack Guest

    For an entry level position, certifications are your best bet, but if
    you ever want to advance past that, enroll in a Jr. college or
    University. Employers are more willing to hire someone that is at least
    pursuing a B.S. degree.

    A+/Net+ is the best entry level degree. That's better than the MCDST.

    Look at Monster.com or Dice.com. Even the washingtonpost.com employment
    section should give you a good indication of what employers are looking
    for.
    Tmack, Aug 1, 2005
  4. Gillian

    Nocturnal Guest

    Intern/volunteer your time if you have the option to do that. If not, start
    small, work your way up the chain and eventually you'll land yourself a good
    job.

    --
    Nocturnal

    Nocturnal, Aug 4, 2005