your light set up for head shots

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by picture taker, May 21, 2006.

  1. ive read alot of tutorials and been trying to learn the best i can
    about how to best position your lights /reflectors etc .

    i do a dance studio every year with my two alien bees 1600 strobes(1
    main 1 fill) with softboxes and that is realy the only time (due to
    lack of space and time) i get to work with the lights except for doing
    class reunions large groups indoors ill use the bees .

    i am looking to offer more options to the parents and think it may go
    over well ,but im just not having the kind of success i would like
    trying to set up the lights in my house .

    ive been reading tutorials by chris burfoot and found them really
    helpfull .

    i was trying to go with the main light to the right of the person and
    a reflector on the left side i also could go with buying another alien
    bee 400 to go with the one i already have ,1 main, 1 fill.

    i have done some tight shots(shoulders up laying on floor etc) last
    year using the basic set up for full portraits and they came out good .

    i could just do that again but thought it would add to the shoot to
    have them go to another area and get a head shot portrait , meaning i
    would have to buy (im open for suggestions) another strobe ,a posing
    stool , posing table, maybe a grid and maybe another light for the grid
    for hair light ,i have an extra backdrop would probaly just hang it no
    need to buy more poles to set it up . hmm am i mising anything here
    anybody /suggestions / EXPERIENCE !

    tia
    --
    photographyguy
    picture taker, May 21, 2006

  2. ANYONE ?

    picture taker, May 21, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    picture taker <> wrote:

    > i do a dance studio every year with my two alien bees 1600 strobes(1
    > main 1 fill) with softboxes and that is realy the only time (due to
    > lack of space and time) i get to work with the lights except for doing
    > class reunions large groups indoors ill use the bees .

    Basically, you want to nail down the lights (not literally, of course).
    Figure out a setup that's repeatable, because you'll be running people
    through like cattle.

    I'd recommend one light about 45-degrees off-camera (which side doesn't
    matter) and another light at half the intensity (same distance) right
    next to the camera. Both lights should be on the same side as the
    camera - no cross lighting. It's as simple as that. Forget the
    hairlight and anything else. It just complicates things and you'll have
    to adjust it for every person/group. A medium f/stop of about f/8 or so
    should take care of any DOF issues from people not being exactly on the
    mark.
    Randall Ainsworth, May 21, 2006