  1. Eagle Creek

    Eagle Creek Guest

    need opinions for a FREE good popup, popunder stopper.
    Eagle Creek, Dec 19, 2004

  2. Eagle Creek

    DC Guest

    Eagle Creek wrote:
    > need opinions for a FREE good popup, popunder stopper.

    Mozilla/Firefox.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    It's not the software that's free; it's you.
    DC, Dec 19, 2004

  3. Eagle Creek

    °Mike° Guest

    SlimBrowser combined with Proxomitron.
    I NEVER get unwanted popups/unders.

    SlimBrowser
    http://www.flashpeak.com/sbrowser/

    Proxomitron
    http://www.proxomitron.info/
    Proxomitron Introduction
    http://www.sankey.ws/proxomitron.html

    Proxomitron filters
    http://www.jd5000.net/
    http://www.sankey.ws/proxfilt.html

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:14:36 -0600, in
    <>
    Eagle Creek scrawled:

    >need opinions for a FREE good popup, popunder stopper.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 19, 2004
  4. Eagle Creek

    Jock Strap Guest

    Eagle Creek wrote:

    > need opinions for a FREE good popup, popunder stopper.

    The Firefox browser.
    Jock Strap, Dec 19, 2004
  5. Although its not perfect, I really like the Google toolbar.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Multi-Domain & Reseller Cpanel Hosting
    http://www.AxisHost.com - High bandwidth Cpanel Hosting

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Dec 19, 2004
  6. Eagle Creek

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Quite - all things considered, my favorite (and now only) add-on toolbar.
    Now I have instant access to Google's search, and was able to choose a
    different home page. (For the longest time, Google *had* to be my home
    page!)

    Toolman Tim, Dec 19, 2004
  7. Eagle Creek

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:34:14 -0800, in
    <lJlxd.26215$>
    Toolman Tim scrawled:

    <snip>

    >Now I have instant access to Google's search,

    I have access to 38 *fully customisable* search engines,
    directly from SlimBrowser's quicksearch bar, not to mention
    direct RSS reading from the browser, and the many, many
    other tools and features, including filtering.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 19, 2004

    Firefox. http://mozilla.org

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Dec 19, 2004
  9. Eagle Creek

    bjc Guest

    Yep - Tina right, Google's good. Guys and Gals, Mr. Eagle Creek just wants a
    popup blocker!

    bjc, Dec 20, 2004
  10. Eagle Creek

    sethra Guest

    Eagle Creek wrote in news::

    > need opinions for a FREE good popup, popunder stopper.

    The Proxomitron.

    http://www.proxomitron.info/

    --
    ~sethra
    sethra, Dec 20, 2004
  11. Eagle Creek

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Eagle Creek" <> wrote:

    >need opinions for a FREE good popup, popunder stopper.

    Crazy Browser (Internet Explorer add-on) www.crazybrowser.com

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Dec 20, 2004
  12. Eagle Creek wrote:

    > need opinions for a FREE good popup, popunder stopper.

    Make it three in a row..
    To me, Mozilla's the way to go.

    --

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Dec 21, 2004
  13. Eagle Creek

    Jock Strap Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > I have access to 38 *fully customisable* search engines

    What do you mean by "fully customisable" exactly?
    Jock Strap, Dec 21, 2004
  14. Eagle Creek

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:55:36 +1100, in
    <41c87fb8$>
    Jock Strap scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> I have access to 38 *fully customisable* search engines

    >What do you mean by "fully customisable" exactly?

    If there is a search engine out there you can add it to
    your QuickSearch bar, by means of definition files.
    You can use the QuickSearch toolbar or for those that
    prefer the Explorer-type sidebar, you can use that too.
    Really simple; really quick; really neat.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 21, 2004
  15. Eagle Creek

    Jock Strap Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    >> What do you mean by "fully customisable" exactly?

    > If there is a search engine out there you can add it to
    > your QuickSearch bar, by means of definition files.
    > You can use the QuickSearch toolbar or for those that

    Ah, so it's like Firefox when you right-click a search page's
    input field and select "Add a keyword for this search". :)
    Jock Strap, Dec 22, 2004
  16. Eagle Creek

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 08:05:41 +1100, in
    <41c9e1a4$>
    Jock Strap scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >>> What do you mean by "fully customisable" exactly?

    >> If there is a search engine out there you can add it to
    >> your QuickSearch bar, by means of definition files.
    >> You can use the QuickSearch toolbar or for those that

    >Ah, so it's like Firefox when you right-click a search page's
    >input field and select "Add a keyword for this search". :)

    I don't have that in my Firefox. :(
    I don't believe it's like that, though. It's similar to Firefox's
    Google search bar, but with a drop-down of all the search
    engines you have created, and you can set whatever you
    like as default, and change at will.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 23, 2004
  17. Eagle Creek

    Jock Strap Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    >> Ah, so it's like Firefox when you right-click a search page's
    >> input field and select "Add a keyword for this search". :)

    > I don't have that in my Firefox. :(
    > I don't believe it's like that, though. It's similar to Firefox's
    > Google search bar, but with a drop-down of all the search
    > engines you have created, and you can set whatever you
    > like as default, and change at will.

    You should have that in Firefox -- it's one of the main features.
    Are you using an older release? It's definitely there from v1.0.

    It's actually easier than using Firefox's Google search bar.
    What you do is: When you're at a search site, say IMDB.com, you
    right-click the search field and select "Add a keyword for this
    search". Then, you are prompted (once-off) for a keyword for
    that site. In this case, one might enter "imdb". Then, whenever
    you want to search IMDB.com, you don't need to go there first,
    you just go to the Address Bar and enter: "imdb whatever" to
    search the site. You can do this with any site that offers a
    search function, and it's a great feature of Firefox.
    Jock Strap, Dec 23, 2004
  18. Eagle Creek

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:32:42 +1100, in
    <>
    Jock Strap scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >>> Ah, so it's like Firefox when you right-click a search page's
    >>> input field and select "Add a keyword for this search". :)

    >> I don't have that in my Firefox. :(
    >> I don't believe it's like that, though. It's similar to Firefox's
    >> Google search bar, but with a drop-down of all the search
    >> engines you have created, and you can set whatever you
    >> like as default, and change at will.

    >You should have that in Firefox -- it's one of the main features.
    >Are you using an older release? It's definitely there from v1.0.
    >
    >It's actually easier than using Firefox's Google search bar.
    >What you do is: When you're at a search site, say IMDB.com, you
    >right-click the search field and select "Add a keyword for this
    >search". Then, you are prompted (once-off) for a keyword for
    >that site. In this case, one might enter "imdb". Then, whenever
    >you want to search IMDB.com, you don't need to go there first,
    >you just go to the Address Bar and enter: "imdb whatever" to
    >search the site. You can do this with any site that offers a
    >search function, and it's a great feature of Firefox.

    Yes, I see it now, thanks. Is there any way to further edit/manipulate
    the saved keyword search? For instance, I have (in SlimBrowser)
    a bar set up that when a MSKB article number is inserted, displays
    the KB article in the format: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=$key
    where "$key" is the article number inserted. Doing this from the
    search function at http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1 ,
    in Firefox, just brings up a search results page; not what I'm looking
    for, or used to.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 23, 2004
  19. Eagle Creek

    Jock Strap Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > Yes, I see it now, thanks. Is there any way to further
    > edit/manipulate the saved keyword search? For instance, I have (in
    > SlimBrowser)
    > a bar set up that when a MSKB article number is inserted, displays
    > the KB article in the format: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=$key
    > where "$key" is the article number inserted. Doing this from the
    > search function at http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1 ,
    > in Firefox, just brings up a search results page; not what I'm looking
    > for, or used to.

    Hmm, it worked just fine for me with Firefox... here's what I did:

    (1) Went to http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
    (2) In the "For" field, I right-clicked and selected "Add a keyword..."
    (3) Firefox's "Add Bookmark" dialog came up, so I entered "Microsoft KB"
    for the Name and "kb" for the keyword.
    (4) I then closed Firefox (just to make sure) and restarted it. My home
    page was displayed, so I hit CTRL+L to go the Address Bar and then
    entered "kb firewire" (to search the MS KB for firewire issues).
    (5) I got 20 results displayed, starting with a topic entitled
    "OL2001: You Cannot Mount External FireWire Drives While You Run
    Outlook".

    No problem... what happens if you follow these steps?
    Jock Strap, Dec 23, 2004
  20. Eagle Creek

    Jock Strap Guest

    Jock Strap wrote:

    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=$key where "$key" is the article
    >> number inserted. Doing this from the search function at
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1 , in Firefox, just brings up a
    >> search results page; not what I'm
    >> looking for, or used to.

    Oops, I misunderstood the above (I read too fast). To do what you
    want, follow the steps in my last post, and then open the bookmark
    that Firefox has created and change the "Location" to the following:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=%s

    Then, to go to a specific KB article number, just hit CTRL+L and
    enter "kb #" where # is the article number.
    Jock Strap, Dec 23, 2004