    Mine is 13.23 years, First recorded presence on the net was Feb 18 1991
    (as per Google groups)

    So how *Internet old* are others on this group.

    Collector, May 11, 2004

  2. Collector

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 23:09:24 +1200, Collector <> wrote:

    >Its a slow day still
    >
    >Take the earliest recorded date you can find that your presence is
    >recorded on the internet and use that as your internet birth date.
    >
    >Mine is 13.23 years, First recorded presence on the net was Feb 18 1991
    >(as per Google groups)
    >
    >So how *Internet old* are others on this group.

    My first one on Google is 26 Dec 1991, I was on a read-only system before that.
    I'm in it 7200 times since then :)

    Quite scary reading all the old stuff, I don't like me 13 years ago! lol

    Craig Shore, May 11, 2004

  3. Collector

    Collector Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    >On Tue, 11 May 2004 23:09:24 +1200, Collector <> wrote:
    >

    >>Its a slow day still
    >>
    >>Take the earliest recorded date you can find that your presence is
    >>recorded on the internet and use that as your internet birth date.
    >>
    >>Mine is 13.23 years, First recorded presence on the net was Feb 18 1991
    >>(as per Google groups)
    >>
    >>So how *Internet old* are others on this group.
    >>

    >My first one on Google is 26 Dec 1991, I was on a read-only system before that.
    >I'm in it 7200 times since then :)
    >
    >Quite scary reading all the old stuff, I don't like me 13 years ago! lol

    The scary part will be if no one else comes up with an older age that
    13 :-(

    I started out accessing via KCBBS; David Dixs system which had Usegroup
    access way back then via a link with Auckland nUni IIRC.

    Collector, May 11, 2004
  4. Collector

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Collector <> wrote in news:40a0b543$1
    @news.orcon.net.nz:

    > Its a slow day still
    >
    > Take the earliest recorded date you can find that your presence is
    > recorded on the internet and use that as your internet birth date.
    >
    > Mine is 13.23 years, First recorded presence on the net was Feb 18 1991
    > (as per Google groups)
    >
    > So how *Internet old* are others on this group.

    I can't remember the handle I used on the BBS's in Vancouver, circa 1985
    or 1986 and that info is not on Google. Maybe it is, I can't be bothered
    searching for it. I do remember the day the 1200 Baud modem came into
    the house to replace the 300 hooked up the the C64. I could actually
    download text faster than I could read it! Using Dad's dial up account I
    could go to places like CERN and read science papers. That was so cool
    to me, but my friends just liked the games on the C64. Later, the 286
    came into the house with Dos3 on an MFM-RLL drive. Boy, did Spinrite
    speed that baby up with proper interleaving. We had a pre MS Windows GUI
    for a while. Then Windows version 3 with trumpet winsock and NCSA Mosiac
    was just so much better than Lynx. Later, Netscape made it an enjoyable
    surf, not that we called it surfing at the time. I remember using
    Fractint and letting the pc take a few days to generate fractals of what
    can now be done in about 10 seconds...
    I think the Google contests like this only count News posts, and as such
    the contest is weighted to people who were doing mainframe admin at the
    time.
    My 2C
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 11, 2004
  5. On Tue, 11 May 2004 12:00:13 +0000, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > Collector <> wrote in news:40a0b543$1
    > @news.orcon.net.nz:
    >
    >> Its a slow day still
    >>
    >> Take the earliest recorded date you can find that your presence is
    >> recorded on the internet and use that as your internet birth date.
    >>
    >> Mine is 13.23 years, First recorded presence on the net was Feb 18 1991
    >> (as per Google groups)
    >>
    >> So how *Internet old* are others on this group.
    >>

    > I can't remember the handle I used on the BBS's in Vancouver, circa 1985
    > or 1986 and that info is not on Google. Maybe it is, I can't be bothered
    > searching for it. I do remember the day the 1200 Baud modem came into
    > the house to replace the 300 hooked up the the C64. I could actually
    > download text faster than I could read it! Using Dad's dial up account I
    > could go to places like CERN and read science papers. That was so cool
    > to me, but my friends just liked the games on the C64. Later, the 286
    > came into the house with Dos3 on an MFM-RLL drive. Boy, did Spinrite
    > speed that baby up with proper interleaving. We had a pre MS Windows GUI
    > for a while. Then Windows version 3 with trumpet winsock and NCSA Mosiac
    > was just so much better than Lynx. Later, Netscape made it an enjoyable
    > surf, not that we called it surfing at the time. I remember using
    > Fractint and letting the pc take a few days to generate fractals of what
    > can now be done in about 10 seconds...
    > I think the Google contests like this only count News posts, and as such
    > the contest is weighted to people who were doing mainframe admin at the
    > time.
    > My 2C
    > Ciao, Dave

    I can beat that. I was breaking into the ARPA Net (the precursor of the
    Internet) as early as 1970. It was pretty easy to do then. Security was
    lax and they left a lot of well known holes.

    Mark

    Mark Bondurant, May 11, 2004
  6. On Tue, 11 May 2004 23:09:24 +1200, Collector
    <> wrote:

    >Its a slow day still
    >
    >Take the earliest recorded date you can find that your presence is
    >recorded on the internet and use that as your internet birth date.
    >
    >Mine is 13.23 years, First recorded presence on the net was Feb 18 1991
    >(as per Google groups)
    >
    >So how *Internet old* are others on this group.

    I beat you by a few days. :) As far as I can tell my first recorded
    presence on the net was Jan 30 1991. I was posting as
    I think that was my first addy :)

    Karen Hayward-King

    --

    Karen Hayward-King

    'I myself have never been able to find out precisely what
    feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist
    whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from
    a doormat.'
    Rebecca West

    Karen Hayward-King, May 11, 2004
  7. Collector

    philip Guest

    Karen Hayward-King wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 May 2004 23:09:24 +1200, Collector
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Its a slow day still
    >>
    >>Take the earliest recorded date you can find that your presence is
    >>recorded on the internet and use that as your internet birth date.
    >>
    >>Mine is 13.23 years, First recorded presence on the net was Feb 18 1991
    >>(as per Google groups)
    >>
    >>So how *Internet old* are others on this group.
    >>

    > I beat you by a few days. :) As far as I can tell my first recorded
    > presence on the net was Jan 30 1991. I was posting as
    > I think that was my first addy :)

    Are we counting domains like FidoNet, Prestel or Microlink here?

    Philip

    philip, May 11, 2004
  8. On Tue, 11 May 2004 17:48:35 GMT, philip <>
    wrote:

    >Karen Hayward-King wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 11 May 2004 23:09:24 +1200, Collector
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Its a slow day still
    >>>
    >>>Take the earliest recorded date you can find that your presence is
    >>>recorded on the internet and use that as your internet birth date.
    >>>
    >>>Mine is 13.23 years, First recorded presence on the net was Feb 18 1991
    >>>(as per Google groups)
    >>>
    >>>So how *Internet old* are others on this group.
    >>>

    >> I beat you by a few days. :) As far as I can tell my first recorded
    >> presence on the net was Jan 30 1991. I was posting as
    >> I think that was my first addy :)

    >Are we counting domains like FidoNet, Prestel or Microlink here?

    Don't know.....but I think I was on Fidonet. :) I could probably go
    back to the late 80's if you started counting membership of a BBS. :)

    Karen Hayward-King, May 11, 2004
  9. Collector

    XPD Guest

    "Collector" <> wrote in message
    > Its a slow day still
    >
    > Take the earliest recorded date you can find that your presence is
    > recorded on the internet and use that as your internet birth date.
    >
    > Mine is 13.23 years, First recorded presence on the net was Feb 18 1991
    > (as per Google groups)
    >
    > So how *Internet old* are others on this group.

    Approx 8yrs here.... feels like longer :) Before that, about 3 years on
    BBS's

    XPD, May 11, 2004
  10. Collector wrote:
    > Mine is 13.23 years, First recorded presence on the net was Feb 18 1991
    > (as per Google groups)
    > So how *Internet old* are others on this group.

    17 July 1998... two days after I got my net connection, I found usenet.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 11, 2004
  11. Collector

    Tarla Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 12:00:13 GMT, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >Collector <> wrote in news:40a0b543$1
    >@news.orcon.net.nz:
    >
    >> Its a slow day still
    >>
    >> Take the earliest recorded date you can find that your presence is
    >> recorded on the internet and use that as your internet birth date.
    >>
    >> Mine is 13.23 years, First recorded presence on the net was Feb 18 1991
    >> (as per Google groups)
    >>
    >> So how *Internet old* are others on this group.

    By searching Google, I can find a post from Sept. '94, but I was
    online for three years before that...so I'm about as old as you are.

    --
    Tarla
    ****

    --Mark Twain

    Tarla, May 11, 2004
  12. Collector

    Tarla Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 10:59:23 -0700, Karen Hayward-King
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 11 May 2004 17:48:35 GMT, philip <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Karen Hayward-King wrote:

    >>> I beat you by a few days. :) As far as I can tell my first recorded
    >>> presence on the net was Jan 30 1991. I was posting as
    >>> I think that was my first addy :)

    >>Are we counting domains like FidoNet, Prestel or Microlink here?

    >Don't know.....but I think I was on Fidonet. :) I could probably go
    >back to the late 80's if you started counting membership of a BBS. :)

    Same here. I was part of the original Sierra Network. Nothing else has
    ever come close to their system.

    --
    Tarla
    ****

    Tarla, May 11, 2004
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> Mine is 13.23 years, First recorded presence on the net was Feb 18
    >> 1991 (as per Google groups)
    >> So how *Internet old* are others on this group.

    > 17 July 1998... two days after I got my net connection, I found usenet.

    oh yeah... I got my pc the same day as my girlfriend of the time(now my
    wife), and so thats what I remember... it was ~5:30 that first logged
    on, just after finishing peeling the potatoes for tea :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 11, 2004
  14. Well my first internet presence (unfortunately not backed up by
    Google) was about 1991 when I built a national email/fax gateway that
    included internet email. This ran on QNX and supported 16 concurrent
    users with a "dial-out" feature that alowed people in AK to dial-up
    other BBSes in Wellington (and vice-versa) without incurring toll
    charges (and toll charges were enormous back then).

    A few years later I set up a web-presence for this service at a time
    when you could almost count the number of commercial .nz websites on
    the fingers of one hand.

    My first online system however, was one I set up in Rotorua back in
    1981 or 82 (from memory) running on an Epson QX-10 CPM machine.

    And around 1986-87 I set up a mult-user BBS (one of the *very* first
    multi-user BBSs) written in Modula 2 that ran for a while when I lived
    in Auckland.

    Oh, I feel so old :)

    Bruce Simpson, May 12, 2004
  15. Collector

    Tarla Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 09:09:12 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Collector wrote:
    >> Mine is 13.23 years, First recorded presence on the net was Feb 18 1991
    >> (as per Google groups)
    >> So how *Internet old* are others on this group.

    >17 July 1998... two days after I got my net connection, I found usenet.

    My birthday!
    --
    Tarla
    ****

    Tarla, May 12, 2004
  16. Collector

    bodger Guest

    "Tarla" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 09:09:12 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Collector wrote:
    > >> Mine is 13.23 years, First recorded presence on the net was Feb 18 1991
    > >> (as per Google groups)
    > >> So how *Internet old* are others on this group.

    > >17 July 1998... two days after I got my net connection, I found usenet.

    > My birthday!
    > --

    So you're coming up to your 6th birthday? Shouldn't you be at school?

    bodger, May 12, 2004
  17. In nz.general Collector <> wrote:
    > Its a slow day still

    > Take the earliest recorded date you can find that your presence is
    > recorded on the internet and use that as your internet birth date.

    > Mine is 13.23 years, First recorded presence on the net was Feb 18 1991
    > (as per Google groups)

    > So how *Internet old* are others on this group.

    5th June 1990 for me, so I'm almost 14.

    --
    Burn the land and boil the sea,
    You can't take the sky from me.

    Geoff McCaughan, May 12, 2004
  18. In nz.general philip <> wrote:

    > Are we counting domains like FidoNet, Prestel or Microlink here?

    If we counted those, I'd be 21.

    Geoff McCaughan, May 12, 2004
  19. Collector

    Steven H Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 09:09:12 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Collector wrote:
    >> Mine is 13.23 years, First recorded presence on the net was Feb 18 1991
    >> (as per Google groups)
    >> So how *Internet old* are others on this group.

    > 17 July 1998... two days after I got my net connection, I found usenet.

    18 Aug 1998, alias Smorf

    Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic

    ..net Geek

    Steven H, May 12, 2004
  20. Collector

    Collector Guest

    philip wrote:

    > Karen Hayward-King wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 11 May 2004 23:09:24 +1200, Collector
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Its a slow day still
    >>>
    >>> Take the earliest recorded date you can find that your presence is
    >>> recorded on the internet and use that as your internet birth date.
    >>>
    >>> Mine is 13.23 years, First recorded presence on the net was Feb 18
    >>> 1991 (as per Google groups)
    >>>
    >>> So how *Internet old* are others on this group.
    >>>

    >> I beat you by a few days. :) As far as I can tell my first recorded
    >> presence on the net was Jan 30 1991. I was posting as
    >> I think that was my first addy :)

    > Are we counting domains like FidoNet, Prestel or Microlink here?
    >
    > Philip

    If they show in Google yes

    Collector, May 12, 2004