    Even if the best they can do is 10% higher... buy it from them.

    They deserve it.

    Happy Holidays, Dan Sullivan
    Dan Sullivan, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Dan Sullivan

    RacerX Guest

    I agree to an extent i bought my digital rebel online from circuit city
    because they gave me money back "kinda" into my Upromise for my kids
    college, but it was the same price at the LCS but they don't participate in
    Upromise. On the other handi do buy all my lenses and such from him even at
    a 5% markup cause he answers all my ?'s and cleans the lenses for me when i
    take them in and he also gives me 100's of tips on how to improve my lack of
    skills hahahhahaha.
    RacerX, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Dan Sullivan

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    "RacerX" <> wrote in message
    > I agree to an extent i bought my digital rebel online from circuit city
    > because they gave me money back "kinda" into my Upromise for my kids
    > college, but it was the same price at the LCS but they don't participate

    in
    > Upromise. On the other handi do buy all my lenses and such from him even

    at
    > a 5% markup cause he answers all my ?'s and cleans the lenses for me when

    > take them in and he also gives me 100's of tips on how to improve my lack

    of
    > skills hahahhahaha.

    That dealer needs more customers like you.

    And those hundreds of tips are worth 10%.

    Happy Holidays, Dan
    Dan Sullivan, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Dan Sullivan

    Guest

    Dan Sullivan <> wrote:
    > If you're looking to buy something... ask the manager or the owner of your
    > local camera shop if they can match the price you've seen at a legitimate
    > on-line store like B&H!

    > I'm talking about the local camera store where they take time to help you
    > with your problems and answer your questions intelligently.

    > Even if the best they can do is 10% higher... buy it from them.

    > They deserve it.

    The local camera store is pretty helpful and when I bought my Canon A20 2.5 years ago, I
    wanted to buy it from them but they never had one in stock and after waiting a few weeks I
    gave up and ordered one online.

    A friend wanted to buy a Digital rebel recently and the local store was selling them for
    list price, no discount no matter what. He bought one online and saved some money (not
    sure how much).

    The local store is helpful usually and they have given me some great deals yet sometimes
    they are stubborn on prices.

    If/when I buy my next digital camera, I will talk with them and if the price isn't too bad
    I will buy from them, but list price is too much.

    --
    David Swanger
    Office of Information Technology
  5. Dan Sullivan

    Michael Guest

    B&H? There hasn't been one instant where I've seen any good prices there.

    Michael, Dec 23, 2003
  6. "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message
    > If you're looking to buy something... ask the manager or the owner of your
    > local camera shop if they can match the price you've seen at a legitimate
    > on-line store like B&H!
    >
    > I'm talking about the local camera store where they take time to help you
    > with your problems and answer your questions intelligently.
    >
    > Even if the best they can do is 10% higher... buy it from them.
    >
    > They deserve it.

    I agree that buying from a local camera store might be worthwhile in some
    circumstances, even if one has to pay a premium to do it. The problem is
    that that premium is often substantially more than 10% higher, particularly
    when sales tax is taken into account.

    Also, and perhaps more importantly, there just aren't that many good camera
    stores around unless you live in a larger city. For me, the closest camera
    store that carries upper level equipment that I use is 120 miles away. I can
    order from B&H, Adorama etc and have such an item in my hands much quicker
    than I can arrange a trip to my "local" camera store.

    I was looking for a Nikon 70-200VR lens. B&H listed it for $1619 plus about
    $20 shipping. I priced this lens at a "local" camera store in Minneapolis
    and their price was $1799. They wouldn't budge from that price, and when I
    asked them to get closer to B&H's price, they politely said "no" and told me
    that that price from B&H would only get me a grey market lens (not true, of
    course). So, $1799 plus 6.5% sales tax = $1915 for a lens that I could buy
    from B&H for $1639 including shipping. A $275 premium for buying "local". It
    was 17% higher, and they wouldn't budge.

    And what does buying "local" get me? A four hour drive, a $275 premium and
    an "unsatisfied exchange policy" that is little different from B&H's. The
    salesman at the camera store knew less about the lens and its application
    than I did. If the lens ever needed fixing, they couldn't do it, they would
    just box it up and send it to Nikon for me. I could do that myself taking it
    to the UPS store 2 miles from my house instead of spending 4 hours on the
    road for them to do that for me.

    Additionally, I offered to exchange my almost-new 70-300ED lens. They told
    me they'd give me $90 for it on exchange. I sold that lens on ebay a week
    later for $214.

    So, for many of us buying from a camera store is a rather substantial and
    inconvient ordeal that also costs us a lot more money. It might be different
    if my "local" camera store was closer, but it's not. In touting the "buy
    local" concept, let's not forget that many of our photographic brethren
    don't live in major metropolitan areas.

    HMc
    Howard McCollister, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Dan Sullivan

    This Old Man Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > B&H? There hasn't been one instant where I've seen any good prices there.

    Word. But I buy online from them because they are the best at what they do.
    This Old Man, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Dan Sullivan

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    "Howard McCollister" <> wrote in message

    > "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message
    > > If you're looking to buy something... ask the manager or the owner of

    your
    > > local camera shop if they can match the price you've seen at a

    legitimate
    > > on-line store like B&H!
    > >
    > > I'm talking about the local camera store where they take time to help

    you
    > > with your problems and answer your questions intelligently.
    > >
    > > Even if the best they can do is 10% higher... buy it from them.
    > >
    > > They deserve it.

    > I agree that buying from a local camera store might be worthwhile in some
    > circumstances, even if one has to pay a premium to do it. The problem is
    > that that premium is often substantially more than 10% higher,

    particularly
    > when sales tax is taken into account.

    Sales tax.

    Whattsamatta?

    You don't like roads where you live?

    > Also, and perhaps more importantly, there just aren't that many good

    camera
    > stores around unless you live in a larger city. For me, the closest camera
    > store that carries upper level equipment that I use is 120 miles away. I

    can
    > order from B&H, Adorama etc and have such an item in my hands much quicker
    > than I can arrange a trip to my "local" camera store.

    So you're an exception.

    > I was looking for a Nikon 70-200VR lens. B&H listed it for $1619 plus

    about
    > $20 shipping. I priced this lens at a "local" camera store in Minneapolis
    > and their price was $1799. They wouldn't budge from that price, and when I
    > asked them to get closer to B&H's price, they politely said "no" and told

    me
    > that that price from B&H would only get me a grey market lens (not true,

    of
    > course). So, $1799 plus 6.5% sales tax = $1915 for a lens that I could buy
    > from B&H for $1639 including shipping. A $275 premium for buying "local".

    It
    > was 17% higher, and they wouldn't budge.

    Their loss.

    > And what does buying "local" get me? A four hour drive, a $275 premium and
    > an "unsatisfied exchange policy" that is little different from B&H's. The
    > salesman at the camera store knew less about the lens and its application
    > than I did. If the lens ever needed fixing, they couldn't do it, they

    would
    > just box it up and send it to Nikon for me. I could do that myself taking

    it
    > to the UPS store 2 miles from my house instead of spending 4 hours on the
    > road for them to do that for me.

    You're beating a dead horse.

    > Additionally, I offered to exchange my almost-new 70-300ED lens. They told
    > me they'd give me $90 for it on exchange. I sold that lens on ebay a week
    > later for $214.

    They were gonna sell it for $180 and hope it wouldn't require service.

    They do need a profit to stay in business.

    > So, for many of us buying from a camera store is a rather substantial and
    > inconvient ordeal that also costs us a lot more money. It might be

    different
    > if my "local" camera store was closer, but it's not. In touting the "buy
    > local" concept, let's not forget that many of our photographic brethren
    > don't live in major metropolitan areas.

    I'm just suggesting 10% more is worth it.

    If you don't HAVE a local camera store... wanna open one?

    Have fun, Dan
    Dan Sullivan, Dec 23, 2003
  9. Dan Sullivan

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message

    > B&H? There hasn't been one instant where I've seen any good prices there.

    Compared to what other dealer?

    B&H is one of the most reputable and competitively priced stores in the
    world.

    Dan
    Dan Sullivan, Dec 23, 2003
  10. Dan Sullivan

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Dan Sullivan <> wrote:
    > > If you're looking to buy something... ask the manager or the owner of

    your
    > > local camera shop if they can match the price you've seen at a

    legitimate
    > > on-line store like B&H!

    > > I'm talking about the local camera store where they take time to help

    you
    > > with your problems and answer your questions intelligently.

    > > Even if the best they can do is 10% higher... buy it from them.

    > > They deserve it.

    > The local camera store is pretty helpful and when I bought my Canon A20

    2.5 years ago, I
    > wanted to buy it from them but they never had one in stock and after

    waiting a few weeks I
    > gave up and ordered one online.

    Did ya ask them to get one for you?

    > A friend wanted to buy a Digital rebel recently and the local store was

    selling them for
    > list price, no discount no matter what. He bought one online and saved

    some money (not
    > sure how much).
    >
    > The local store is helpful usually and they have given me some great deals

    yet sometimes
    > they are stubborn on prices.

    Sometimes you gotta give 'em a nudge.

    > If/when I buy my next digital camera, I will talk with them and if the

    price isn't too bad
    > I will buy from them, but list price is too much.

    No argument from me.

    Happy Holidays, Dan
    Dan Sullivan, Dec 23, 2003
  11. Dan Sullivan

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <3fe872b1$0$50425$>,
    "Howard McCollister" <> wrote:

    > particularly
    > when sales tax is taken into account.

    While you might not agree - many states impose a Use Tax. That means
    that if you purchase something from a dealer a did not pay "Sales" tax
    you are obligated to declare that to the state and pay the tax yourself.

    Here in NJ they ask you to declare and pay it with your state Income Tax
    payment.

    What is the law in MN?

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Dec 23, 2003
  12. "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message

    > So you're an exception.

    I don't know about your state, but demographics and camera-store
    distribution in mine indicate that that is probably not true.

    > I'm just suggesting 10% more is worth it.

    "10% more" relative to that purchase is $170. Rather than thinking in terms
    of percentage, ask yourself if it's worth paying $170 to subject yourself to
    the substantial incovenience and negligible upside (in my particular case).
    I decided "not".

    HMc
    Howard McCollister, Dec 23, 2003
  13. Dan Sullivan

    > "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > So you're an exception.

    > I don't know about your state, but demographics and camera-store
    > distribution in mine indicate that that is probably not true.

    OK

    > > I'm just suggesting 10% more is worth it.

    > "10% more" relative to that purchase is $170. Rather than thinking in

    terms
    > of percentage, ask yourself if it's worth paying $170 to subject yourself

    > the substantial incovenience and negligible upside (in my particular

    case).
    > I decided "not".

    A fair decision.

    If ya have a good local camera store at least give 'em a chance at the sale.

    Dan
    Dan Sullivan, Dec 23, 2003
  14. "Bob Salomon" <> wrote in message
    > In article <3fe872b1$0$50425$>,
    > "Howard McCollister" <> wrote:
    >
    > > particularly
    > > when sales tax is taken into account.

    > While you might not agree - many states impose a Use Tax. That means
    > that if you purchase something from a dealer a did not pay "Sales" tax
    > you are obligated to declare that to the state and pay the tax yourself.
    >
    > Here in NJ they ask you to declare and pay it with your state Income Tax
    > payment.
    >
    > What is the law in MN?

    In Minnesota, the state can't force a business to collect sales tax from the
    consumer unless that business actually has a physical presence in the state.
    However, in those instances of purchase from out-of-state vendors where
    sales tax is not collected (catalogue and internet, for example), the
    purchaser does technically owe 6.5% Use Tax on those purchases. Businesses
    often actually pay that, and the compliance is between 50% and 95% depending
    on the type and size of business. For private consumers, the Use Tax
    collection rate is virtually zero and so far has been determined to be
    unenforceable. The state has absolutley no practical way of tracking
    purchases from non-Minnesota vendors. My accountant tells me that there has
    never been a Sales Tax audit of a private individual in Minnesota, but such
    audits are not uncommon for businesses, and they can be painful.

    I have no doubt that that will change as internet purchasing becomes bigger
    and bigger. States are facing progressivley more revenue loss in this area,
    and I suspect it won't be long before Minnesota "takes steps" along with
    many other states in the same boat to try to capture that lost revenue. When
    the economy was booming, it was much less of an issue and ignored by the
    state.

    The short answer, then: technically we owe it, practically, we don't pay it.
    If we did, it would certainly level the playing field for a wide variety of
    local vendors, such as camera stores. I doubt it's likely to happen anytime
    soon, however.

    HMc
    Howard McCollister, Dec 23, 2003
  15. "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message

    > If ya have a good local camera store at least give 'em a chance at the

    sale.

    I agree with that completely. And if I did, I would.

    HMc
    Howard McCollister, Dec 23, 2003
  16. Dan Sullivan

    Guest

    > <> wrote in message

    > > The local camera store is pretty helpful and when I bought my Canon A20

    > 2.5 years ago, I
    > > wanted to buy it from them but they never had one in stock and after

    > waiting a few weeks I
    > > gave up and ordered one online.

    > Did ya ask them to get one for you?

    I told a friend who works there I wanted to buy one and I would buy one from them
    if they could get me one by a certain date which was about a month away. Long
    story short, they never had one in stock during that time and I finally gave up.
    I wanted to have one in time for a trip I was going to take.

    --
    David Swanger
    Office of Information Technology
    Auburn University, AL
    , Dec 23, 2003
  17. Dan Sullivan

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > > <> wrote in message

    > > > The local camera store is pretty helpful and when I bought my Canon

    A20
    > > 2.5 years ago, I
    > > > wanted to buy it from them but they never had one in stock and after

    > > waiting a few weeks I
    > > > gave up and ordered one online.

    > > Did ya ask them to get one for you?

    > I told a friend who works there I wanted to buy one and I would buy one

    from them
    > if they could get me one by a certain date which was about a month away.

    Long
    > story short, they never had one in stock during that time and I finally

    gave up.
    > I wanted to have one in time for a trip I was going to take.

    My hats off to you for trying.

    Happy Holidays, Dan
    Dan Sullivan, Dec 23, 2003
  18. Dan Sullivan

    Rick Guest

    "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message news:%6ZFb.381458$...
    > If you're looking to buy something... ask the manager or the owner of your
    > local camera shop if they can match the price you've seen at a legitimate
    > on-line store like B&H!
    >
    > I'm talking about the local camera store where they take time to help you
    > with your problems and answer your questions intelligently.
    >
    > Even if the best they can do is 10% higher... buy it from them.
    >
    > They deserve it.
    >
    > Happy Holidays, Dan Sullivan

    Earlier this year we were looking for a Canon teleconverter for
    our A40. San Jose Camera was the only local store to have it
    in stock, so we went there and asked to see one. The salesguy
    handed us a Canon box and said if we opened it, we had to
    buy it (the box was not sealed in any way). Honest to God,
    we thought he was kidding and we laughed in his face. He got
    so upset his face turned red and he yelled at us, "I'm NOT
    joking!!".

    We had brought our camera with us and simply wanted to see
    if the vignetting problem with this teleconverter was as bad as
    we'd heard, but the salesman wasn't the slightest bit interested
    in helping. He just kept repeating like a robot -- "if you open a
    box, it's yours". Oh, and their return policy? They don't have
    one. You buy it. It's yours. End of story.

    Forget the fact these idiots were $40 higher than most online
    sources, we didn't care for his store's policies or his attitude
    toward us. So we said "no thanks" and walked out.

    If this is the kind of "help" you're referring to with local
    dealers, we'll be glad to see them go out of business.

    Rick
    Rick, Dec 23, 2003
  19. Dan Sullivan

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    > > If you're looking to buy something... ask the manager or the owner of

    your
    > > local camera shop if they can match the price you've seen at a

    legitimate
    > > on-line store like B&H!
    > >
    > > I'm talking about the local camera store where they take time to help

    you
    > > with your problems and answer your questions intelligently.
    > >
    > > Even if the best they can do is 10% higher... buy it from them.
    > >
    > > They deserve it.
    > >
    > > Happy Holidays, Dan Sullivan

    > Earlier this year we were looking for a Canon teleconverter for
    > our A40. San Jose Camera was the only local store to have it
    > in stock, so we went there and asked to see one. The salesguy
    > handed us a Canon box and said if we opened it, we had to
    > buy it (the box was not sealed in any way). Honest to God,
    > we thought he was kidding and we laughed in his face. He got
    > so upset his face turned red and he yelled at us, "I'm NOT
    > joking!!".
    >
    > We had brought our camera with us and simply wanted to see
    > if the vignetting problem with this teleconverter was as bad as
    > we'd heard, but the salesman wasn't the slightest bit interested
    > in helping. He just kept repeating like a robot -- "if you open a
    > box, it's yours". Oh, and their return policy? They don't have
    > one. You buy it. It's yours. End of story.
    >
    > Forget the fact these idiots were $40 higher than most online
    > sources, we didn't care for his store's policies or his attitude
    > toward us. So we said "no thanks" and walked out.
    >
    > If this is the kind of "help" you're referring to with local
    > dealers, we'll be glad to see them go out of business.

    "...where they take time to help you with your problems and answer your
    questions intelligently" is what I wrote.

    What you wrote certainly woudn't qualify as "help."
    Dan Sullivan, Dec 23, 2003
  20. Dan Sullivan

    Mark B. Guest

    > If you're looking to buy something... ask the manager or the owner of your
    > local camera shop if they can match the price you've seen at a legitimate
    > on-line store like B&H!
    >
    > I'm talking about the local camera store where they take time to help you
    > with your problems and answer your questions intelligently.
    >
    > Even if the best they can do is 10% higher... buy it from them.
    >
    > They deserve it.

    No, they don't. There isn't a local store 'round here that has the
    selection & inventory that B&H has. Or, they have to order it and I'll
    still have ended up paying more than getting it shipped from B&H.

    Mark
    Mark B., Dec 24, 2003