Your thoughts on a new HiVR Panorama algorithm

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rob@19thparallel.com, May 20, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I want to get your opinion on a new VR Panorama algorithm I developed.
    I'm necessarily asking you to download it (although you can; I will
    give the url at the end), but mostly on how to -describe- it.

    Basically, it 's an algorithm that is meant to move away from the
    Virtual-Tour-ishness of the QTVR/other algorithms and make them more
    artistic. I'm not bashing QTVR -- the new algorithm I developed isn't
    really suitable for virtual-tour-style VR panoramas anyway.

    The issue is that one of the problems with VR panoramas has been
    aliasing. You just couldn't have a really sharp, high-resolution
    panorama that didn't have serious jagged-edge problems and keep it
    sharp, especially at different resolutions. This made it really not
    feasible to do a real high-quality/high-resolution Ambient Background
    or Screensaver application that can run in the background.

    The new algorithm I developed over the last year displays panoramas in
    a wide-screen format (that's just my choice, it can do any size, but
    the effect is nicer, imho), and handles the aliasing problem, keeping
    the image sharp at basically any resolution.

    I am wondering how people think about that, in the context of Panoramas
    as Art on the desktop, which necessarily means solving the aliasing
    problem, now that we're in the world of high definition, HD DVD
    standard, etc.

    If you want to look at it, a demo can be downloaded at
    www.19thparallel.com/DlDemo.zip (it's about 5 Megs) -- it's that size
    because the picture quality is quite high. It's a 360-degree panorama
    of 'Crater of Clues' on Mars, and is very sharp even at 1920x1200
    (minimum resolution is 1024x768 and runs on WindowsXP/Windows2000).
    It's uninstallable. It's my first stab at trying to get something out
    there, but I don't really think I am a good salesman, anyway --
    probably because I would rather give it away for free, but I'm still
    trying to figure out how to make money that way.

    Anyway, I would appreciate your opinion. I hesitate to use the word
    'breakthrough', but it seems that way. I don't want to get full of
    myself, though, so I thought I'd get your opinion.

    Thanks

    Rob Nelson
    rob<remove this>@19thparallel.com
    , May 20, 2006

  2. Rudy Benner Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to get your opinion on a new VR Panorama algorithm I developed.
    > I'm necessarily asking you to download it (although you can; I will
    > give the url at the end), but mostly on how to -describe- it.
    >
    > Basically, it 's an algorithm that is meant to move away from the
    > Virtual-Tour-ishness of the QTVR/other algorithms and make them more
    > artistic. I'm not bashing QTVR -- the new algorithm I developed isn't
    > really suitable for virtual-tour-style VR panoramas anyway.
    >
    > The issue is that one of the problems with VR panoramas has been
    > aliasing. You just couldn't have a really sharp, high-resolution
    > panorama that didn't have serious jagged-edge problems and keep it
    > sharp, especially at different resolutions. This made it really not
    > feasible to do a real high-quality/high-resolution Ambient Background
    > or Screensaver application that can run in the background.
    >
    > The new algorithm I developed over the last year displays panoramas in
    > a wide-screen format (that's just my choice, it can do any size, but
    > the effect is nicer, imho), and handles the aliasing problem, keeping
    > the image sharp at basically any resolution.
    >
    > I am wondering how people think about that, in the context of Panoramas
    > as Art on the desktop, which necessarily means solving the aliasing
    > problem, now that we're in the world of high definition, HD DVD
    > standard, etc.
    >
    > If you want to look at it, a demo can be downloaded at
    > www.19thparallel.com/DlDemo.zip (it's about 5 Megs) -- it's that size
    > because the picture quality is quite high. It's a 360-degree panorama
    > of 'Crater of Clues' on Mars, and is very sharp even at 1920x1200
    > (minimum resolution is 1024x768 and runs on WindowsXP/Windows2000).
    > It's uninstallable. It's my first stab at trying to get something out
    > there, but I don't really think I am a good salesman, anyway --
    > probably because I would rather give it away for free, but I'm still
    > trying to figure out how to make money that way.
    >
    > Anyway, I would appreciate your opinion. I hesitate to use the word
    > 'breakthrough', but it seems that way. I don't want to get full of
    > myself, though, so I thought I'd get your opinion.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rob Nelson
    > rob<remove this>@19thparallel.com

    Be aware folks that this is a screensaver. I am very leery of all
    screensavers. It does not show up in the control panel add/remove utility.
    Without any possible consideration of merit, I immediately uninstalled it.
    Hopefully, it has not left any nastiness behind. I will be scanning my
    computer.
    Rudy Benner, May 20, 2006

  3. Rudy Benner wrote:

    > Be aware folks that this is a screensaver. I am very leery of all
    > screensavers. It does not show up in the control panel add/remove
    > utility. Without any possible consideration of merit, I immediately
    > uninstalled it. Hopefully, it has not left any nastiness behind. I
    > will be scanning my computer.

    I'm leery of them, too, especially from a poster with about 4 days of
    Usenet history.

    However, I downloaded the file and installed in on a virtual machine.
    Grisoft AVG did NOT detect any malicious payload. The screensaver is
    nice enough I suppose (I never use them myself) if you're an enthusiast
    for Mars landscapes.

    --
    www.ericschreiber.com
    Eric Schreiber, May 20, 2006
  4. Guest

    Yes, it's a screensaver. That's the idea I mentioned -- Panoramas as
    Art, which would mean some free-floating way to display them, rather
    than a manual control of it. Under Windows, this happens to be a
    screensaver. I could have made it a non-screensaver, but would it
    really make the spyware/adware issue any less? Of course not.

    I didn't think about the idea that screensavers are generally suspect.
    Sorry about that. It can be installed and uninstalled through the
    configuration menu, and I guarantee it left nothing behind. If
    anyone's worried, they can find it on Softpedia.com, which has listed
    another demo of the same program and qualified it as spyware and
    adware-free -- they actually run it themselves and take screenshots, so
    they would know better than sites that just scan programs with
    software.

    That was never the point of the main message anyway, I just wanted
    people's opinion on the concept. I just included the download as
    reference and specifically said I wasn't trying to get anyone to
    download it.

    The Softpedia link is
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Deskto.../Rub-al-Khali-The-Sahara-of-Mars-VR-Pan.shtml

    This is a different panorama -- I think it is more beautiful than the
    one I gave in the previous message, but it shows less of the aliasing
    removal because it has fewer sharp areas (it's a beautiful Sahara-like
    desert scene)

    Here is the softpedia virus/spyware/adware report:
    http://www.softpedia.com/progClean/Rub-al-Khali-The-Sahara-of-Mars-VR-Pan-Clean-40272.html

    I'm glad this came up - I should put that up on my site.

    I hope that alleviates any fears, because I would like your opinion on
    the advancement made in removing the aliasing without sacrificing image
    quality. And, please remember that I am not specifically trying to
    get people to download it. I would appreciate any opinions on the
    actual software, though.

    Thanks,

    Rob Nelson
    rob<remove this>@19thparallel.com
    , May 20, 2006
  5. In article <>, rob@
    19thparallel.com says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to get your opinion on a new VR Panorama algorithm I developed.
    > I'm necessarily asking you to download it (although you can; I will
    > give the url at the end), but mostly on how to -describe- it.
    >
    > Basically, it 's an algorithm that is meant to move away from the
    > Virtual-Tour-ishness of the QTVR/other algorithms and make them more
    > artistic. I'm not bashing QTVR -- the new algorithm I developed isn't
    > really suitable for virtual-tour-style VR panoramas anyway.
    >
    > The issue is that one of the problems with VR panoramas has been
    > aliasing. You just couldn't have a really sharp, high-resolution
    > panorama that didn't have serious jagged-edge problems and keep it
    > sharp, especially at different resolutions. This made it really not
    > feasible to do a real high-quality/high-resolution Ambient Background
    > or Screensaver application that can run in the background.
    >
    > The new algorithm I developed over the last year displays panoramas in
    > a wide-screen format (that's just my choice, it can do any size, but
    > the effect is nicer, imho), and handles the aliasing problem, keeping
    > the image sharp at basically any resolution.
    >
    > I am wondering how people think about that, in the context of Panoramas
    > as Art on the desktop, which necessarily means solving the aliasing
    > problem, now that we're in the world of high definition, HD DVD
    > standard, etc.
    >
    > If you want to look at it, a demo can be downloaded at
    > www.19thparallel.com/DlDemo.zip (it's about 5 Megs) -- it's that size
    > because the picture quality is quite high. It's a 360-degree panorama
    > of 'Crater of Clues' on Mars, and is very sharp even at 1920x1200
    > (minimum resolution is 1024x768 and runs on WindowsXP/Windows2000).
    > It's uninstallable. It's my first stab at trying to get something out
    > there, but I don't really think I am a good salesman, anyway --
    > probably because I would rather give it away for free, but I'm still
    > trying to figure out how to make money that way.
    >
    > Anyway, I would appreciate your opinion. I hesitate to use the word
    > 'breakthrough', but it seems that way. I don't want to get full of
    > myself, though, so I thought I'd get your opinion.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rob Nelson
    > rob<remove this>@19thparallel.com

    You want to have a way for people to see the effect you are trying
    to get without downloading anything. Perhaps a little flash animation
    or similar. I no longer download software "to try it out". It is just
    too time consuming and most leave things in the registry even after
    they are removed.

    --
    Robert D Feinman
    http://robertdfeinman.com
    Robert Feinman, May 23, 2006
  6. Guest

    Oh, I have to agree. Especially since the download size is 3.5
    megabytes. Even though the software I wrote leaves nothing behind,
    there is really no way for people to know that. Sadly, I can't
    display it through any animation on a web-page, since there are some
    specific algorithms involved. But, I have decided to give the product
    away for free, so that people don't have to pay $10 to see it.
    Besides, the initial set are NASA/JPL panoramas that we all paid for
    already anyway! :).

    I think that once it has established itself, people will feel
    comfortable with downloading, and it's just the
    getting-established-as-a-known-quantity/entity-phase I'm in right now,
    and am learning by experience what does and doesn't work. It's been a
    learning process, that's for sure.

    Rob

    , May 24, 2006