    comment's on this camera or an alternative.
    Your comment's will be much appreciated.

    Dave

    D O'Reilly, May 17, 2004

  2. (D O'Reilly) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I want to purchase a digital camera to replace my old practika slr, I
    > simply can't afford a full digital slr camera.
    > Can anyone suggest a camera in the £300 to £350 range that would
    > possibly be the best choice for producing semi professional
    > results,I've been looking at fiji finepix s602, does anyone have any
    > comment's on this camera or an alternative.
    > Your comment's will be much appreciated.

    You can afford a DSLR, the Sigma SD9. It is both the least expensive
    and the best DSLR made. I would reccommend the Simga 24-74HF ($83),
    effective focal length 39mm-120mm, as a sensational starter lens.
    Here is a comparision between the SD9 and the S602...

    http://www.pbase.com/imageprocessing/717_sd9_s602z

    ....be sure to view "original" sizes.

    To explain the amazing picture quality of the SD9, note the difference
    in raw sensor count between the two cameras. Even though the S602 is
    rated at twice the Megapixels, the SD9 has 436% more optical
    Megapixels, since it doesn't interpolate (100% optical information per
    output pixel) and the S602's 6MP output is 88% interpolated (12%
    optical data per output pixel).

    Georgette Preddy, May 18, 2004

  3. "Georgette Preddy" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > You can afford a DSLR, the Sigma SD9.

    Bad suggestion!
    First, I didn't know the Sigma had plummeted to the price bracket that the
    OP mentioned, especially in UK pounds (in practice they often translate 1 to
    1 to US$).
    Second the SD-9 with its 3.4MP has not delivered to promise and has several
    flaws that were improved upon (but not fully fixed) in its successor the
    SD-10.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, May 18, 2004
  4. D O'Reilly

    Mick Sterbs Guest

    > You can afford a DSLR, the Sigma SD9. It is both the least expensive
    > and the best DSLR made. I would reccommend the Simga 24-74HF ($83),
    > effective focal length 39mm-120mm, as a sensational starter lens.
    > Here is a comparision between the SD9 and the S602...

    Ignore this idiocy O'Reilly. This Preddy is a state registered lunatic who
    demonstrably doesn't know what he's talking about.

    Mick Sterbs, May 18, 2004
  5. D O'Reilly

    ww Guest

    go to dpreview.com

    ww, May 18, 2004
  6. D O'Reilly

    m Ransley Guest

    The reviews sure dont say the sd9 is even in the top 20, " it is the
    Best dslr made " says Preddy, Bwaaa Haaaaaa Haaaaaaaa what a load
    of drivel.
    Price is relative to Demand - quality - desirability of product predy

    Do your self a favor , there are alot of Digital Camera review sites
    that will direct you to a camera in your price range, they will rate by
    price, they also show where you can buy them cheaper. You may end up
    with a better camera for less.
    Sd9 is and never was the best unless you have lived in a cave for
    years. As predy obviously has

    m Ransley, May 18, 2004
  7. D O'Reilly

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 17 May 2004 20:30:55 -0700, (Georgette
    Preddy) wrote:

    > (D O'Reilly) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> I want to purchase a digital camera to replace my old practika slr, I
    >> simply can't afford a full digital slr camera.
    >> Can anyone suggest a camera in the £300 to £350 range that would
    >> possibly be the best choice for producing semi professional
    >> results,I've been looking at fiji finepix s602, does anyone have any
    >> comment's on this camera or an alternative.
    >> Your comment's will be much appreciated.

    >You can afford a DSLR, the Sigma SD9. It is both the least expensive
    >and the best DSLR made. I would reccommend the Simga 24-74HF ($83),
    >effective focal length 39mm-120mm, as a sensational starter lens.
    >Here is a comparision between the SD9 and the S602...
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/imageprocessing/717_sd9_s602z
    >
    >...be sure to view "original" sizes.
    >
    >To explain the amazing picture quality of the SD9, note the difference
    >in raw sensor count between the two cameras. Even though the S602 is
    >rated at twice the Megapixels, the SD9 has 436% more optical
    >Megapixels, since it doesn't interpolate (100% optical information per
    >output pixel) and the S602's 6MP output is 88% interpolated (12%
    >optical data per output pixel).

    If the SD9 is "the best DSLR made", why is there an SD10?

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, May 18, 2004
  8. I would suggest either the Sony DSCF717 or Nikon Coolpix 5700, both
    around 500 or 600 US dollars. If you're broke, the Olympus C-4000 does
    a LOT for the money--about 250 US dollars. I am expecting it to be
    discontinued any day out--it's been out seemingly forever--but last I
    checked it's still available new. Dirt cheap, too for what it does.

    The Nikon has more manual overrides, RAW storage (used by
    professionals), the more common Compact Flash storage and an 8x zoom
    (35-280); the Sony longer battery life, low-light autofocus assitance
    and a still respectable 5x zoom (35-190)--and still plenty of manual
    overrides. Nikon's offering a rebate (in the US anyway) on the 5700
    also. Both are 5 megapixel models considered "prosumer" grade, and
    both are on the large size as digitals go (though smaller than a 35mm
    SLR). You could get prints as large as 10 x 12 1/2 inches at 200 dpi I
    am told.

    Not sure what the exchange rate is in terms of pounds vs dollars, but
    I got my Nikon Coolpix 5700 for not quite $500 US Dollars. It used to
    be double that, is less since an 8 megapixel update to it (the 8700)
    came out and ESPECIALLY since the D70 (a D-SLR--a great one at that)
    came out in the $1000 price point.

    Other good offerings (all 5 megapixel unless otherwise stated):

    * Nikon Coolpix 5400. 4x zoom, 28mm-112 equivalent (if I recall).
    About $500. I like the 5700 better except this one has 28mm on the
    wide-end (rather than 35mm) and is smaller. Used to be cheaper, too,
    but lately it's about the same price.

    * AGAIN--The Olympus C-4000. 3x zoom (36-92mm equivalent), only costs
    about $250. 4 megapixel. A REAL STEAL at its price--at or near
    prosumer grade at a point & shoot price. Only drawbacks--the
    relatively short zoom range, lack of RAW image option, and relatively
    rare Smart Media storage.

    * Canon Powershot G3. 4 megapixel, one of the best of them (and I'm a
    Nikon fan, so that's saying something). 4x zoom, lots of available
    accessories. Costs like $400 I think. Frankly, if I had the money to
    spare, I'd have one for my small-camera needs when my 5700 is too big.

    * Olympus C-5050. 3x zoom, lots of storage options. About $500.
    Comparable to the 5400 except for the smaller zoom.

    Also check out these review sites:

    http://www.dpreview.com

    http://www.dcresource.com

    http://www.megapixel.net