Your Favorite Foreign Films?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by DVDfanatico, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico Guest

    Which foreign films (from any region) do you recommend?

    I love:
    The Vanishing: A 5-star movie in Dutch and French that's got a Criterion
    (www.criterionco.com) edition. MUST-SEE suspense film. Don't watch the
    American version.

    Der Blaue Engel. This old B&W German film also has an English-language
    counterpart on the same disc but watch the original German language first.
    They're very similar but the German is MUCH better. I t has a certain je ne
    sais qua. This romance is SO SAD. You'll be in tears by the end. BUY this
    film. Works best on a projection TV.

    Any Roberto Benigni movie:
    La Vita e Bella
    The Monster (hilarious)
    Johnny Stecchino (also hilarious)
    Night on Earth (takes place in five cities and has a really good Winona Ryder
    short and an unforgettable sad story that takes place in Helsinki).

    Picnic at Hanging Rock. If you like slow movies and Bach music you'll love
    this Australian film.

    Any John Woo flim if you love intense action.

    My Life to Live (Vivre sa vie) Anna Karina is electric. Unforgettable!

    Please share your recommendations.

    -DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico, Feb 15, 2004

  2. DVDfanatico

    jgb Guest

    "DVDfanatico" <> wrote in message
    > Which foreign films (from any region) do you recommend?
    >
    > I love:
    > The Vanishing: A 5-star movie in Dutch and French that's got a Criterion
    > (www.criterionco.com) edition. MUST-SEE suspense film. Don't watch the
    > American version.
    >
    > Der Blaue Engel. This old B&W German film also has an English-language
    > counterpart on the same disc but watch the original German language first.
    > They're very similar but the German is MUCH better. I t has a certain je

    ne
    > sais qua. This romance is SO SAD. You'll be in tears by the end. BUY

    this
    > film. Works best on a projection TV.
    >
    > Any Roberto Benigni movie:
    > La Vita e Bella
    > The Monster (hilarious)
    > Johnny Stecchino (also hilarious)
    > Night on Earth (takes place in five cities and has a really good Winona

    Ryder
    > short and an unforgettable sad story that takes place in Helsinki).
    >
    > Picnic at Hanging Rock. If you like slow movies and Bach music you'll

    love
    > this Australian film.
    >
    > Any John Woo flim if you love intense action.
    >
    > My Life to Live (Vivre sa vie) Anna Karina is electric. Unforgettable!
    >
    > Please share your recommendations.
    >
    > -DVDfanatico

    I would start by saying that anything directed by Andrei Tarkovsky is a
    5-star spectacle, my favourites being Stalker and The Mirror.

    Then, proceeding to Sweden, it's time for Ingmar Bergman... some say his
    movies are too slow... I just love them. Try The Seventh Seal, or maybe
    Fanny & Alexander. Wild Strawberries is also a regular favourite.

    Still in Europe, there are two great Portuguese directors that are worth a
    try: Joao Cesar Monteiro and Manoel de Oliveira. From the first, try God's
    Comedy and Come and Go (all his works have just been released in DVD by a
    Portuguese company: the movies have all been restored and are offered in
    high quality prints, along with all his short-movies, and lots more extras.
    English and French subtitles! Go to www.atalantafilmes.pt if you're
    interested). By Manoel de Oliveira, I could also recommend all of his work.
    If you want to check out some DVDs go to the same site, they have 5 of his
    movies on DVD. Very much worth it!!

    In Spain, there is the genious of Almodovar. Talk To Her may be his most
    famous, but Everything About My Mother, Kika and many more of his early work
    is also brilliant.

    Before going to the Orient, I would like to point out the great Lars Von
    Trier. The Idiots, Europa, Breaking The Waves, Dancer In The Dark and the
    recent Dogville are all top-notch movies.

    My final stack is a Japanese director whose work I have come to know and
    love. His name is Takeshi Kitano. Some people dismize his movies for being
    too violent. Try out The Summer of Kikuhjiro and Dolls. If you like the
    beauty of those movies then proceed to some of his more violent work, like
    Violent Cop, Hanna-Bi or even Brother. His latest, Zatoichi is also
    marvelous!

    Just my two cents!

    jgb, Feb 15, 2004

  3. On 15 Feb 2004 16:19:27 GMT, (DVDfanatico) wrote:

    I have lots of foreign films I like. My recent favourites are the Lord
    of the Rings trilogy, but I also like movies like the Princess Bride
    and Robocop. And don't forget the Evil Dead series!

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Feb 15, 2004
  4. DVDfanatico

    rwright Guest

    > Any Roberto Benigni movie:

    Ummm, how about PINOCCHIO?

    rwright, Feb 15, 2004
  5. The Celebration (Danish)

    My Neighbor Totoro

    La Femme Nikita

    La Jetee (on Short film compilation)

    Run Lola Run

    The Idiots (Von Trier)

    Daisies

    Vlvetmorning98, Feb 15, 2004
  6. Turkish Delight (Turkis Fruit)

    Spetters

    The 4th Man

    hard to believe, but Paul Verhoeven was once an incredible director

    Vlvetmorning98, Feb 15, 2004
  7. DVDfanatico

    jayembee Guest

    (DVDfanatico) wrote:

    >Which foreign films (from any region) do you recommend?

    More than you can shake a stick at. Here are some recommendations
    (non-English language only, so no British or Australian films). These
    are by no means the only ones I'd recommend, but are off the top of my
    head.

    From the Criterion Collection:

    any of the Kurosawa films
    TOKYO STORY
    KWAIDAN
    THE SEVENTH SEAL
    GRAND ILLUSION
    THE RULES OF THE GAME
    M. HULOT'S HOLIDAY
    CHILDREN OF PARADISE
    WAGES OF FEAR
    DIABOLIQUE
    BRANDED TO KILL
    ANDREI RUBLEV
    SOLARIS (Tarkovsky's original)
    INSOMNIA (the Norwegian original)
    MY LIFE AS A DOG
    LA STRADA
    L'AVVENTURA
    EISENSTEIN: THE SOUND YEARS (including ALEXANDER NEVSKY and IVAN THE
    TERRIBLE, Parts I and II)

    Others:

    THE MYSTERY OF RAMPO (just released)
    WINGS OF DESIRE
    CHUSINGURA
    THE 47 RONIN
    BLACK RAIN (Shohei Imamura, if you can find the OOP Image DVD)
    METROPOLIS
    The Apu Trilogy
    AKIRA KUROSAWA'S DREAMS
    THE SCENE OF GREEN PAPAYA
    THE VERTICAL RAY OF THE SUN
    COME AND SEE
    FAREWELL, MY CONCUBINE
    CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON
    TO LIVE

    and many, many more...

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Feb 16, 2004
  8. DVDfanatico

    Justin Guest

    jayembee wrote on [Mon, 16 Feb 2004 04:31:12 GMT]:
    > (DVDfanatico) wrote:
    >
    >>Which foreign films (from any region) do you recommend?

    > More than you can shake a stick at. Here are some recommendations
    > (non-English language only, so no British or Australian films).

    Why? And what about New Zealand or South African films?

    Justin, Feb 16, 2004
  9. > (DVDfanatico) wrote:

    >Which foreign films (from any region) do you recommend?

    By "foreign", do you mean non-American films?

    Maureen Goldman, Feb 16, 2004
  10. DVDfanatico

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > jayembee wrote on [Mon, 16 Feb 2004 04:31:12 GMT]:
    >
    >> (DVDfanatico) wrote:
    >>

    >>>Which foreign films (from any region) do you recommend?

    >>More than you can shake a stick at. Here are some recommendations
    >>(non-English language only, so no British or Australian films).

    > Why? And what about New Zealand or South African films?

    Well I can' answer for Jerry, but if you include British then you start
    including lots of movies that most of "us Americans" might not consider
    foreign such as Dr. No or Lawrence of Arabia.

    IMHO
    YMMV

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Feb 16, 2004
  11. DVDfanatico

    jayembee Guest

    Justin <> wrote:

    >jayembee wrote:
    >
    >> (DVDfanatico) wrote:
    >>
    >>>Which foreign films (from any region) do you recommend?

    >> More than you can shake a stick at. Here are some recommendations
    >> (non-English language only, so no British or Australian films).

    >Why? And what about New Zealand or South African films?

    Neither of those. Nor Canadian films.

    Anyways...why? you ask? Because it would increase the size of the list
    by an absurd amount. Plus, the fact that, in general, the term
    "foreign film" -- at least as used in the US -- means foreign-LANGUAGE
    film.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Feb 16, 2004
  12. DVDfanatico

    jonalouvjona Guest

    On 15 Feb 2004 16:19:27 GMT, (DVDfanatico) wrote:

    >Which foreign films (from any region) do you recommend?

    Brave Archer series.

    Celestial Pictures will be releasing them this year in Region 3.
    Miramax might release them in Region 1 in a few years.

    jonalouvjona, Feb 16, 2004
  13. DVDfanatico

    Lothar Guest

    2001 - A Space Odyssey - #1 without question.
    Evil Dead 2
    7th Voyage of Sindbad

    Should I mention that I'm German ;)

    Lothar, Feb 16, 2004
  14. DVDfanatico

    Justin Guest

    jayembee wrote on [Mon, 16 Feb 2004 06:28:59 GMT]:
    > Justin <> wrote:
    >
    >>jayembee wrote:

    >>> More than you can shake a stick at. Here are some recommendations
    >>> (non-English language only, so no British or Australian films).

    >>Why? And what about New Zealand or South African films?

    > Neither of those. Nor Canadian films.
    >
    > Anyways...why? you ask? Because it would increase the size of the list
    > by an absurd amount. Plus, the fact that, in general, the term
    > "foreign film" -- at least as used in the US -- means foreign-LANGUAGE
    > film.

    heh. I guess. Then again I find most "Joe Sixpacks" don't watch movies
    from outside the US for the most part, at all, even the English speaking
    countries, because they can't understand what they're saying.

    Justin, Feb 16, 2004
  15. DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico Guest

    Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm from the U.S so I meant non U.S.
    films. Ich liebe deutsche film. I have a region free player and Amazon.de
    sells a lot of German DVD's.

    What's your favorite German films?

    -DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico, Feb 17, 2004
  16. DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico Guest

    Thank you very much for the recommendations!

    -DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico, Feb 17, 2004
  17. DVDfanatico

    Jordan Lund Guest

    (DVDfanatico) wrote in message news:<>...

    > Please share your recommendations.

    Metropolis - 1927, Silent, B&W, Friz Lang. THE dystopian futurism
    flick. Should be required viewing for everyone. There's a really nice
    DVD edition out now if you can find it. Influenced everything from
    Star Wars to Blade Runner to Akira to the anime version "Metropolis".

    Amazon Link - http://tinyurl.com/3gz9u
    IMDB Link - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017136/

    M - 1931, German, Friz Lang, Peter Lorre's first flick. A child
    murderer is on the loose and is hunted down by both the police and the
    criminal underground. Available as a Criterion DVD.

    Amazon Link - http://tinyurl.com/23ynf
    IMDB Link - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022100/

    Seven Samurai - 1954, Japanese, B&W, Akira Kurosawa. Seven Samurai
    band together to save a farming village from vicious raiders. Basis
    for the U.S. flick "The Magnificent Seven". Also a Criterion DVD

    Amazon Link - http://tinyurl.com/3gapm
    IMDB Link - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047478/

    Wings of Desire - 1987, German, B&W & Color, Wim Wenders. Angels
    observe the hidden thoughts of the people of Berlin. One angel falls
    in love and gives it all up to be human. Basis for the U.S. flick
    "City of Angels". Also had a sequel called "Far Away, So Close".

    Amazon Link - http://tinyurl.com/2bgye
    IMDB Link - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093191/

    Jordan Lund, Feb 17, 2004
  18. DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico Guest

    Thanks. I saw City of Angels before and thought it was quite good.

    DVDfanatico, Feb 18, 2004
  19. DVDfanatico

    Lothar Guest

    Well, now that you ask :).

    I like all the "Dr. Mabuse" films, classic stuff, even though the last
    ones got a bit tacky. I just bought the original 1922 one which I've
    never seen. "Das Kabinett des Dr. Caligari" and "M" are also excellent,
    as is the 1943 "Münchhausen". Does "Der Schatz im Silbersee" ring a bell?

    http://amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004S5T4/qid=1077114748/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_2/028-2916708-5307739

    For more recent films, I found "Lola rennt" quite acceptable, also
    "Anatomie".

    So what about Metropolis? It's a good movie, but as a German I feel a
    little uncomfortable watching it, considering the historical background.
    It was an experience to see it on the big screen last year, though -
    accompanied by live orchestra, no less.

    Lothar, Feb 18, 2004
  20. DVDfanatico

    Lothar Guest

    Glad you asked:

    "Das Kabinett des Dr. Caligari"
    All "Dr. Mabuse" films (though the last ones got a bit tacky);
    "Metropolis" (though I feel a bit uncomfaortable watching it, being
    aware of the political background at the time the film was made)
    "M"
    "Münchhausen" (1943)
    "Der Frosch mit der Maske" (Klaus Kinski falling out of the wardrobe, wow)
    "Der Hexer"
    "Der Schatz im Silbersee"

    For some more recent ones:

    "Lola rennt" is OK, as is