    Would be interested in opinions on the most interesting/useful.

    Cheers,

    John S

    John S., Mar 10, 2005

  2. On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:45:01 +0000, John S. wrote:

    > I've been asked to choose a computer magazine to receive
    > (12 month subscription) for my birhtday.
    >
    > There's a bewildering array in the bookstores.
    >
    > Would be interested in opinions on the most interesting/useful.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    first off... porns better on the web ;)
    now thats out of the way I used to be a pc world man myself.. i say used
    to be because they no longer cover anything interesting.. and no more
    movie trailers on cd (this is irrelevant for adsl users but a big deal
    when I was on 56k)
    that and the games on their cd _never_ worked for me :(

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 10, 2005

  3. On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:45:01 GMT, (John S.) wrote:

    >I've been asked to choose a computer magazine to receive
    >(12 month subscription) for my birhtday.
    >
    >There's a bewildering array in the bookstores.
    >
    >Would be interested in opinions on the most interesting/useful.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >John S

    You have to decide, No one can decide for it and what your interest are.

    To Many Variables..

    Some Mags are $8 per monthly issue and some are $37..

    Go Into a GOOD Mag shop and look, ie one that has every thing, Not PP or
    Whitcouls
    ..

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 10, 2005
  4. (John S.) wrote in

    > I've been asked to choose a computer magazine to receive
    > (12 month subscription) for my birhtday.

    Why not save some trees? (and some money)

    https://www.sdmediagroup.com/reg/?site=www.ddj.com

    Will allow an online subscription to DrDobbs Journal, BYTE.com and
    others.
    There is also a free for 6 months membership (to try it).

    Mark

    Mark Cranness, Mar 10, 2005
  5. NZ PC world for me, at least it has "some" local content!

    Otis E Levator, Mar 10, 2005
  6. On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:28:20 +1300, "Otis E Levator" <>
    wrote:

    >NZ PC world for me, at least it has "some" local content!

    Utter Crap..

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 10, 2005
  7. John S.

    Dave Taylor Guest

    (John S.) wrote in news:422fde02.70683
    @news.paradise.net.nz:

    > I've been asked to choose a computer magazine to receive
    > (12 month subscription) for my birhtday.
    >
    > There's a bewildering array in the bookstores.
    >
    > Would be interested in opinions on the most interesting/useful.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    The best Computer Mag I ever had a sub to was :
    Network Computing.
    I really liked the articles as they were vendor neutral.
    They try to tourture test product and tell you if it failed.
    I really miss it, and the online version is not as good. Actually, this
    whole online version of a magazine just does not work for me.
    Get the printed version of whatever you go for.
    http://www.networkcomputing.com/

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 10, 2005
  8. John S.

    Daniel Guest

    John S. wrote:
    > I've been asked to choose a computer magazine to receive
    > (12 month subscription) for my birhtday.
    >
    > There's a bewildering array in the bookstores.
    >
    > Would be interested in opinions on the most interesting/useful.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    I get Australian PC User mag (also a birthday gift - what to buy for the
    computer-obsessed son-in-law that isn't too far over $100).

    I've got a few APC mags, and the odd PC Authority (and NZ PC World).

    I'd definitely say PC User, solely because it has the better CD
    compilations - seriously, they're not too bad (of course if you're a
    pirate then that basically mutes that advantage).
    It has the occasional interesting how-to article, although on occasion
    their hardware reviews can be a tad suspect.

    Daniel, Mar 10, 2005
  9. John S.

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:45:01 GMT, (John S.) wrote:

    >I've been asked to choose a computer magazine to receive
    >(12 month subscription) for my birhtday.
    >
    >There's a bewildering array in the bookstores.
    >
    >Would be interested in opinions on the most interesting/useful.

    Usually I buy PC Authority (Australian) if it looks like there is anything
    interesting in it. I used to buy NZ PC World years ago, but it got boring and
    lacking in content.

    This month I got a copy of PC User, also Australian, which is pretty good too.
    Half of it was adverts, but that isn't too bad as you get to see lots of colour
    pictures of all the toys available.

    Craig Shore, Mar 10, 2005
  10. John S.

    S Roby Guest

    Atomic Magazine
    APC
    PC Authority

    These 3 are Australian & the best??? of a rather poor bunch(just an opinon)
    Most mags just rehash the same info over & over, the reviews
    are often questionable. A mag may give a product a reasoanble review & then
    just rubbish the same product a year later (WinME, Early versions of system
    works for example)

    CD's on all mags have less than up to date software(must take a while to get
    the CD pressed)

    Id go for Atomic. At least its a more entertaining read, doesnt take things
    too seriously.
    Maybee go & buy one issue & see what you think.

    S Roby, Mar 10, 2005
  11. John S.

    C9H8O4 Guest

    "John S." <> wrote in message
    > I've been asked to choose a computer magazine to receive
    > (12 month subscription) for my birhtday.
    >
    > There's a bewildering array in the bookstores.
    >
    > Would be interested in opinions on the most interesting/useful.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    APC is pretty good, good cover CD's too
    NZ PC World suffers from smart-arse writers and is, at best, average
    Wired is great but not really a "computer magazine"
    Make Magazine looks good if you're into high-tech DIY
    http://make.oreilly.com/
    Byte magazine was always a good read but I'm not sure it still exists on
    paper http://www.byte.com/

    Sure, everybody wants to save trees but nothing beats getting a magazine in
    the mail :)

    C9H8O4, Mar 10, 2005
  12. John S.

    steve Guest

    John S. wrote:
    > I've been asked to choose a computer magazine to receive
    > (12 month subscription) for my birhtday.
    >
    > There's a bewildering array in the bookstores.
    >
    > Would be interested in opinions on the most interesting/useful.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    Linux Journal.......of course. :)

    steve, Mar 10, 2005
  13. John S.

    Eric Guest

    GAL, I don't know why I get it each month,

    APC Australian personnel computer used to be bloody good a couple of years
    ago but it turned to shit.

    Eric, Mar 10, 2005
  14. John S.

    ~misfit~ Guest

    John S. wrote:
    > I've been asked to choose a computer magazine to receive
    > (12 month subscription) for my birhtday.
    >
    > There's a bewildering array in the bookstores.
    >
    > Would be interested in opinions on the most interesting/useful.

    Hi John,

    I'd have to say, in my experience, and in order of preference:

    NZ PC World
    PC User (Aus)
    PC Authority (Aus)
    APC (Aus)

    I like NZ PC world for several reasons. The mags are all the same to a
    certain extent but NZ PC World has competitions you can actually enter, has
    local info and is a general, all-round good read. Plus buy buying it you are
    supporting the NZ economy and employing local journos.

    PC User has the better Cover CDs but do you want a mag or CDs? It's also a
    good read, although (obviously) Australian soa lot of the pricing etc isn't
    relevant.

    The other two mags I rarely buy as I don't have the money. To put it another
    way, I've not missed more than a half-dozen copies of NZ PC World since
    1995. If I have the money spare and see it available I'll but PC User. In
    the extremely rare case where I have both the current aforementioned and
    still have axtra money to spend on magazines I'll get either of the other
    two, whichever looks the best that month. In general PC Authority I find
    disappointing. All ads and not much sibstance. The only reason APC is last
    on my list is I only bought it once so don't have arepresentative sample.

    All IMO of course. Happy birthday BTW.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 10, 2005
  15. John S.

    anon k Guest

    John S. wrote:
    > I've been asked to choose a computer magazine to receive
    > (12 month subscription) for my birhtday.
    >
    > There's a bewildering array in the bookstores.
    >
    > Would be interested in opinions on the most interesting/useful.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    What do you want to read about?

    anon k, Mar 10, 2005
  16. Once there were excellent computer magazines that catered for people
    whose real unterests were computers and programming .

    Sadly they deteriorated into computers *as a tool for money
    grubbers* type magazines or went out of existence.

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Mar 10, 2005
  17. John S.

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:45:01 +0000, John S. wrote:

    > I've been asked to choose a computer magazine to receive (12 month
    > subscription) for my birhtday.
    >
    > There's a bewildering array in the bookstores.
    >
    > Would be interested in opinions on the most interesting/useful.

    Sinclair User.

    Typing in those 3 page listings of hex code is a fantastic way to spend a
    few evenings ;)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 10, 2005
  18. John S.

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:45:01 GMT, (John S.) wrote:

    >I've been asked to choose a computer magazine to receive
    >(12 month subscription) for my birhtday.
    >
    >There's a bewildering array in the bookstores.
    >
    >Would be interested in opinions on the most interesting/useful.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >John S

    Atomic. Entertaining read, & A bit more Techo

    Bob, Mar 10, 2005
  19. John S.

    Duncan Bayne Guest

    (John S.) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I've been asked to choose a computer magazine to receive
    > (12 month subscription) for my birhtday.
    >
    > There's a bewildering array in the bookstores.
    >
    > Would be interested in opinions on the most interesting/useful.

    Are you a programmer? If so, I can heartily endorse Dr. Dobbs Journal.

    Duncan Bayne, Mar 10, 2005
  20. John S.

    Jay Guest

    "John S." <> wrote in message
    > I've been asked to choose a computer magazine to receive
    > (12 month subscription) for my birhtday.
    >
    > There's a bewildering array in the bookstores.
    >
    > Would be interested in opinions on the most interesting/useful.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    Depends what you want to read about....
    If you want basic stuff combined with "top 10 laser office printers
    reviewed" then PC World may be your thing.
    If you want to read about the industry as a whole (with telephone
    communications) along with some developer articles then Computerworld may
    suit.
    If you are into gaming then you have, as you say, a vast array of offerings.

    I get (at work) Computerworld and MSDN Magazine.
    At home I get MSDN Aus/NZ edition - free if you are a member

    Jay

    Jay, Mar 11, 2005