    reason/s why, for any picks.

    If anything had a 2003 cinema release and you saw it for first time on
    DVD, that's fine.
    Ken, Dec 24, 2003

  2. Ken

    SBFan2000 Guest

    Of the in theater movies I saw I would pick Terminator 3 as my favorite. As
    the worst I would pick Matrix Revolutions. That movie left so much to be
    desired and left to many questions! Not the mention the big irritation that
    the whole point was to free humanity from the machines and that really never
    happened. I know I'll catch hell for picking it as my worst, but hey thats
    my opinion!

    As for the movies I saw on DVD! I would pick Terminator 3 as the best.
    (Perhaps my favorite movie ever) As for worst, I really don't know because
    I don't rent movies, I buy all my movies and obviously I only buy what I
    like. Have not rented a movie for almost a decade.

    SBFan2000, Dec 24, 2003

  3. Ken

    Louis Guest

    "Ken" <> wrote in message
    > What are your picks of the WORST 1 - 5 and BEST 1 - 5 2003 cinema only
    > release films you saw at cinema or on DVD and please give your
    > reason/s why, for any picks.
    >
    > If anything had a 2003 cinema release and you saw it for first time on
    > DVD, that's fine.

    Best Films, 2003

    1. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
    2. Lost in Translation
    3. Captain & Commander
    4. Kill Bill, part 1
    5. Dirty Pretty Things
    6. The Last Samurai

    As for worst: I avoid crap. The two Matrix films I hoped would appear on my
    best list. However, they were crap and extremely disappointing.

    Louis, Dec 24, 2003
  4. Ken

    Stan Jensen Guest

    I guess I only watch films I'm pretty sure are good enough for my money. So
    I don't go to the theater much. But this year is....

    1. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - The final chapter of the
    trilogy.
    2. Finding Nemo - Because it's Pixar!!!
    3. Kill Bill Vol 1 - One word: Tarentino.
    4. Terminator 3 - Ahhnold. Okay, maybe not. How about Kristanna Lokken.:)
    5. Bruce Almighty - I'm a Carrey fan
    Stan Jensen, Dec 24, 2003
  5. Ken

    jgb Guest

    BEST:

    1. Dogville
    2. Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
    3. Kill Bill, Vol. 1
    4. Elephant
    5. Lost In Translation

    As for the worst, I can't really make a Top5, but I can say that both Matrix
    outputs were awfull and "The Human Stain" was very disappointing...

    Just my two cents...

    -Bruno G.

    jgb, Dec 24, 2003
  6. Ken

    jgb Guest

    Ups.. forgot to say the reasons. So here they go:

    1. Dogville: for being one of the most original movies I have ever seen, for
    the beauty of the dialogue, for the magnificent interpretations and for the
    great courage of Mr. Von Trier for making something like this
    2. Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King: for being the conclusion of
    one of the greatest epic tales ever told in the movies, for the magnitude of
    the visuals... Now, if this doesn't win Best Movie and Best Director Academy
    Awards, I'll never see the Oscar again!
    3. Kill Bill, Vol.1: one of the most stylistic movies I've ever seen. Yes,
    Tarantino shows lots of influences and doesn't try to hide them. But hey!
    Everyone else just copies their influences! Tarantino manipulates them into
    something personal and new. Plus, this movie has one of the coolest
    soundtracks ever, and Uma is great: just look at how much that woman can say
    with her eyes!
    4. Elephant: risky adventure by Van Sant, but it was worth it. A unique
    approach to this subject. Very touching, very strong, very though. But, all
    in all, a beautiful masterpiece!
    5. Lost In Translation: do I really have to say anything here? At least we
    know there is one Coppola who still knows how to pull it off!

    As for the WORST movies, all I can say is that both Matrix outputs left a
    lot to be desired, specially if you compare them to the first movie. Ir
    promissed so much, and gave so little. I'm starting to wonder if those
    brothers are really geniuses, or if they just had some luck with they first
    movies....
    "The Human Stain", albeit not an awfull movie, was hugely disappointing.
    Such a story, such a brilliant cast, such a waste of cellulloid... This
    could have been one of the greates movies of the year, certainly a strong
    Academy Award contender, but it was just not up to the expectations...
    Hopkins was great, yes, but... why didn't they just stick with the main plot
    of the racism, and forget all that sub-plot romantic nonsense??

    jgb, Dec 24, 2003
  7. Ken

    Louis Guest

    "Louis" <> wrote in message

    > "Ken" <> wrote in message
    > > What are your picks of the WORST 1 - 5 and BEST 1 - 5 2003 cinema only
    > > release films you saw at cinema or on DVD and please give your
    > > reason/s why, for any picks.
    > >
    > > If anything had a 2003 cinema release and you saw it for first time on
    > > DVD, that's fine.

    > Best Films, 2003
    >
    > 1. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
    > 2. Lost in Translation
    > 3. Captain & Commander
    > 4. Kill Bill, part 1
    > 5. Dirty Pretty Things
    > 6. The Last Samurai

    Forgot one of the best: Whale Rider (move to #2).

    Louis, Dec 24, 2003
  8. Ken

    jpeabody Guest

    (Ken) wrote in message news:<>...
    > What are your picks of the WORST 1 - 5 and BEST 1 - 5 2003 cinema only
    > release films you saw at cinema or on DVD and please give your
    > reason/s why, for any picks.
    >
    > If anything had a 2003 cinema release and you saw it for first time on
    > DVD, that's fine.

    I only saw about a dozen 2003 films in the theater this year, not
    enough for top 5 good and bad. So the films I most liked were:

    1) Kill Bill. The constant homages, flashy style and humor swept me
    along through the rivers of blood. Can't wait for v2.
    2) LOTR: ROTK. This might have been #1, but for the third LOTR film
    in a row I was stuck way up front and off to the side. I'll have to
    3) Lost In Translation. The tone reminded me of Rushmore for some
    reason. Not completely satisfying, but it was designed that way.

    Honorable mentions: X2, the funniest parts of Old School, parts of
    Matrix Reloaded (the freeway chase, the Architect scene, Monica
    Bellucci's body), and the Eugene Levy/Catherine O'Hara reunion in A
    Mighty Wind.

    On the downside, I'd agree that Matrix Revolutions was a huge
    disappointment. It felt like they just wanted to get it over already.
    By the time it turned into a big Robotech movie, I felt the same way.
    Hulk was also a disappointment that could've been saved I think by
    just moving the Monument Valley chase scene to the beginning, then
    flashing back. It took too long to get to the Hulk throwing tanks
    around.
    jpeabody, Dec 24, 2003
  9. Ken

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Ken, says...

    I can't really write a 5 best list, because there are a LOT of year-end
    movies I haven't seen yet that are supposed to be great (Return of the
    King, for example). I have a lot of catching up to do this holiday
    season. But I will say I enjoyed Last Samurai.

    I will gladly give my WORST list:

    Matrix Revolutions
    Matrix Reloaded
    The Hulk
    The Core

    Note to studios: Stop making effects films with cardboard cut-out
    characters people won't care about, pointless stories, and horrible
    dialog. Thanks.
    Mark Spatny, Dec 25, 2003
  10. Louis wrote:

    > "Ken" <> wrote in message
    > > What are your picks of the WORST 1 - 5 and BEST 1 - 5 2003 cinema only
    > > release films you saw at cinema or on DVD and please give your
    > > reason/s why, for any picks.
    > >
    > > If anything had a 2003 cinema release and you saw it for first time on
    > > DVD, that's fine.

    > Best Films, 2003
    >
    > 1. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
    > 2. Lost in Translation
    > 3. Captain & Commander

    You would think that for a film that made #3 on your list, you would at
    least know the correct name of it (Master & Commander).

    LVIII
    Lord Vader III, Dec 25, 2003
  11. Ken

    Kom Guest

    > What are your picks of the WORST 1 - 5 and BEST 1 - 5 2003 cinema only
    > release films you saw at cinema or on DVD and please give your
    > reason/s why, for any picks.

    Don't think there has been anything that came out in the theaters the past
    few years that was worth watching. Nothing but shit is being marketed
    and produced today.
    Kom, Dec 25, 2003
  12. Ken

    Wade365 Guest

    << Don't think there has been anything that came out in the theaters the past
    few years that was worth watching. Nothing but shit is being marketed
    and produced today. >>

    "Finding Nemo". Try it.
    Wade365, Dec 26, 2003
  13. Ken

    Joe Guest

    > << Don't think there has been anything that came out in the theaters the past
    > few years that was worth watching. Nothing but shit is being marketed
    > and produced today. >>
    >
    > "Finding Nemo". Try it.

    I think we are talking about movies, not cartoons, but nice try anyway. Yes, I
    hear this is a nice cartoon, and have not had a chance to watch my DVD of it yet,
    but as far as movies go, nothing good enough to buy. Only getting old movies
    and old TV shows on DVD, but no movies produced in the last 2 or so years.
    Joe, Dec 27, 2003
  14. Ken

    Justin Guest

    Joe wrote on [Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:21:44 GMT]:
    >> << Don't think there has been anything that came out in the theaters the past
    >> few years that was worth watching. Nothing but shit is being marketed
    >> and produced today. >>
    >>
    >> "Finding Nemo". Try it.

    > I think we are talking about movies, not cartoons, but nice try anyway.

    Aaaah. So you're saying that animated movies are not movies? Nice hole
    to dig yourself into.
    Justin, Dec 27, 2003
  15. Ken

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Mark Spatny <> wrote:

    Best:

    Finding Nemo
    Daredevil
    Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind
    Chicago
    Catch Me If You Can
    Phone Booth
    Down With Love
    Matrix Reloaded

    Worst:

    Hulk
    The Core
    Charlies Angels: Full Throttle
    Basic
    Frida
    Narc
    Maid In Manhattan
    Peter Briggs, Dec 28, 2003
  16. Ken

    AceoHearts Guest

    > I think we are talking about movies, not cartoons, but nice try anyway.
    Yes, I
    > hear this is a nice cartoon,

    Well if you feel that cartoons are not movies, maybe you should try watching
    some of the following. I am sure it will change your perspective a bit.
    These are all Anime, but they show how moving and amazing "cartoons" can be.

    Millenium Actress (great drama)
    Perfect Blue (One of the best psycho-thrillers ever animated or not)
    Grave of the Fireflies ((touching yet depressing story of orphans in Japan
    after WW2)
    Spirited Away (Won an Oscar)
    Cowboy Bebop (Great Jazz, Rock, Classical soundtrack)
    Akira (A true classic)

    AceOHearts
    AceoHearts, Dec 28, 2003
  17. Ken

    Maverick Guest

    (Ken) wrote:

    >What are your picks of the WORST 1 - 5 and
    > BEST 1 - 5 2003 cinema only release films you
    > saw at cinema or on DVD and please give your
    > reason/s why, for any picks.

    >If anything had a 2003 cinema release and you
    > saw it for first time on DVD, that's fine.

    Best:

    1. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
    2. Seabiscuit
    3. X-Men 2
    4. Under The Tuscan Sun
    5. Finding Nemo

    Worst:

    1. Cold Mountain
    2. Mona Lisa Smiles
    3. Matrix Revolutions
    4. The Hulk
    5. Gigli
    Maverick, Dec 28, 2003
  18. Ken

    Game Zone Guest

    x:no:archive: yes

    Only 3 movies stood out way above the crowd - they're all
    interchangeable for the top 3 spots.

    1a) 21 GRAMS : Excellent script minus the 1 line after Watts calls
    Penn's character in the wee hours. Quite a bit more compelling than
    Memento as far as out of sequence flicks are concerned.

    1b) THIRTEEN : Lead actress has a natural presence. Interestingly
    framed shots with the handheld camera.

    1c) MYSTIC RIVER : Penn's porch scene alone should garner him an
    Oscar. Barebones simple directing.

    I haven't seen 'Big Fish'.
    Game Zone, Dec 28, 2003
  19. Ken

    Huck Guest

    > >> << Don't think there has been anything that came out in the theaters the past
    > >> few years that was worth watching. Nothing but shit is being marketed
    > >> and produced today. >>
    > >>
    > >> "Finding Nemo". Try it.

    > > I think we are talking about movies, not cartoons, but nice try anyway.

    > Aaaah. So you're saying that animated movies are not movies?

    It is not what any one person is saying, but rather what the majority of people are
    all in agreement with.

    Just saw Finding Nemo, and really enjoyed it. It was a great cartoon. I
    especially like the feature on the 2nd fullscreen DVD in which they explain that
    there is more picture on the fullscreen version, and the widescreen version is
    basically a cropped version with black bars and you are missing that part of the
    picture, which is finally the opposite of the way it used to be. Thank god they
    are finally making DVDs with the television set in mind rather than the theater
    screen. After all, the DVD player has video outputs, not a lens and projected
    light. DVD players are meant to be connected to television sets. 99.9% of
    television sets in homes are not widescreen.
    Huck, Dec 28, 2003
  20. Ken

    Huck Guest

    > Well if you feel that cartoons are not movies,

    That is what MOST people consider, not just one person on this newsgroup.

    > maybe you should try watching
    > some of the following. I am sure it will change your perspective a bit.
    > These are all Anime,

    Anime are not even considered cartoons by most, and why they got their own term
    of "Anime" It is a format all of it's own. They are basically
    informercials trying to sell action figures.
    Huck, Dec 28, 2003